Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

The Braves traded 3 good prospects for a .205 hitter...

Comments

• MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I mean I'd like to keep Suzuki as that guy to give our everyday guy a day off every 8-10 days because he is very good handling a young staff. And your right, that's 1 spot we haven't drafted well lately. A trade would be the only way imo. Maybe Wieters if not Realmoto?

It's going to take a king's ransom for Realmoto. The fish already said that. BTW Wright from Vandy is coming up to AAA today. How many 1st round arms are in our system? My goodness

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

@MacDawg15 said:
    I mean I'd like to keep Suzuki as that guy to give our everyday guy a day off every 8-10 days because he is very good handling a young staff. And your right, that's 1 spot we haven't drafted well lately. A trade would be the only way imo. Maybe Wieters if not Realmoto?

Has Weiters ever thrown out a runner? (Sarcasm) he does have pop and wouldn’t be as cost prohibitive as Realmuto. I don’t know how much potential our top C prospect has as far as power.

@donm said:

@MacDawg15 said:

Has Weiters ever thrown out a runner? (Sarcasm) he does have pop and wouldn’t be as cost prohibitive as Realmuto. I don’t know how much potential our top C prospect has as far as power.

Not good lol. I think Wieters is beginning to decline a little as usually all players do (except Chipper). But these gm's know about this kid in this organization, and I think it's just about finding that guy. Big takeaway from the trade deadline whether anybody agrees with the trades or pickups, we kept every single one of our top 20 prospects..

How great would it be to have a Yadier Molina lol? I was a catcher and the day I signed I threw a 1.86. I've seen Molina in person and the guy is unreal! Major league avg is a 2.00. I'd say his is a 1.90 or better, meaning he's throwing 1.7's a good portion of the time! Never saw a better defensive guy in person. Absolute cannon and the balls out as soon as it hits the mitt.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There’s only a handful of catchers that get more than 20 HRs a year. Suzuki was 7th in home runs last year, and is tied for 15th this year (out of catchers). Not terrible pop comparing him to catchers around the league.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MacDawg15 said:
    How great would it be to have a Yadier Molina lol? I was a catcher and the day I signed I threw a 1.86. I've seen Molina in person and the guy is unreal! Major league avg is a 2.00. I'd say his is a 1.90 or better, meaning he's throwing 1.7's a good portion of the time! Never saw a better defensive guy in person. Absolute cannon and the balls out as soon as it hits the mitt.

Molina was the most valuable non-pitcher in MLB for a number of years in my opinion. Getting a great bat from the best defensive catcher in the game, talk about a bonus.

@Teddy said:
    There’s only a handful of catchers that get more than 20 HRs a year. Suzuki was 7th in home runs last year, and is tied for 15th this year (out of catchers). Not terrible pop comparing him to catchers around the league.

Very true. But if we can find a guy that can ONLY drop 20 hit even .275 and handle a young staff, I'd give up at LEAST one of those big name arms in AAA.

Physically it is just so demanding catching 140-150 games a year AND throwing up great offensive numbers because the dings and fatigue set in. That's what made people like Bench so valuable. Look how Posey's numbers have dropped from a few years ago.

@Teddy said:

especially since he's not quite the every day catcher, especially last year. He too is getting a bit long in the tooth. Just thinking of the future.

• georgiaboygeorgiaboy Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@georgiaboy said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:
    He worked in relief with us and got lit like a candle in the dark, but more specifically didn't have command of his pitches. Who cares if you throw a devastating slider and filthy changeup if you can't spot it up?

Have you watched much baseball, specifically MLB ?

It's not uncommon for players with arm talent to gain control relatively late. It's unheard of for hitters who can't hit to start hitting at 29 years old or older.
    This is about Liberty finding the absolute cheapest option on the market.

Dude I was a catcher, played 3 yrs of minor league ball and have ran a baseball academy for hs and college players for a decade but I have no idea how MLB works. I was unaware some people like Sherzer pick it up a lil later than a stud like Kershaw.. Are you serious??

Then why do you assume a young pitcher with arm talent won't have future value ?

I never said he won't have future talent. But do you honestly expect them to let Soroka, Allard, Newcombe, Wright, Gohara or Fried go instead of Sims?? I'm saying with those arms Sims has no home in Atlanta as a starter. And in relief appearances definitely didn't look good. THAT is what I'm saying. I'm weighing the future options and what potential trade moves could be made by throwing in ONE of those guys mentioned for a legit area of need like behind the plate or someone to sure up the bullpen..

Of course not, but get some value for 3 pretty good prospects. This was a s**t deal.

Brother baseball is the 1 game that's absolutely unpredictable. This may not help us a bit. All i'm saying is those 3 were NOT in the plans for the organization going forward. It may turn out to be as bad as the Kimbrel trade. Very possible. But that's why they play the game. I'm not saying getting this cat was the best move. I'm saying with all the arm talent in the farm system I personally agree to take the chance on this set of 3 players because I see no room for them in the Atl. That's all. We all have opinions and $#@holes and some stink worse than others. Just giving my opinion from spending my life involved in the game.

My point is this trade was made because it's CHEAP.
    That approach led to getting what appears to be next to nothing in return for 3 mid-level prospects, but prospects with pretty high ceilings.

ok man

You’re wasting your time! He’ll argue with you all night. You’ll never get the last word, even if he knows you’re right.

Actually I work nights, I never use my phone or a computer for personal thinks while at work.
    Besides, you're just upset that you can't go toe to toe with me.

Whatever you say champ.

Bump, Duvall is 2 for 17 since joining the Bravos. No homeruns.

@Teddy said:
    Bump, Duvall is 2 for 17 since joining the Bravos. No homeruns.

he has been kind of underwhelming, so far, hasn't he?

• KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We gave up essentially nothing for a right handed platoon bat, the sky isn't falling man.

• KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Also, while yeah his advanced metrics are bad (WRC+ is what I'm referring to) his wOBA is significantly lower than his xWOBA. This implies he has had some bad luck with balls in play this season, and is due for some positive regression.

Seems like you're just getting mad to be mad lol.

• LD10LD10 Posts: 434 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

He is no worst then Fhlarety. Both are awful bench players.

@LD10 said:
    He is no worst then Fhlarety. Both are awful bench players.

I’ll take Flaherty, who’s batting 30 pts higher.

@Kirbstomper said:
    Also, while yeah his advanced metrics are bad (WRC+ is what I'm referring to) his wOBA is significantly lower than his xWOBA. This implies he has had some bad luck with balls in play this season, and is due for some positive regression.

Seems like you're just getting mad to be mad lol.

I merely posted his stats. How is that being mad?

• LD10LD10 Posts: 434 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

How many homeruns does Fhlarety have. Both are bad.

@LD10 said:
    How many homeruns does Fhlarety have. Both are bad.

I like how people bring up Flaherty, as if we have to choose one. And when this thread is about the trade, not about someone already on the team... I’m just wondering if there was anyone else out there to trade for, that might bat higher than .200, and not strikeout 3 out of every 10 times.