Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

The Braves traded 3 good prospects for a .205 hitter...

Comments

• Options
    MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@brentwilson said:
    he has 15 homers this season

That is fools; bait .a few HRs spread over 90 games with almost no other production is almost meaningless.
    The advanced metrics are awful.

Yea he's below the Mendoza line. But let me ask this; are any of the 3 leaving gonna help us down the stretch? I was in pro ball for 3 years and its jmo, but not 1 of the 3 leaving would contribute on a consistent basis either this year or in the future.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MacDawg15 said:

@WCDawg said:

@brentwilson said:

That is fools; bait .a few HRs spread over 90 games with almost no other production is almost meaningless.

Yea he's below the Mendoza line. But let me ask this; are any of the 3 leaving gonna help us down the stretch? I was in pro ball for 3 years and its jmo, but not 1 of the 3 leaving would contribute on a consistent basis either this year or in the future.

''DOWN THE STRETCH'' do you sell the future for a .205 hitter because the players you give up aren't ready now ?
    This looks like a terrible trade. It reeks of looking for the cheapest option possible.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@WCDawg said:

@brentwilson said:

''DOWN THE STRETCH'' do you sell the future for a .205 hitter because the players you give up aren't ready now ?
    This looks like a terrible trade. It reeks of looking for the cheapest option possible.

I guess the Braves thought the three would never be "ready". In the meantime, if Duvall can hit a HR or two at an opportune time, it might help win a game or two...in a close pennant race, that might be very good. I admit, he's not a threat to be a full-time starter and 30 HR kind of guy...one trick pony....a certain set of skills....but potentially helpful.

• Options

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@WCDawg said:

@brentwilson said:

I guess the Braves thought the three would never be "ready". In the meantime, if Duvall can hit a HR or two at an opportune time, it might help win a game or two...in a close pennant race, that might be very good. I admit, he's not a threat to be a full-time starter and 30 HR kind of guy...one trick pony....a certain set of skills....but potentially helpful.

A ''hr or 2'' won't be a net gain if he fails on most at bats.

• Options
    PeachCoDawgPeachCoDawg Posts: 489 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

At least I'll always have '91,'92, and 95. Those were magical years. The whole streak was good baseball, but embarrassing playoff losses, especially '96. Smoltz was the man. That Game 7 duel w/ Jack Morris is one of the best games I've ever seen. What a beautiful delivery he had.

Lame trade. All or nothing swinger. Good glove. But
    .205? Come on Braves! If you're gonna make a move, then make a MOVE. We're not going anywhere this year anyway. Just a few games over .500 now. They're losing it

• Options
    DawginSCDawginSC Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

@WCDawg said:
    Adam Duvall is 29, he's a career .239 hitter who is hitting .205 with a .289 OBP this season.
    What a lame arse move.

He was brought in as a sub player (corner outfield spots & 1st Base) along with a right handed bat off the bench.

As mentioned above, the guys trades were no longer in the Braves front offices long term plans. Didn’t give up the farm for rental (which I love) but got better on the bench, which along with relief were glaring holes.

.205 BA and .289 OBP is not getting better in any way.

Well... .224 and .333 vs lefties if that's how he's going to be used.

• Options

Future?? Was Walker ever gonna be a starter? Sims got lit like a Christmas tree... In baseball there are ALWAYS trades like this. Will this guy pan out etc. But do you think you or any of us know more about each and every prospect in the system?? I think with Folty, Newcombe, Fried, Allard, Soroka, Gohara etc; we can afford to giveup a POSSIBLE average MLB pitcher in Sims for the POSSIBILITY of not having to have 2 catchers that have never hit for power in the 5 hole, where it's your job to hit with pop and drive in runs. Who gives a %^$# if he goes 1 for 4 with 3 k's if he dropped a 3 run bomb dude.. Baseball trades can be make or break on both ends. BUT given the situation we're in with all the young arm talent that'll be in the show soon ( and thrive), IMO we need ANYBODY that has pop in this lineup.. It's not like this guy is gonna be an everyday player for years to come. AND he's a cheap get. I think the front office goes through pros and cons alot more than us. I'm sorry man, but if you think Sims was the future; I assure you he's not. The names mentioned above ARE our future arms.. IF Sims turns out to even be a 12 game winner in the next 3-4 years call me out on it..

• Options

@DawginSC said:

@WCDawg said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

@WCDawg said:
    Adam Duvall is 29, he's a career .239 hitter who is hitting .205 with a .289 OBP this season.
    What a lame arse move.

He was brought in as a sub player (corner outfield spots & 1st Base) along with a right handed bat off the bench.

As mentioned above, the guys trades were no longer in the Braves front offices long term plans. Didn’t give up the farm for rental (which I love) but got better on the bench, which along with relief were glaring holes.

Well... .224 and .333 vs lefties if that's how he's going to be used.

.224, that is still pathetic.

• Options

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@WCDawg said:

@brentwilson said:

EXACTLY!!

