Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Will anybody else be glad when Tiger retires ?...

Comments

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

The greatest golfer of all time...hard to say.......One has to look at Jack......Of course he had a 30+ year career with no major injuries.....Then you have to take a serious look at Hagen, Hogan, Snead, Palmer and a few others...then we look at Tiger.....I just have to say that without the back troubles he beats Jack's record easily...All of that said one has to wonder about Bobby Jones...here was a guy who was a part time golfer that retired at 30. A guy who had serious health problems...One wonders what Jones could have done had he played 30+ years with no health problems.........The greatesT of all time? No one person....In my opinon the top three are Jack, Tiger and Jones

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BoulderDawg said:
    The greatest golfer of all time...hard to say.......One has to look at Jack......Of course he had a 30+ year career with no major injuries.....Then you have to take a serious look at Hagen, Hogan, Snead, Palmer and a few others...then we look at Tiger.....I just have to say that without the back troubles he beats Jack's record easily...All of that said one has to wonder about Bobby Jones...here was a guy who was a part time golfer that retired at 30. A guy who had serious health problems...One wonders what Jones could have done had he played 30+ years with no health problems.........The greatesT of all time? No one person....In my opinon the top three are Jack, Tiger and Jones

I think Tiger is the best, with Jack in a close second. Tiger plays(ed) in much larger tournament fields, with more elite talent playing against him and still dominated for a decade. So, Tiger playing against huge fields with less talent drop off, makes it tougher to win than in Jack’s era. Just my opinion of course.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,891 mod

Also let's not forget how courses had to change their length to adjust to Tiger. Augusta made massive changes to tiger-proof the course

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:

@BoulderDawg said:

I think Tiger is the best, with Jack in a close second. Tiger plays(ed) in much larger tournament fields, with more elite talent playing against him and still dominated for a decade. So, Tiger playing against huge fields with less talent drop off, makes it tougher to win than in Jack’s era. Just my opinion of course.

Jack was the GOAT, golf is measured almost exclusively through majors, and he has the most.
    Tiger was the better scorer week in week out, that is undeniable, Jack was never the low scorer in any year while Tiger dominated that area.
    Really though Jack made the choice in the late 1960s to focus on majors, he used the rest of the schedule like football teams use the preseason, he worked on his game, it was all in preparation for those 4 tournaments.

• Options
    edited August 2018

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@BoulderDawg said:

Jack was the GOAT, golf is measured almost exclusively through majors, and he has the most.
    Tiger was the better scorer week in week out, that is undeniable, Jack was never the low scorer in any year while Tiger dominated that area.
    Really though Jack made the choice in the late 1960s to focus on majors, he used the rest of the schedule like football teams use the preseason, he worked on his game, it was all in preparation for those 4 tournaments.

but I thought you said Arnold was the best
    EDIT: fact checked myself. You said Arnold was the most marketable (still debatable)

• Options

@Teddy said:

@BoulderDawg said:

Also, I've broken down The top players Jack had to beat to the deep but mediocre fields Tiger faced.
    The fact is Tiger's era was very weak at the top. Most of the players who finished 2nd to him in majors will be forgotten, most already have been. Jack faced Palmer, Player, Trevino, Watson and several other golfers who rate higher than any Tiger had to contend with other than Phil, and Phil didn't learn how to win till after Tiger went into decline.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@BoulderDawg said:

Also, I've broken down The top players Jack had to beat to the deep but mediocre fields Tiger faced.
    The fact is Tiger's era was very weak at the top. Most of the players who finished 2nd to him in majors will be forgotten, most already have been. Jack faced Palmer, Player, Trevino, Watson and several other golfers who rate higher than any Tiger had to contend with other than Phil, and Phil didn't learn how to win till after Tiger went into decline.

