Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Who else is ready to see Nauta live up to his potential?

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Pigeons said:

@CoachRob16 said:
    Plenty of times all they had to do is run the TE's down the seam and they would have walked into the end zone, but unfortunately Chaney hasn't a clue how to use TE's.

Translation: All we had to do was ask our true freshman QB to make one of the most dangerous and difficult passes there is and Nauta would have walked into the end zone.

TEs are considered safety valves for inexperienced QBs.
    The idea they are tougher to target than 5'10'' WRs seems a tad off.

• Options
    chattanoogadawgchattanoogadawg Posts: 151 ✭✭✭ Junior

@WCDawg said:
    Nauta had far more yardage as a true freshman than he did this year.
    I didn't start this thread you know, I never said the TEs wouldn't be targeted more either.
    I did state my firm opinion that a TE who is interested in playing pro ball needs in an offense that gets the ball to him, which was not the case this season.
    It's up to our coaches, they can include them more if they make the effort.

I agree with wanting to involve the position more.

Let's call it a day (or 2) on this one - for everyone's sake haha.

• Options

@chattanoogadawg said:

@WCDawg said:
    Nauta had far more yardage as a true freshman than he did this year.
    I didn't start this thread you know, I never said the TEs wouldn't be targeted more either.
    I did state my firm opinion that a TE who is interested in playing pro ball needs in an offense that gets the ball to him, which was not the case this season.
    It's up to our coaches, they can include them more if they make the effort.

I agree with wanting to involve the position more.

Let's call it a day (or 2) on this one - for everyone's sake haha.

On the other hand, it's not like much is popping in other threads this afternoon.
    I'll just answer posts as they come in.

• Options
    CoachRob16CoachRob16 Posts: 428 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Pigeons said:

@CoachRob16 said:
    Plenty of times all they had to do is run the TE's down the seam and they would have walked into the end zone, but unfortunately Chaney hasn't a clue how to use TE's.

Translation: All we had to do was ask our true freshman QB to make one of the most dangerous and difficult passes there is and Nauta would have walked into the end zone.

Really not that difficult when you run the ball like we do. LB's play closer to the line and it creates a natural lane to throw in.

• Options
    JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:
    why would a kid with NFL dreams come to UGA as a TE ?

Because Georgia is, bar none, the best place in the universe to spend your college years. Some things in life are more important than NFL contracts.

• Options

@JoelSidneyKelly said:

@WCDawg said:
    why would a kid with NFL dreams come to UGA as a TE ?

Because Georgia is, bar none, the best place in the universe to spend your college years. Some things in life are more important than NFL contracts.

Sorry, but that is naive.
    No parent or mentor should tell a young man that.
    One good NFL contract would be enough to change lives, not just the player's life but his wife and children's lives for the better.

This notion of pretending football football players are somehow a breed apart bothers me. We all have the same priorities in life. Where we spend our college years is important, but not nearly as important as what comes next.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Since we can’t target the TEs more until next fall, let’s take a wait and see approach... If you said Eason would go out game one, and a freshman came in to lead us to the NC no one would’ve believed you in September.

You know we have good problems when all a few folks can do is whine about TEs not seeing enough targets. Last offseason it was offensive line, receivers, QB development, defense going from good to great, coaches taking the next step in year 2, etc. So, if we’re down to mainly TE targets then I’ll take that. I guarantee there’s a plan to get TEs more involved, and that’ll require them getting open. As I referenced above, they weren’t open. Feel free to go watch the game replays to see how “open” our TEs were. Chaney proved 2 seasons ago he’s capable of targeting them more, and that was primarily with a true freshman TE. Two years in a row of freshmen QBs doesn’t usually provide the most perfectly balanced offenses. Luckily our recruits see that, and aren’t as shortsighted as some posters on here.

• Options

@Teddy said:
    Since we can’t target the TEs more until next fall, let’s take a wait and see approach... If you said Eason would go out game one, and a freshman came in to lead us to the NC no one would’ve believed you in September.

