Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

The Braves traded 3 good prospects for a .205 hitter...

Comments

• PeachCoDawgPeachCoDawg Posts: 489 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@MacDawg15 said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@PeachCoDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:
    I know you remember a certain Ga hs boy the Braves took in the 1st round in 01? He used to get a tude bcuz I prob hit over .500 against him in hs. Same region

You mean...****... I know who you're talking about. My brother played against him. Can't remember his name for anything. Seems like it started with a J. White or black guy? I'm thinking it was either Rondale White or Green's cousin or nephew. Just can't remember

initials were MM

N I remember a **** good catcher that we let go that was working bagging groceries or something but won a ring with the Astros.. He **** sure wasn't 24... Baseball isn't like other sports. Chipper used to struggle against a certain guy but McCann had a field day off of him.. It's inexplainable and what makes it intriguing.

That's also why I love the game. So many one on one match ups and variables

• MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:
    He worked in relief with us and got lit like a candle in the dark, but more specifically didn't have command of his pitches. Who cares if you throw a devastating slider and filthy changeup if you can't spot it up?

Have you watched much baseball, specifically MLB ?

It's not uncommon for players with arm talent to gain control relatively late. It's unheard of for hitters who can't hit to start hitting at 29 years old or older.
    This is about Liberty finding the absolute cheapest option on the market.

Dude I was a catcher, played 3 yrs of minor league ball and have ran a baseball academy for hs and college players for a decade but I have no idea how MLB works. I was unaware some people like Sherzer pick it up a lil later than a stud like Kershaw.. Are you serious??

Then why do you assume a young pitcher with arm talent won't have future value ?

I never said he won't have future talent. But do you honestly expect them to let Soroka, Allard, Newcombe, Wright, Gohara or Fried go instead of Sims?? I'm saying with those arms Sims has no home in Atlanta as a starter. And in relief appearances definitely didn't look good. THAT is what I'm saying. I'm weighing the future options and what potential trade moves could be made by throwing in ONE of those guys mentioned for a legit area of need like behind the plate or someone to sure up the bullpen..

__> @WCDawg said:

@PeachCoDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@PeachCoDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:
    I know you remember a certain Ga hs boy the Braves took in the 1st round in 01? He used to get a tude bcuz I prob hit over .500 against him in hs. Same region

You mean...****... I know who you're talking about. My brother played against him. Can't remember his name for anything. Seems like it started with a J. White or black guy? I'm thinking it was either Rondale White or Green's cousin or nephew. Just can't remember

initials were MM

N I remember a **** good catcher that we let go that was working bagging groceries or something but won a ring with the Astros.. He **** sure wasn't 24... Baseball isn't like other sports. Chipper used to struggle against a certain guy but McCann had a field day off of him.. It's inexplainable and what makes it intriguing.

Where did Saltalamachia go? If I ever came close to spelling that right it's all good

The Rangers if my memory serves me correctly. He was a starter for several years.

That's it. Good memory. And I DIDN'T **** out lol

@PeachCoDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@PeachCoDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

initials were MM

Where did Saltalamachia go? If I ever came close to spelling that right it's all good

I was talking about the Texas panda bear lol

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MacDawg15 said:

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:
    He worked in relief with us and got lit like a candle in the dark, but more specifically didn't have command of his pitches. Who cares if you throw a devastating slider and filthy changeup if you can't spot it up?

It's not uncommon for players with arm talent to gain control relatively late. It's unheard of for hitters who can't hit to start hitting at 29 years old or older.

Dude I was a catcher, played 3 yrs of minor league ball and have ran a baseball academy for hs and college players for a decade but I have no idea how MLB works. I was unaware some people like Sherzer pick it up a lil later than a stud like Kershaw.. Are you serious??

Then why do you assume a young pitcher with arm talent won't have future value ?

