Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Will anybody else be glad when Tiger retires ?...

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:
    He's 8 shots off the lead today, yet he's the top story ?
    The guy hasn't won a major since WWII..or there about.
    It's past time to promote the top players today.

@WCDawg said:

PLEASE. avoid WWII references!> @WCDawg said:

@DawginSC said:

@WCDawg said:

Honestly, he's the only player I've ever been interested in golf. I haven't watched much recently obviously. When he's done I'm not sure I'll bother watching at all. Even the secondary guys aren't interesting anymore... I was interested in Vijay, Els, Phil and Sergio.

Everyone who's any good is kind of cookie cutter now. It's like your choices are all Jordan Speith or Jordan Spieth clones/wannabe's. And Speith is boring to begin with.

There are young players just as interesting as most of those guys. Phil being a possible exception, Lefty is an interesting dude with a daring game.
    There were predictions of stagnation in The NBA when MJ retired, but people got over their singular focus and the league has thrived.

Not doubting you statement about thriving....but they are thriving w/o me. I can't really enjoy NBA games. I'll take a good college game anytime. At least they don't travel/carry the ball 83% of the time.

There is nothing new in some people being turned off by pro sports, but it hasn't hurt revenues so far.
    If The Hawks win, I'll watch more NBA games, that is how it always works on a micro level.

• Options
    DamnYankeeDawgDamnYankeeDawg Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:
    Of course Tiger will be featured. The networks would sacrifice a small child in a pool of goat's blood every week to have him consistently pushing the leaderboard. Ask the other players on tour if they secretly wish he would retire. I'd wager a near unanimous no. More viewers equals more money. It is incorrect to say Tiger wasnt directly responsible for a huge growth in golf revenue. Those dollars would have been divided among another sports.

The reason he increased ratings is because he drew an entire racial demographic to the sport. Those followers largely went away when Tiger left, so now the coverage is going to be skewed in an effort to gain back the attention of that 12.5% of the population. Two black dudes who frequent our restaurant for Sunday brunch and NEVER watch golf nor even play wanted to sit at the bar to watch the British that Sunday brunch. One graduated from UGA. I had to tell him he was rooting against a fellow Dawg. Didnt care.

Tiger didnt steal the spotlight from anyone deserving of more attention in his heyday. He was the best (at that time), and is one of the 3 best players ever. He wont catch Jack so Im not ever going to call him the best. He hasnt done much in 10 years.

Since 1996 ( before Tiger) golf purses for the 4 majors have increased about 500%.
    During the same time period grand purses for grand slam tennis tournaments have increased about 500%.
    I'm sure other players would garner at least as much indorsement money if Tiger was to retire, quite possibly more.

Tiger turned pro in August 1996. I’m positive the tour purses began this meteoric 500% increase in anticipation of Tiger coming to the tour. Tiger is singlehandedly responsible for the growth of pga tour money in the past 20 years. He owned the endorsement money too. Phil got some. Everybody else was getting sloppy seconds from Tiger’s table and even tha was a considerable amount.

If you want to know the reason why tour golfers have such reverence for the guy, it’s the exponential increase in purses and endorsements. Without Tiger, that money is considerably less. Period. End of discussion.

Tiger was also responsible for the success of the Nike golf club line (and its eventual demise). No other golfer can claim that. Ask Jack about the success of his Golden Bear line.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Posts: 163 ✭✭✭ Junior

@DamnYankeeDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:
    Of course Tiger will be featured. The networks would sacrifice a small child in a pool of goat's blood every week to have him consistently pushing the leaderboard. Ask the other players on tour if they secretly wish he would retire. I'd wager a near unanimous no. More viewers equals more money. It is incorrect to say Tiger wasnt directly responsible for a huge growth in golf revenue. Those dollars would have been divided among another sports.

The reason he increased ratings is because he drew an entire racial demographic to the sport. Those followers largely went away when Tiger left, so now the coverage is going to be skewed in an effort to gain back the attention of that 12.5% of the population. Two black dudes who frequent our restaurant for Sunday brunch and NEVER watch golf nor even play wanted to sit at the bar to watch the British that Sunday brunch. One graduated from UGA. I had to tell him he was rooting against a fellow Dawg. Didnt care.

Tiger didnt steal the spotlight from anyone deserving of more attention in his heyday. He was the best (at that time), and is one of the 3 best players ever. He wont catch Jack so Im not ever going to call him the best. He hasnt done much in 10 years.