• Options

@MacDawg15 said:
    Future?? Was Walker ever gonna be a starter? Sims got lit like a Christmas tree... In baseball there are ALWAYS trades like this. Will this guy pan out etc. But do you think you or any of us know more about each and every prospect in the system?? I think with Folty, Newcombe, Fried, Allard, Soroka, Gohara etc; we can afford to giveup a POSSIBLE average MLB pitcher in Sims for the POSSIBILITY of not having to have 2 catchers that have never hit for power in the 5 hole, where it's your job to hit with pop and drive in runs. Who gives a %^$# if he goes 1 for 4 with 3 k's if he dropped a 3 run bomb dude.. Baseball trades can be make or break on both ends. BUT given the situation we're in with all the young arm talent that'll be in the show soon ( and thrive), IMO we need ANYBODY that has pop in this lineup.. It's not like this guy is gonna be an everyday player for years to come. AND he's a cheap get. I think the front office goes through pros and cons alot more than us. I'm sorry man, but if you think Sims was the future; I assure you he's not. The names mentioned above ARE our future arms.. IF Sims turns out to even be a 12 game winner in the next 3-4 years call me out on it..

Show me where we've ever traded for a .205 hitter in the past.

• Options

@PeachCoDawg said:
    At least I'll always have '91,'92, and 95. Those were magical years. The whole streak was good baseball, but embarrassing playoff losses, especially '96. Smoltz was the man. That Game 7 duel w/ Jack Morris is one of the best games I've ever seen. What a beautiful delivery he had.

.205? Come on Braves! If you're gonna make a move, then make a MOVE. We're not going anywhere this year anyway. Just a few games over .500 now. They're losing it

Guys all the studs have already been traded.. There are no Machado's left out there to trade for..

• Options

@MacDawg15 said:

If Sims is converted to a middle reliever and has fairly good success this is a bad trade.

• Options
    CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

@WCDawg said:
    What a lame arse move.

Obviously the Braves brass forgot to give you a call for approval. My guess is they know what they are doing.

• Options

He worked in relief with us and got lit like a candle in the dark, but more specifically didn't have command of his pitches. Who cares if you throw a devastating slider and filthy changeup if you can't spot it up?

• Options
    edited July 2018

@MacDawg15 said:

@PeachCoDawg said:

Guys all the studs have already been traded.. There are no Machado's left out there to trade for..

No, I gotcha @MacDawg15. I didn't want Machado anyway. No way we would've worked a deal out. I was just saying in general....Don't puzzyfoot around! I wouldn't trade the bat boy for this guy. I can't watch baseball anymore anyway. Too slow.
    Actually I'll just sit n see. Maybe we get some production out of him. I just hate trading guys for next to nothing

• Options

@PeachCoDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@PeachCoDawg said:

No, I gotcha @MacDawg15. I didn't want Machado anyway. No way we would've worked a deal out. I was just saying in general....Don't puzzyfoot around! I wouldn't trade the bat boy for this guy. I can't watch baseball anymore anyway. Too slow

Well it can go like this. He does absolutely nothing for us, but we still didn't lose anybody that was in our future plans. OR the dude could come up with some big hits to help win a few games here and there. And yes .205 is terrible but have you ever hit off of big league pitching? My 1st career pro ball hit was off of Pedro Bourbon and even at the last days of his career looked pretty **** salty from an on deck circle. These guys are facing the best arms on earth.. I assure you as slow as it may look on tv, it **** sure ain't like that when your in the box and hear the ball coming in.....

• Options

@PeachCoDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@PeachCoDawg said:

No, I gotcha @MacDawg15. I didn't want Machado anyway. No way we would've worked a deal out. I was just saying in general....Don't puzzyfoot around! I wouldn't trade the bat boy for this guy. I can't watch baseball anymore anyway. Too slow.
    Actually I'll just sit n see. Maybe we get some production out of him. I just hate trading guys for next to nothing

Lol for nothing? WTH were the other 3 doing to help us win ballgames?

• Options

No, I gotcha @MacDawg15. I didn't want Machado anyway. No way we would've worked a deal out. I was just saying in general....Don't puzzyfoot around! I wouldn't trade the bat boy for this guy. I can't watch baseball anymore anyway. Too slow

@MacDawg15 said
    Well it can go like this. He does absolutely nothing for us, but we still didn't lose anybody that was in our future plans. OR the dude could come up with some big hits to help win a few games here and there. And yes .205 is terrible but have you ever hit off of big league pitching? My 1st career pro ball hit was off of Pedro Bourbon and even at the last days of his career looked pretty **** salty from an on deck circle. These guys are facing the best arms on earth.. I assure you as slow as it may look on tv, it **** sure ain't like that when your in the box and hear the ball coming in.....

I agree somewhat. I'll sit back and see. It's really just a knee jerk reaction to the Braves staying in mediocrity. You played pro ball? I played HS and 2 years at GA Southwestern as a walk on. Played against many future pros, especially from Jones Co. Only pro I hit against was Kevin Brown. That was the shhhhhh......

• Options

@MacDawg15 said:

@PeachCoDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@PeachCoDawg said:

Lol for nothing? WTH were the other 3 doing to help us win ballgames?

Dude I'm just disagreeing. You wanna argue or what? I went back and changed my post while you were still writing. I thought you'd be someone cool to talk baseball with.....???

• Options

@PeachCoDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said

I agree somewhat. I'll sit back and see. It's really just a knee jerk reaction to the Braves staying in mediocrity. You played pro ball? I played HS and 2 years at GA Southwestern as a walk on. Played against many future pros, especially from Jones Co. Only pro I hit against was Kevin Brown. That was the shhhhhh......

Yea Bourbon, Steve Bourgouis (used to be with the Rockies), and some lesser known guys that may have just had a short splash in the show. Bourbon hit me in the middle of the back after I singled off him up the middle in my 1st AB against him lol.