I never said he won't have future talent. But do you honestly expect them to let Soroka, Allard, Newcombe, Wright, Gohara or Fried go instead of Sims?? I'm saying with those arms Sims has no home in Atlanta as a starter. And in relief appearances definitely didn't look good. THAT is what I'm saying. I'm weighing the future options and what potential trade moves could be made by throwing in ONE of those guys mentioned for a legit area of need like behind the plate or someone to sure up the bullpen..

Of course not, but get some value for 3 pretty good prospects. This was a s**t deal.

@MacDawg15 said:

@PeachCoDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@PeachCoDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

initials were MM

LMMFAO. I was wracking my brain

@PeachCoDawg said:
    __> @WCDawg said:

@PeachCoDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@PeachCoDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

initials were MM

The Rangers if my memory serves me correctly. He was a starter for several years.

Ok, let's say wussed out then.... B)

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MacDawg15 said:

@PeachCoDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@PeachCoDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

initials were MM

Oso Blanco - Evan Gattis

@WCDawg said:

@PeachCoDawg said:
    __> @WCDawg said:

@PeachCoDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@PeachCoDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

initials were MM

Ok, let's say wussed out then.... B)

OK, I'll concede a wussed out position. The dude started making sense lol. But I still say bad trade, bottom line

@CZCashvilleDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@PeachCoDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@PeachCoDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

initials were MM

Oso Blanco - Evan Gattis

There it is

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

Of course not, but get some value for 3 pretty good prospects. This was a s**t deal.

Brother baseball is the 1 game that's absolutely unpredictable. This may not help us a bit. All i'm saying is those 3 were NOT in the plans for the organization going forward. It may turn out to be as bad as the Kimbrel trade. Very possible. But that's why they play the game. I'm not saying getting this cat was the best move. I'm saying with all the arm talent in the farm system I personally agree to take the chance on this set of 3 players because I see no room for them in the Atl. That's all. We all have opinions and $#@holes and some stink worse than others. Just giving my opinion from spending my life involved in the game.

@MacDawg15 said:

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

Brother baseball is the 1 game that's absolutely unpredictable. This may not help us a bit. All i'm saying is those 3 were NOT in the plans for the organization going forward. It may turn out to be as bad as the Kimbrel trade. Very possible. But that's why they play the game. I'm not saying getting this cat was the best move. I'm saying with all the arm talent in the farm system I personally agree to take the chance on this set of 3 players because I see no room for them in the Atl. That's all. We all have opinions and $#@holes and some stink worse than others. Just giving my opinion from spending my life involved in the game.

My point is this trade was made because it's CHEAP.
    That approach led to getting what appears to be next to nothing in return for 3 mid-level prospects, but prospects with pretty high ceilings.

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

That approach led to getting what appears to be next to nothing in return for 3 mid-level prospects, but prospects with pretty high ceilings.

ok man

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

I second this opinion but ****...anything can happen in baseball

• BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's not about trading for a .205 hitter who will be part of the team for years to come. This guy is an average power hitter and a legit defender. He's in the last year of his contract and the Bravos rolled the dice hoping he has something to prove. If Ender was hitting .290 this would be moot, but at .207 vs lhp, we need help! I'm in.

The Braves are the ultimate "what if". If Wohlers doesn't give up that HR to Leyritz..... Who the hell knows

As precious as every win is would everyone agree if this guy knocks a few key runs in that lead to a win instead of loss he was worth it (given we make the playoffs of course??)

@MacDawg15 said:
    As precious as every win is would everyone agree if this guy knocks a few key runs in that lead to a win instead of loss he was worth it (given we make the playoffs of course??)

**** right

@BEACHDAWG said:
    It's not about trading for a .205 hitter who will be part of the team for years to come. This guy is an average power hitter and a legit defender. He's in the last year of his contract and the Bravos rolled the dice hoping he has something to prove. If Ender was hitting .290 this would be moot, but at .207 vs lhp, we need help! I'm in.

It's a low grade move at best.
    It illustrates what this team's ownership is about, they are a corporation with no real interest in winning. Well, winning to them is making money.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BEACHDAWG said:

I thought I read he had a few years of contractual control left.