Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What Braves should do now...

Comments

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@TMazz2009 said:
    Still need relief pitching....

Lineup looks good....really good even. Will miss Suzuki....he was a solid hitter as a back up catcher and pinch hitter. Need to fill that hole cause Lord knows you need a capable bat on the bench in the National League.

Starting pitching is young. Some growing pains there but we gotta get some bullpen help or it will be tough to beat those elite 4 or 5 teams in the playoffs.

But this team is fun to watch. That's half the battle is fielding and exciting product. Something the Hawks need to figure out. Get RJ or Zion and people will come.

Suzuki was invaluable IMO. Clutch hitting, decent defense and great team guy. Sad to see him go.

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I feel like they have a spot or two in the lineup to fill and even they aren't sure where they are going to get that from, the bullpen I feel like they want to see how everyone looks early and see how it comes together. A lot of the great bullpens were put together with hard throwing retread starters.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@TMazz2009 said:
    Still need relief pitching....

Lineup looks good....really good even. Will miss Suzuki....he was a solid hitter as a back up catcher and pinch hitter. Need to fill that hole cause Lord knows you need a capable bat on the bench in the National League.

Starting pitching is young. Some growing pains there but we gotta get some bullpen help or it will be tough to beat those elite 4 or 5 teams in the playoffs.

But this team is fun to watch. That's half the battle is fielding and exciting product. Something the Hawks need to figure out. Get RJ or Zion and people will come.

Suzuki was invaluable IMO. Clutch hitting, decent defense and great team guy. Sad to see him go.

McCann is back, I'm not sure if it's a push, but he'll help.

• Options

@TNDawg71 said:
    I feel like they have a spot or two in the lineup to fill and even they aren't sure where they are going to get that from, the bullpen I feel like they want to see how everyone looks early and see how it comes together. A lot of the great bullpens were put together with hard throwing retread starters.

Few teams are set going into spring training. I think we need a few pieces, but so does just about every team. If Donaldson has a good year and our young budding stars continue to develop, last year won't be a flash in the pan.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@TNDawg71 said:

Few teams are set going into spring training. I think we need a few pieces, but so does just about every team. If Donaldson has a good year and our young budding stars continue to develop, last year won't be a flash in the pan.

Unless the starting pitching staff takes a step back I see this team as a contender til September for sure. If they take a step forward then this team could be really good.

• Options

@TNDawg71 said:

@WCDawg said:

@TNDawg71 said:

Unless the starting pitching staff takes a step back I see this team as a contender til September for sure. If they take a step forward then this team could be really good.

Starting pitching for The Braves should be better because the staff is young and still not solidified. The numbers from last season were very good though, so it's hard to project them getting much better.

• Options
    JackLatttyJackLattty Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

We’ve got to do something about RF. I don’t think Camargo can play there and I don’t trust Culberson for a full time spot. I want AJ Pollock.

• Options

And of course some bullpen pieces.

• Options
    edited December 2018

@JackLattty said:
    We’ve got to do something about RF. I don’t think Camargo can play there and I don’t trust Culberson for a full time spot. I want AJ Pollock.

Markakis has better stats.

• Options
  • Options

@TNDawg71 said:
    I want Kluber

He'd be my pick of any starter to sign for 3 years. I don't see the team investing big in a starter though. We have maybe 5 young candidates to emerge as the ace of the staff in the next few years.

• Options
    KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2018

Markakis has better stats and he's just a year older.

Markakis is 4 years and 1 month older than pollack. AJ is freshly 31 and nick turned 35 in November. Moreover pollack has battled injuries for seemingly every season, but when he has been healthy he’s a better hitter and fielder than nick.

Nick had an absurd 2018, destroying his projections and playing in all 162 games with a 114 wrc+ and 2.6 WAR. Pollock played in just 113, was close to nicks batting line with a 110 wrc+ and amassed 2.5 WAR. Assuming any decent outfield depth To take over for pollock in 50 games, i would take pollock over nick because of roughly equal to better hitting and better defense and baserunning. While nick probably plays more games, if you get 100+ out of pollock he will probably be a more valuable asset than 150 games of Nick.

