Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

The Braves traded 3 good prospects for a .205 hitter...

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MacDawg15 said:
    As precious as every win is would everyone agree if this guy knocks a few key runs in that lead to a win instead of loss he was worth it (given we make the playoffs of course??)

AVERAGES matter. If you go to Vegas and lose more than you win, counting the wins as wins is fools' gold.
    If he comes up in 20 important situations and fails in 15 or 16 of them, he'll be a net minus.

• Options
    MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:
    As precious as every win is would everyone agree if this guy knocks a few key runs in that lead to a win instead of loss he was worth it (given we make the playoffs of course??)

AVERAGES matter. If you go to Vegas and lose more than you win, counting the wins as wins is fools' gold.
    If he comes up in 20 important situations and fails in 15 or 16 of them, he'll be a net minus.

I'm thinking that in a close pennant race, with teams within a game or two of each other, 3-4 games won with his help might make this trade more tolerable.

• Options

what are your big 3 doing for us? Call me out if Sims becomes a stud. This is getting rediculous

• Options

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

I'm thinking that in a close pennant race, with teams within a game or two of each other, 3-4 games won with his help might make this trade more tolerable.

THISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS IS MY POINT

• Options

@MacDawg15 said:
    what are your big 3 doing for us? Call me out if Sims becomes a stud. This is getting rediculous

It seems that, in the past, whenever a player left Atlanta, he always did better. Maybe I just recall a few select instances, but it feels that way. Matt Kemp is the latest.

• Options

@donm said:

@MacDawg15 said:

It seems that, in the past, whenever a player left Atlanta, he always did better. Maybe I just recall a few select instances, but it feels that way. Matt Kemp is the latest.

That's just baseball. Alot has to do sometimes with changing leagues, WHERE a guy goes. For example Brach last nite. He's coming from an awful baseball team and now is pitching in very meaningful appearances. So many factors

• Options
    ChaseAtlAzChaseAtlAz Posts: 54 ✭✭ Sophomore

I don't mind the trade, even though Duvall doesn't seem to be hitting. If I'm not mistaken, Tucker and Wisler are out of options, so they can't be sent down without being subject to waivers. Since we have much better pitching prospects, they were likely gone after this year anyway. This is more of a Sims for Duvall move, while also clearing up 2 roster spots for for additional call-ups, or another trade. It seems more lopsided than it really is IMO. But who knows, it could play out in a number of ways. For now, we get a veteran presence, who hits for power (even if only against lefties), and plays good defense.

• Options
    PeachCoDawgPeachCoDawg Posts: 489 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@donm said:

@MacDawg15 said:

Or the reverse. When they get to ATL they play like ****. But as said, that's baseball. I guess we'll see if this trade works out. It's time for us to get HOT or it won't matter

• Options
    Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2018
  • Options
    Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@orlando said:
    Typical Braves bs

They are related to the falcons ya know

• Options

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

You miss the point of averages. If he loses as many or more by not coming through at a reasonable rate, he's a net negative.

• Options

@donm said:

@MacDawg15 said:

Kemp had been a star, only health issues made acquiring him questionable at the time. Letting him go was probably the mistake.

• Options

Bottom line baseball is the only game where offensively you can fail 70% of the time and end up in Cooperstown. My main point is even if Sims turns out to stay in the league 7+ years we have SO many better arms with MUCH higher ceilings than him. IMO he may be an ok middle reliever which is no shame. These guys are the best players on earth. Was Walker's bat helping us? I say again you fail MUCH more than you succeed in this game. If the guy plays solid D and goes 1 for 4 with 2rbi's and strikes out 3 times will you take it? Yea he whiffed and got the hat trick, but 1 of those 2 rbi's could be the difference in a W and a L.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

You miss the point of averages. If he loses as many or more by not coming through at a reasonable rate, he's a net negative.

Can some of those few successes make the difference in meaningful games is my question. If he hits .230 but wins or helps win some critical games, it might be worth the trade. We either had to keep Wisler/Sims on the roster or lose them to waivers next year and get nothing for them. In a weird way that makes this a 1-1 trade. Duvall can’t be worse than Tucker, certainly not in the field and I doubt as a hitter.

• Options

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

Can some of those few successes make the difference in meaningful games is my question. If he hits .230 but wins or helps win some critical games, it might be worth the trade. We either had to keep Wisler/Sims on the roster or lose them to waivers next year and get nothing for them. In a weird way that makes this a 1-1 trade. Duvall can’t be worse than Tucker, certainly not in the field and I doubt as a hitter.

SO much AMEN @donm

• Options
    dawgdude65dawgdude65 Posts: 162 ✭✭✭ Junior

Heard on the talk show this morning that non of these guys are going to make a difference this season and that the Braves are out of options with them and thought that they .ight as get something for them. But a barely .200 hitter, not to sure we made a great deal, but we do need some right side of the plate help.

• Options

@dawgdude65 said:
    Heard on the talk show this morning that non of these guys are going to make a difference this season and that the Braves are out of options with them and thought that they .ight as get something for them. But a barely .200 hitter, not to sure we made a great deal, but we do need some right side of the plate help.

He’s better than a .205 hitter...lifetime .239. Who knows. Might catch lightning in a bottle with him. Who knows?

• Options
    Carlson231Carlson231 Posts: 19 ✭ Freshman

This was a good move. Duvall is a previous all star and 2x gold glove winner. He’s hit over 250 homeruns and high RBIs. He will be exactly what we need, a power hitting player off the bench and a spot starter against LHP. Sims and Wisler were not needed in Atlanta anymore and Duvall is a better, more proven bat off the bench.

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Dawg1419 said:

@orlando said:
    Typical Braves bs

They are related to the falcons ya know

Oh I know, been a homer for a long time and still don’t understand their thought process.