Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

The Braves traded 3 good prospects for a .205 hitter...

Comments

• Options
    georgiaboygeorgiaboy Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MacDawg15 said:

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:
    He worked in relief with us and got lit like a candle in the dark, but more specifically didn't have command of his pitches. Who cares if you throw a devastating slider and filthy changeup if you can't spot it up?

Have you watched much baseball, specifically MLB ?

It's not uncommon for players with arm talent to gain control relatively late. It's unheard of for hitters who can't hit to start hitting at 29 years old or older.
    This is about Liberty finding the absolute cheapest option on the market.

Dude I was a catcher, played 3 yrs of minor league ball and have ran a baseball academy for hs and college players for a decade but I have no idea how MLB works. I was unaware some people like Sherzer pick it up a lil later than a stud like Kershaw.. Are you serious??

Then why do you assume a young pitcher with arm talent won't have future value ?

I never said he won't have future talent. But do you honestly expect them to let Soroka, Allard, Newcombe, Wright, Gohara or Fried go instead of Sims?? I'm saying with those arms Sims has no home in Atlanta as a starter. And in relief appearances definitely didn't look good. THAT is what I'm saying. I'm weighing the future options and what potential trade moves could be made by throwing in ONE of those guys mentioned for a legit area of need like behind the plate or someone to sure up the bullpen..

Of course not, but get some value for 3 pretty good prospects. This was a s**t deal.

Brother baseball is the 1 game that's absolutely unpredictable. This may not help us a bit. All i'm saying is those 3 were NOT in the plans for the organization going forward. It may turn out to be as bad as the Kimbrel trade. Very possible. But that's why they play the game. I'm not saying getting this cat was the best move. I'm saying with all the arm talent in the farm system I personally agree to take the chance on this set of 3 players because I see no room for them in the Atl. That's all. We all have opinions and $#@holes and some stink worse than others. Just giving my opinion from spending my life involved in the game.

My point is this trade was made because it's CHEAP.
    That approach led to getting what appears to be next to nothing in return for 3 mid-level prospects, but prospects with pretty high ceilings.

ok man

You’re wasting your time! He’ll argue with you all night. You’ll never get the last word, even if he knows you’re right.

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Duvall trade is a better move than the Hawks missing on a number #5 pick.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

In other Braves news, Camargo has been killing it lately.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:
    In other Braves news, Camargo has been killing it lately.

He was great last year too. I think he can be the regular 3B guy. He’s got lots of tools...just not overwhelming power. I do think he can be a regular 15-20 HR guy.

• Options

Just read that Duvall is tied for 5th most HR’s in the NL since 2016. I didn’t know that. 79 HRs in 2 1/2 seasons. I feel better about the trade now.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:
    Just read that Duvall is tied for 5th most HR’s in the NL since 2016. I didn’t know that. 79 HRs in 2 1/2 seasons. I feel better about the trade now.

With the caveat being he played in one of the most homerun friendly parks.

• Options
    MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Riley will probably begin the year in '19 spring training with em. Very legit 3rd baseman. I just wish we had an everyday catcher. How bout Teheran, Culberson and Vizcaino for Realmuto lol?

• Options

@MacDawg15 said:
    Riley will probably begin the year in '19 spring training with em. Very legit 3rd baseman. I just wish we had an everyday catcher. How bout Teheran, Culberson and Vizcaino for Realmuto lol?

I think Realmuto just got traded. To Phil’s?

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:
    As precious as every win is would everyone agree if this guy knocks a few key runs in that lead to a win instead of loss he was worth it (given we make the playoffs of course??)

AVERAGES matter. If you go to Vegas and lose more than you win, counting the wins as wins is fools' gold.
    If he comes up in 20 important situations and fails in 15 or 16 of them, he'll be a net minus.

I'm thinking that in a close pennant race, with teams within a game or two of each other, 3-4 games won with his help might make this trade more tolerable.

You miss the point of averages. If he loses as many or more by not coming through at a reasonable rate, he's a net negative.

Can some of those few successes make the difference in meaningful games is my question. If he hits .230 but wins or helps win some critical games, it might be worth the trade. We either had to keep Wisler/Sims on the roster or lose them to waivers next year and get nothing for them. In a weird way that makes this a 1-1 trade. Duvall can’t be worse than Tucker, certainly not in the field and I doubt as a hitter.

Geez.
    I don't know any other way to say it.
    Are you saying he would hit better in critical spots than another player who hits for higher average and gets on base at a higher percentage ?
    The stat WAR ( Wins Above Replacement) is meant to address this. Let's assume whoever we sent to bat in those situations would come through some of the time, would he come through more than them, or less perhaps, given his very low BA and OBP ?
    If he came through at a lower percentage, even if he had some success, he'd be a net negative.

• Options

@greshamdisco said:
    The Duvall trade is a better move than the Hawks missing on a number #5 pick.

You don't know that Young was a bad pick.

• Options

@georgiaboy said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:
    He worked in relief with us and got lit like a candle in the dark, but more specifically didn't have command of his pitches. Who cares if you throw a devastating slider and filthy changeup if you can't spot it up?

Have you watched much baseball, specifically MLB ?

It's not uncommon for players with arm talent to gain control relatively late. It's unheard of for hitters who can't hit to start hitting at 29 years old or older.
    This is about Liberty finding the absolute cheapest option on the market.

Dude I was a catcher, played 3 yrs of minor league ball and have ran a baseball academy for hs and college players for a decade but I have no idea how MLB works. I was unaware some people like Sherzer pick it up a lil later than a stud like Kershaw.. Are you serious??