The biggest difference is one projection system (Steamer) projects pollock for 3.1 WAR in 146 games while it projects markakis for 1.1 WAR in 146 games. Teams have their own projection systems that aren’t public, but are probably similar to publicly available ones.

Now it is an interesting thought over which you’d prefer on the Braves, since pollock may be 3-4 years at 15-20 Million a year where you could get nick for a 1 year 10 Million deal for sure. Since pollock has injury issues in his past, a 3-4 year deal for him is a decent sized risk, especially with him being 31 and likely to be declining.

• Options
    KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A name a lot of people in Braves forums are bringing up is the Mariners Mitch Hanniger. Good young player, under team control for I think 4 more years, and on a team that may be willing to deal him. Would cost a lot to get him though.

• Options

Man > @WCDawg said:

@JackLattty said:

I think aj is a riskier choice, but can be an upgrade to nick. But he could also miss 75 games and be a miss. He had 21 hr to nicks 14 with 200 less abs.

• Options

@Kirbstomper said:
    A name a lot of people in Braves forums are bringing up is the Mariners Mitch Hanniger. Good young player, under team control for I think 4 more years, and on a team that may be willing to deal him. Would cost a lot to get him though.

Hanniger would be ideal, but I think the mariners would ask too much for him.

• Options
    edited December 2018

@Kirbstomper said:

Markakis is 4 years and 1 month older than pollack. AJ is freshly 31 and nick turned 35 in November. Moreover pollack has battled injuries for seemingly every season, but when he has been healthy he’s a better hitter and fielder than nick.

Nick had an absurd 2018, destroying his projections and playing in all 162 games with a 114 wrc+ and 2.6 WAR. Pollock played in just 113, was close to nicks batting line with a 110 wrc+ and amassed 2.5 WAR. Assuming any decent outfield depth To take over for pollock in 50 games, i would take pollock over nick because of roughly equal to better hitting and better defense and baserunning. While nick probably plays more games, if you get 100+ out of pollock he will probably be a more valuable asset than 150 games of Nick.

The biggest difference is one projection system (Steamer) projects pollock for 3.1 WAR in 146 games while it projects markakis for 1.1 WAR in 146 games. Teams have their own projection systems that aren’t public, but are probably similar to publicly available ones.

Now it is an interesting thought over which you’d prefer on the Braves, since pollock may be 3-4 years at 15-20 Million a year where you could get nick for a 1 year 10 Million deal for sure. Since pollock has injury issues in his past, a 3-4 year deal for him is a decent sized risk, especially with him being 31 and likely to be declining.

I edited the post about Markakis's age 5 minutes before you posted, you must have been typing your post. Nick has far better OBP and more doubles than Pollack, and not just last season. I would sign Markakis over Pollack any day of the week. Markakis has averaged 39 doubles and a .358 OBP the past 4 seasons while playing almost every game. Pollock missed most of the 2016 season and he averaged just 28 doubles in his last 4 full seasons ( minus the 2016 season). His OBP has averaged just .324 since 2015.

• Options

@JackLattty said:

why couldn't Camargo play there? He's very athletic. It's a lot easier position than the infield and he has a very strong throwing arm.

• Options

@donm said:

@JackLattty said:

why couldn't Camargo play there? He's very athletic. It's a lot easier position than the infield and he has a very strong throwing arm.

Either Camargo or Riley.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@TNDawg71 said:
    I want Kluber

He'd be my pick of any starter to sign for 3 years. I don't see the team investing big in a starter though. We have maybe 5 young candidates to emerge as the ace of the staff in the next few years.

Alas, all aces are not created equal.

• Options

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@TNDawg71 said:
    I want Kluber

Alas, all aces are not created equal.

I'm referring to true aces, not 1st in a rotation. Not many teams have a true ace.