Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Down Voting

BrooklynDawgBrooklynDawg Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We need guidelines for these down votes. A lot of you are either being sensitive or trolls, but the amount of down votes I see on some is ridicules. I joined the forum because I saw open minded DAWG fans enjoying healthy debates without their egos getting bruised. Now it seems this forum is starting to resemble the other sites in their pettiness. I'm not saying everything should be wrapped in bubble wrap and nobody touches the down vote, but be more objective. Trolls, other fans being extremely negative, and self promotions I feel is all warranted for down votes, flags, and off topics. If we are just debating and we are going back and forth save the down vote. Please don't turn this site into an ego fest. We are here for the DAWGS.

Comments

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

''SENSITIVE'' how ironic.

• BrooklynDawgBrooklynDawg Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

You really want to be petty? I already PM you, we can talk there.

@christopherules said:
    GO DAWGS!!!

When you try to be the adult...GO DAWGS. Hey @Christopherules

@WCDawg said:

Get off my jock hommie

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@VALDOSTADAWG said:
    One thing you could try is not quoting @WCDawg and furthering the argument. He'll get the last word mostly every time.

I appreciate everyone on this board except @thebamaWay

I ain't saying nothin.

@VALDOSTADAWG said:
    One thing you could try is not quoting @WCDawg and furthering the argument. He'll get the last word mostly every time.

I appreciate everyone on this board except @thebamaWay

Made a new post and look who the 1st one is, you are right though. Can't help it sometimes, I wasn't taught to bite my tongue.

• sauceddawgsauceddawg Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

I agree with this. lets not make this like reddit or some **** site where ppl get downvoted for unpopular opinions. Trolls from other schools can gth though

@sauceddawg said:
    I agree with this. lets not make this like reddit or some **** site where ppl get downvoted for unpopular opinions. Trolls from other schools can gth though

I came here to escape all of that, it's starting to turn into Reddit. Not even just me, I have seen it with a lot of other posters and it's getting real old.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BrooklynDawg said:
    We need guidelines for these down votes. A lot of you are either being sensitive or trolls, but the amount of down votes I see on some is ridicules. I joined the forum because I saw open minded DAWG fans enjoying healthy debates without their egos getting bruised. Now it seems this forum is starting to resemble the other sites in their pettiness. I'm not saying everything should be wrapped in bubble wrap and nobody touches the down vote, but be more objective. Trolls, other fans being extremely negative, and self promotions I feel is all warranted for down votes, flags, and off topics. If we are just debating and we are going back and forth save the down vote. Please don't turn this site into an ego fest. We are here for the DAWGS.

It's clear, at least to me, that there are a variety of reasons why folks use the DV. I don't belong to any other forums than this one. Do others have a "I disagree with you" button? Maybe the use of the button for various reasons suggests we need various buttons?

Personally, I use the DV when I believe someone is rude or intentionally hurtful. Calling some one dumb, or an idiot or worse, can get my finger headed toward the DV button. The most recent DV I used was for someone calling someone else a pr!ck. Obviously, my own personal values/morals/ethics come into play here. I don't recall ever using DV to signal simple disagreement with someone's opinion. I do think a study of DV patterns would show they decline once football gets here, at least as long as the Dawgs are winning a lot.

• CharlestowneDawgCharlestowneDawg Posts: 211 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited July 2018

Serious question....are there penalties to an account for downvotes or vice versa for upvotes? I'm just trying to understand why this is a such consistent issue and why people care so much?

• sauceddawgsauceddawg Posts: 212 ✭✭✭ Junior

it's starting to turn into Reddit.

Its not that bad yet. Ppl here don't think theyre actual analysts/reporters over here

@donm said:

@BrooklynDawg said:

It's clear, at least to me, that there are a variety of reasons why folks use the DV. I don't belong to any other forums than this one. Do others have a "I disagree with you" button? Maybe the use of the button for various reasons suggests we need various buttons?

Personally, I use the DV when I believe someone is rude or intentionally hurtful. Calling some one dumb, or an idiot or worse, can get my finger headed toward the DV button. The most recent DV I used was for someone calling someone else a pr!ck. Obviously, my own personal values/morals/ethics come into play here. I don't recall ever using DV to signal simple disagreement with someone's opinion. I do think a study of DV patterns would show they decline once football gets here, at least as long as the Dawgs are winning a lot.

I try to steer away from the same things, if you can't say something nice... I don't see a disagree button for other sites. I quit them all. But I think should have that feature here. That will stop some of the unnessary mess we deal with. That will leave a lot of people's point average alone, too.

@CharlestowneDawg said:
    Serious question....are there penalties to an account for downvotes or vice versa for upvotes? I'm just trying to understand why this is a such consistent issue and why people care so much?

Yes, DV go against your point average here.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BrooklynDawg said:

@donm said:

@BrooklynDawg said:

I try to steer away from the same things, if you can't say something nice... I don't see a disagree button for other sites. I quit them all. But I think should have that feature here. That will stop some of the unnessary mess we deal with. That will leave a lot of people's point average alone, too.

Point average? What is that? What does one get points for? Are they redeemable for anything?

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Something I agree with all of y’all is?
    GO DAWGS!!!

@sauceddawg said:

it's starting to turn into Reddit.

Its not that bad yet. Ppl here don't think theyre actual analysts/reporters over here

True, but we are now getting the ego hounds that believe their opinion is gospel and if we go against it then we are the devil.