You know we have good problems when all a few folks can do is whine about TEs not seeing enough targets. Last offseason it was offensive line, receivers, QB development, defense going from good to great, coaches taking the next step in year 2, etc. So, if we’re down to mainly TE targets then I’ll take that. I guarantee there’s a plan to get TEs more involved, and that’ll require them getting open. As I referenced above, they weren’t open. Feel free to go watch the game replays to see how “open” our TEs were. Chaney proved 2 seasons ago he’s capable of targeting them more, and that was primarily with a true freshman TE. Two years in a row of freshmen QBs doesn’t usually provide the most perfectly balanced offenses. Luckily our recruits see that, and aren’t as shortsighted as some posters on here.

I see your point.
    From now on we'll just giggle about how good life is and braid each other's hair.

• Options
    oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@Kasey said:
    Gronk is who Gronk is bc he loves and is good at blocking. If he wasn't, he wouldn't be on the Pats, he'd be like Kellen Winslow.

I think this obsession with throwing to the TEs is a product of fantasy football. I don't understand why people on here can't see that with a freshman QB and an inexperienced line and a team that wanted to establish the run the TEs were going to be needed to block. Also in the SEC, the DLs are much tougher and will call for TEs to hang in and block.

Can we all just wait until the 2018 season and see what happens? The line will be established and so will the QB. I'm guessing we see Nauta and Charlie getting in on the pass-catching action much more. But I'm sure even if they do it won't be enough for some people and they will start calling for Chaney's head and whining about how they only had one TD in the game instead of three

agree. But being like Kellen Winslow isn't all that bad, is it? Are you talking about KW senior or junior? Senior could catch and block quite well. I guess you are referring to Junior. I think his short career was due more to head problems than anything else.

Show me a TE who has been drafted in the early rounds who wasn't either very productive as a receiver in college or a freak like OJ Howard who was drafted almost entirely on potential as a pass catcher.
    I get this, you're always going to get strong push back from fans on a site dedicated to a team if you have any opinion that can be perceived as not 100% selling the program.
    Bottom line, Nauta and Luke Ford need to catch the ball to train and display their ability or coming to UGA will be costly.

I understand what you are saying about tight ends but it also true of wide receivers and running backs. Every pass thrown to a tight end is a pass not thrown to a wide receiver or a running play not handed off to a running back. As good as Nauta is you are not likely to convence me that he and Woerner are better tight ends than Chubb, Michel and Swift were as running backs. There is also the thought that if you throw a pass four things can happen and only one of them is good.

• Options

@oldon42 said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@Kasey said:
    Gronk is who Gronk is bc he loves and is good at blocking. If he wasn't, he wouldn't be on the Pats, he'd be like Kellen Winslow.

I think this obsession with throwing to the TEs is a product of fantasy football. I don't understand why people on here can't see that with a freshman QB and an inexperienced line and a team that wanted to establish the run the TEs were going to be needed to block. Also in the SEC, the DLs are much tougher and will call for TEs to hang in and block.

Can we all just wait until the 2018 season and see what happens? The line will be established and so will the QB. I'm guessing we see Nauta and Charlie getting in on the pass-catching action much more. But I'm sure even if they do it won't be enough for some people and they will start calling for Chaney's head and whining about how they only had one TD in the game instead of three

agree. But being like Kellen Winslow isn't all that bad, is it? Are you talking about KW senior or junior? Senior could catch and block quite well. I guess you are referring to Junior. I think his short career was due more to head problems than anything else.

Show me a TE who has been drafted in the early rounds who wasn't either very productive as a receiver in college or a freak like OJ Howard who was drafted almost entirely on potential as a pass catcher.
    I get this, you're always going to get strong push back from fans on a site dedicated to a team if you have any opinion that can be perceived as not 100% selling the program.
    Bottom line, Nauta and Luke Ford need to catch the ball to train and display their ability or coming to UGA will be costly.

I understand what you are saying about tight ends but it also true of wide receivers and running backs. Every pass thrown to a tight end is a pass not thrown to a wide receiver or a running play not handed off to a running back. As good as Nauta is you are not likely to convence me that he and Woerner are better tight ends than Chubb, Michel and Swift were as running backs. There is also the thought that if you throw a pass four things can happen and only one of them is good.