Then why do you assume a young pitcher with arm talent won't have future value ?

I never said he won't have future talent. But do you honestly expect them to let Soroka, Allard, Newcombe, Wright, Gohara or Fried go instead of Sims?? I'm saying with those arms Sims has no home in Atlanta as a starter. And in relief appearances definitely didn't look good. THAT is what I'm saying. I'm weighing the future options and what potential trade moves could be made by throwing in ONE of those guys mentioned for a legit area of need like behind the plate or someone to sure up the bullpen..

Of course not, but get some value for 3 pretty good prospects. This was a s**t deal.

Brother baseball is the 1 game that's absolutely unpredictable. This may not help us a bit. All i'm saying is those 3 were NOT in the plans for the organization going forward. It may turn out to be as bad as the Kimbrel trade. Very possible. But that's why they play the game. I'm not saying getting this cat was the best move. I'm saying with all the arm talent in the farm system I personally agree to take the chance on this set of 3 players because I see no room for them in the Atl. That's all. We all have opinions and $#@holes and some stink worse than others. Just giving my opinion from spending my life involved in the game.

My point is this trade was made because it's CHEAP.
    That approach led to getting what appears to be next to nothing in return for 3 mid-level prospects, but prospects with pretty high ceilings.

ok man

You’re wasting your time! He’ll argue with you all night. You’ll never get the last word, even if he knows you’re right.

Actually I work nights, I never use my phone or a computer for personal thinks while at work.
    Besides, you're just upset that you can't go toe to toe with me.

• Options

@donm said:

@MacDawg15 said:

My bad. Realmuto's deal wasn't with the Phils and it didn't go through anyway. He's still with the Fish. I'd make the trade that McDawg 15 offered.

• Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:

@donm said:

With the caveat being he played in one of the most homerun friendly parks.

His home/splits actually don't reflect that. I believe I read he's still top 6-7 in HR hit on the road.

• Options

@donm said:

@MacDawg15 said:

Being that it looks like it's gonna be them we have to beat out instead oh the Nats, that would have ****!~~~~

• Options

@MacDawg15 said:

@donm said:

@MacDawg15 said:

Being that it looks like it's gonna be them we have to beat out instead oh the Nats, that would have ****!~~~~

cant say s u c k e d?

• Options

I know this isn't gonna be popular and ppl are gonna disagree. And don't get me wrong, for the rest of the '18 season there should be no change. I mean the guy hit a bomb on a 94mph splitter last night. But after this year it's jmo but Camargo would be GREAT tradebait with 1 or 2 other guys for a slam dunk everyday 3rd baseman. WE NEED SOMEONE IN THE 4 OR 5 HOLE WITH POP AND ALSO HITS FOR AVG. Riley still may be a year away, but there are Justin Turner's and Donaldson's out there. When was the last time a playoff team had a cleanup hitter with 12 homers 3/4 of the way through the year? But Markakis would be a great 5 or 6 hole guy. Just from my experiences in baseball, Johan is a stud defensively but will never hit .300, or 30 hr's. We just picked up the 5th pick in the '12 draft from the O's before the deadline. We have arms in abundance. But no way we can win a 7 game series against a dodger like team with bench players better than some of our starters.

• Options

@MacDawg15 said:
    I know this isn't gonna be popular and ppl are gonna disagree. And don't get me wrong, for the rest of the '18 season there should be no change. I mean the guy hit a bomb on a 94mph splitter last night. But after this year it's jmo but Camargo would be GREAT tradebait with 1 or 2 other guys for a slam dunk everyday 3rd baseman. WE NEED SOMEONE IN THE 4 OR 5 HOLE WITH POP AND ALSO HITS FOR AVG. Riley still may be a year away, but there are Justin Turner's and Donaldson's out there. When was the last time a playoff team had a cleanup hitter with 12 homers 3/4 of the way through the year? But Markakis would be a great 5 or 6 hole guy. Just from my experiences in baseball, Johan is a stud defensively but will never hit .300, or 30 hr's. We just picked up the 5th pick in the '12 draft from the O's before the deadline. We have arms in abundance. But no way we can win a 7 game series against a dodger like team with bench players better than some of our starters.

He did hit .300 - actually .299 - last year. Down some but headed that way now. I agree, he’s not a 30 HR guy. He’s also a + defender. I’m pretty sure lots of teams would like to have him. Isnt he the perfect super utility guy? I’d rather get a RF guy with power - Markakis is in his final year of his contract.

• Options

I mean .300 over the course of an entire grueling season. 500 at bats type of .300

• Options

Idk Nick is just what I consider an allaround steady as they come Major Leaguer. He NEVER has had a bad year. I'd be ok moving him to the 6 hole and resigning him IF we get some thump from somewhere. Inciarte was as always a team player and glad we made the trade to move Acuna to center so the newby gets some time in left. JMO but If we could move Acuna there permanently and add with sure enough talent in left, or get a catcher with pop. We'd be a very tough lineup.

• Options
    edited August 2018

@MacDawg15 said:
    Idk Nick is just what I consider an allaround steady as they come Major Leaguer. He NEVER has had a bad year. I'd be ok moving him to the 6 hole and resigning him IF we get some thump from somewhere. Inciarte was as always a team player and glad we made the trade to move Acuna to center so the newby gets some time in left. JMO but If we could move Acuna there permanently and add with sure enough talent in left, or get a catcher with pop. We'd be a very tough lineup.

I like catcher with some pop idea. Our farm doesn’t have many of those I don’t think. A big trade perhaps. Flo-Zuki isn’t getting any younger.