Phil won the Masters in 2004. Tiger was still firmly in his prime at the time

• Options

@WCDawg said:

It’s not solely defined by majors, or you wouldn’t see these conversations pop up. I gave a caveat as to why Jack has more, as tiger played against larger and deeper fields. And tiger’s career isn’t over yet, he still has a chance to get more.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

You’re basically naming his top 5 or so competitors. Why? Because after that the talent significantly drops. Tiger is going against 120-156 of the top players from around the globe. Something that wasn’t happening in the 60s-70s.

Also, I guess Els, Singh, Goosen, Furyk, Harrington, etc. don’t count as good players. Know why all those legends have all those majors? Huge talent drop off after the top handful of guys. Now there’s less disparity in talent, and you’ll see a good golfer have a great tournament and never win another major (mainly due to much larger fields making the probability much tougher to repeat, making Tiger’s achievements look even crazier).

• Options

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@BoulderDawg said:

Phil won the Masters in 2004. Tiger was still firmly in his prime at the time

True, Phil was winning in Tiger's last 3 years at the top. Wood's had 8 or 9 years without facing a great player in his prime. Jack faced all time greats throughout his long reign of dominance.

• Options

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

You’re basically naming his top 5 or so competitors. Why? Because after that the talent significantly drops. Tiger is going against 120-156 of the top players from around the globe. Something that wasn’t happening in the 60s-70s.

Also, I guess Els, Singh, Goosen, Furyk, Harrington, etc. don’t count as good players. Know why all those legends have all those majors? Huge talent drop off after the top handful of guys. Now there’s less disparity in talent, and you’ll see a good golfer have a great tournament and never win another major (mainly due to much larger fields making the probability much tougher to repeat, making Tiger’s achievements look even crazier).

Come on, none of those players Tiger faced were in Palmer's, Player's, Trevino's or Watson's league.
    In majors the cream rises, a large field of also rans means little to nothing.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

True, Phil was winning in Tiger's last 3 years at the top. Wood's had 8 or 9 years without facing a great player in his prime. Jack faced all time greats throughout his long reign of dominance.

It just appears he had no competition, as he was demolishing scoring records. Copy and pasted below about the deeper and larger fields Tiger played against.

Tiger has played against a deeper, more international field. When Nicklaus was in his prime, golf was dominated by Americans. In the 1975 Masters, for instance, the entire top 10 was from the United States. From 1962-1978, Jack’s prime, just two foreign players (Gary Player and Tony Jacklin) won at the Masters, U.S. Open or PGA Championship.

During his career, Tiger has seen winners come from Fiji, Spain, Canada, Argentina, Australia, Ireland, Northern Ireland, South Korea, England, Germany, New Zealand and South Africa – a United Nations of major champions. It’s a testament to the wider reach of golf that both Nicklaus and Arnold Palmer help usher in. And now, with Tiger making his comeback amidst more international winners than ever, the field is even deeper because of the wider reach that Tiger brought to the game.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

Come on, none of those players Tiger faced were in Palmer's, Player's, Trevino's or Watson's league.

I think they all were in those leagues. Tigers legendary win percentage kept them from being more successful

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

Im not trying to change your mind here, and you won’t change mine... As I started with my first comment on this debate, “just my opinion of course.” No one is right or wrong in this debate.

• Options

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

I think they all were in those leagues. Tigers legendary win percentage kept them from being more successful

If that was true we would have seen a great player or 2 rise to finish 2nd and win more of the majors Tiger didn't win, that never happened because there were no other greats to rise to the top.
    It was a deep but mediocre bunch.

• Options
    VALDOSTADAWGVALDOSTADAWG Posts: 1,468 mod

I'll be glad when this thread retires.

• Options
    CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options

@VALDOSTADAWG said:

Why ? I don't get why posters worry about something when it's their choice to either open it or ignore it.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@VALDOSTADAWG said:

Why ? I don't get why posters worry about something when it's their choice to either open it or ignore it.

I'm really just joking. I just don't like having discussions with new comments left on the home page so I open it up everytime somebody comments to keep it looking clean. Keep doing you @WCDawg

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@VALDOSTADAWG said:

And I'm not much of a golf fan. But it does make good background sound for naps.