Our WRs and backs are used though, that basically invalidates the comparison to my thinking.
    Every other position has the opportunity to see the ball based on merit.
    We run with our RBs, we pass to our WR's and slot receivers, we use every LO and DL position, all the LB and DB positions, we kick, we return.
    Only TEs are under utilized as of this season.
    If we ran Ga. Tech's offense we couldn't do justice to a stable of elite receivers, get it ?

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@oldon42 said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@Kasey said:

Incomplete, intercepted and complete - what’s the 4th. Sack.? I always heard it was 3 and only one was good via Darrell Royal

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

I see your point.
    From now on we'll just giggle about how good life is and braid each other's hair.

Sounds about right for you. You’re already whining like a 7 year old girl. Braiding hair just fits... you stated your point a couple dozen times, time to move on. I think we’d all like to see the TEs involved more, but we took what the defenses gave us and had our best offense since the Bobo era.

• Options
    tymoon31tymoon31 Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:
    Unless it's an attitude issue this is on our coaches.
    It's ridiculous we haven't been able to utilize the best group of TEs in the country.
    Honestly I'm shocked we're still able to recruit the position.
    Kirby says the problem is how defenses use their secondaries...BS.
    If that was all it took to neutralize TEs we wouldn't see the many unstoppable TEs at every level.
    the great thing about TEs is they are tough match ups. They are too big for DBs and very few LBs can match them athletically.
    These kids are wasting away on our roster.

It's his attitude. Kirby has confirmed that.

• Options

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

I see your point.

Sounds about right for you. You’re already whining like a 7 year old girl. Braiding hair just fits... you stated your point a couple dozen times, time to move on. I think we’d all like to see the TEs involved more, but we took what the defenses gave us and had our best offense since the Bobo era.

You're like a child who expects to get the last word in.
    If by 2 seasons ago you mean 2016/2017, Chaney did hit the then true freshman Nauta more, not a lot, but more.
    You have to go all the way back to 1997 thru 2001 where Drew Brees connected with Tim Stratton for 2096 yards and 10 tds over 4 seasons to see a Chaney team utilize a TE consistently, but Brees is tailor made to connect with TEs.
    He also Mychal Rivera for 562 in 2012 at Tenn and Luke Stocker for 417 in 2010 and 389 in 2009 at Tenn. Oh Hunter Henry had 920 yards over 2 seasons at Arky as well.
    He needs to get it done here. None of those seasons were spectacular, but a total of 800 to 900 yards to our TEs over a season will be good enough.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

I see your point.

If by 2 seasons ago you mean 2016/2017, Chaney did hit the then true freshman Nauta more, not a lot, but more.
    You have to go all the way back to 1997 thru 2001 where Drew Brees connected with Tim Stratton for 2096 yards and 10 tds over 4 seasons to see a Chaney team utilize a TE consistently, but Brees is tailor made to connect with TEs.
    He also Mychal Rivera for 562 in 2012 at Tenn and Luke Stocker for 417 in 2010 and 389 in 2009 at Tenn. Oh Hunter Henry had 920 yards over 2 seasons at Arky as well.
    He needs to get it done here. None of those seasons were spectacular, but a total of 800 to 900 yards to our TEs over a season will be good enough.

Let’s add up how many comments on this thread we each have and see who’s the one trying to get the last word in.

Realistically, most teams that utilize TEs well they account for about a quarter of their passing yards. With Fromm getting 2600 yards, that’d put a consistent TE usage at 650 yards for this past season. So, maybe the issue is Fromm, should we replace him? Since he’s not getting to your quota. Or if Fromm isn’t the issue then it must be Chaney, and he should’ve given Chubb and Michel the ball less, since our TEs are more valuable. So many great choices, all so we can get our TEs several hundred more yards. Or basically a few more catches a game.

As others have said, Fromm was clearly more comfortable throwing to the outside and deep, aka where TEs usually aren’t. I’m sure he’ll work on any deficiencies he has in the offseason. So again, let’s take a wait and see approach in our offenses’ development overall.

Also, you say that all those Chaney tight end stats are not “spectacular,” you do realize those are all actually solid seasons, right? Only 4 tight ends in the FBS got more than 600 yards receiving this year. 400+ yards a season and you’re a well above average college tight end. Hayden Hurst with USCe, I think who we’d all consider an elite TE, had a total of 559 yards (7th best in FBS). Several TEs in this year’s mock drafts, who are considered top 5 TEs in the draft, had receiving yard totals in the 300s this year. So, based on Nauta’s freshman year, he’s already proven he can be drafted.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

I see your point.

Let’s add up how many comments on this thread we each have and see who’s the one trying to get the last word in.

Realistically, most teams that utilize TEs well they account for about a quarter of their passing yards. With Fromm getting 2600 yards, that’d put a consistent TE usage at 650 yards for this past season. So, maybe the issue is Fromm, should we replace him? Since he’s not getting to your quota. Or if Fromm isn’t the issue then it must be Chaney, and he should’ve given Chubb and Michel the ball less, since our TEs are more valuable. So many great choices, all so we can get our TEs several hundred more yards. Or basically a few more catches a game.

As others have said, Fromm was clearly more comfortable throwing to the outside and deep, aka where TEs usually aren’t. I’m sure he’ll work on any deficiencies he has in the offseason. So again, let’s take a wait and see approach in our offenses’ development overall.

Also, you say that all those Chaney tight end stats are not “spectacular,” you do realize those are all actually solid seasons, right? Only 4 tight ends in the FBS got more than 600 yards receiving this year. 400+ yards a season and you’re a well above average college tight end. Hayden Hurst with USCe, I think who we’d all consider an elite TE, had a total of 559 yards (7th best in FBS). Several TEs in this year’s mock drafts, who are considered top 5 TEs in the draft, had receiving yard totals in the 300s this year. So, based on Nauta’s freshman year, he’s already proven he can be drafted.

thank you. Players will be found, even in DII for crying out loud. Next topic?

• Options
    oldon42oldon42 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@oldon42 said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@Kasey said:

Incomplete, intercepted and complete - what’s the 4th. Sack.? I always heard it was 3 and only one was good via Darrell Royal

My mistake it is three. This does not change the point.

• Options
    MyKeithbb09MyKeithbb09 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭ Junior

@DawgsofWar said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:
    Smells like a troll got out

At least have the guts to be direct.
    I don't see anything to suggest there is any trolling.
    Anybody with the ability to read stats can see see have done a very poor job at utilizing TEs .
    why would a kid with NFL dreams come to UGA as a TE ? The NFL doesn't give blocking TEs big contracts.
    What I am is a true UGA fan who manages to remain honest.

If you were a true UGA fan, you would realize that Kirby did utilize TEs properly this year.
    If you were a true UGA fan, you would be happy that these kids did choose to play for Georgia rather than any other school.
    If you were a true UGA fan, you would realize that everybody on a team plays a role. Hence TEs playing a blocking role last year to get the RBs a hole to run in.

His post doesn't mean he isn't a true fan & truthfully he is right when it comes to UGA TEs when it comes to us catching passes in our system. But I do also see the other side of the example given about our 1st year year the last 2 years adding the situation with OL also. Fromm will be better in his 2nd year with the addition of a way better OL also,so our TEs will catch more passes I truly believe in the upcoming years. His post doesn't mean he isn't a true UGA fan because he season things different from how you see things. If you understood football you would get his point but I'm wrong for saying that because 2 people can see the same thing but just see them differently. GoDawgs

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@Kasey said:

Well, I'll say it again. This is a conversation with no purpose. Alabama has exactly ONE tight end playing in the NFL. ND and Stanford have 5. Who do we want to be? Why do we care about having a TE drafted in the early rounds? Georgia has always been about producing strong blocking tight ends who support the run game and who can catch passes. Thats not going to change. I think the low TE distribution was because defenses were playing closer to the ball because of our run game, which absolutely does take the TE out in a lot of situations. The reason Fromm led the NCAA in QB efficiency on deep routes is that we saw a lot of safeties creeping up and leaving single protection over the top with the safety then having to scramble to play catch up in coverage. Take what's given to you. Either way, I believe we see more of Woerner than Nauta. Kirby has singled Nauta out for not practicing well at least twice.