Since 1996 ( before Tiger) golf purses for the 4 majors have increased about 500%.
    During the same time period grand purses for grand slam tennis tournaments have increased about 500%.
    I'm sure other players would garner at least as much indorsement money if Tiger was to retire, quite possibly more.

Tiger turned pro in August 1996. I’m positive the tour purses began this meteoric 500% increase in anticipation of Tiger coming to the tour. Tiger is singlehandedly responsible for the growth of pga tour money in the past 20 years. He owned the endorsement money too. Phil got some. Everybody else was getting sloppy seconds from Tiger’s table and even tha was a considerable amount.

If you want to know the reason why tour golfers have such reverence for the guy, it’s the exponential increase in purses and endorsements. Without Tiger, that money is considerably less. Period. End of discussion.

Tiger was also responsible for the success of the Nike golf club line (and its eventual demise). No other golfer can claim that. Ask Jack about the success of his Golden Bear line.

I initially was going to stay out of this discussion but I have to give my 2 cents. Tiger single handedly changed the game of golf as we know it. He is the Micheal Jordan of golf and everybody benefited from his success. I'm not calling him the G.O.A.T. but he I is the greatest of my generation. My circle of friends all started playing golf on a regular basis and buying all the new latest fads in putters and drivers. We tuned in every tournament he was in because we knew we were going to be treated to some amazing drive, shot, and put. My only disappointment about him now is if he doesn't get back to the old Tiger. For the record, I haven't watch a single round of golf in his absence.

• Options
    DawginSCDawginSC Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@DawginSC said:

@WCDawg said:

Honestly, he's the only player I've ever been interested in golf. I haven't watched much recently obviously. When he's done I'm not sure I'll bother watching at all. Even the secondary guys aren't interesting anymore... I was interested in Vijay, Els, Phil and Sergio.

Everyone who's any good is kind of cookie cutter now. It's like your choices are all Jordan Speith or Jordan Spieth clones/wannabe's. And Speith is boring to begin with.

There are young players just as interesting as most of those guys. Phil being a possible exception, Lefty is an interesting dude with a daring game.
    There were predictions of stagnation in The NBA when MJ retired, but people got over their singular focus and the league has thrived.

Yet I'm not interested in them.

It really doesn't do any good to say "You SHOULD be interested" when people obviously are not. Golf takes big personalities to be interesting. It takes Greg Norman's talent combined with his penchant for self destruction. It takes Arnie's charisma. It takes Tiger's attitude and dominance. It take's Lefty's risk taking and charm.

Now you've got... white bread (not in a racial sense... though that kind of fits too).

• Options
    DawginSCDawginSC Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

But I am interested today.

Why?

Tiger's tied for second 4 holes into round 4.

• Options
    dawghousedawghouse Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@TDawg said:

I initially was going to stay out of this discussion but I have to give my 2 cents. Tiger single handedly changed the game of golf as we know it. He is the Micheal Jordan of golf and everybody benefited from his success. I'm not calling him the G.O.A.T. but he I is the greatest of my generation. My circle of friends all started playing golf on a regular basis and buying all the new latest fads in putters and drivers. We tuned in every tournament he was in because we knew we were going to be treated to some amazing drive, shot, and put. My only disappointment about him now is if he doesn't get back to the old Tiger. For the record, I haven't watch a single round of golf in his absence.

Friendly suggestion that you might find that right now could be a fun time for you to tune back into golf. Tiger is making a run at the PGA Championship as we type. Not too shabby for a has-been. ;)

• Options

@DamnYankeeDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

You're either joking or delusional.

• Options
    NOVADAWGNOVADAWG Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is sooo good to see, 1 off the lead let’s go baby!!

• Options

The leader hasn't even been shown the past 5 holes. It's as if only 1 player matters.
    If you think competitive athletes like this, you don't understand how they function.
    Still, great effort by Elmo Woods.

• Options
    EastAtlDawgEastAtlDawg Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There will never be another Tiger so enjoy it.Tiger is the greatest ever in golf.Cmon Tiger.

• Options

@EastAtlDawg said:
    There will never be another Tiger so enjoy it.Tiger is the greatest ever in golf.Cmon Tiger.

I don't think I've ever seen a final rd in any tournament where only 1 person was covered.

• Options

My bad, I'm watching online, I didn't realize I was watching ''featured group''.

• Options
    dawgbybirthdawgbybirth Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Nope, I like the drama he brings when in contentions. Polarizing like Jack. If you replace him with another who draws the attentions and excitement of his equal. No problem. Generally golf does not appeal to us all without the drama.

• Options

Koepka has missed 3 easy putts on the back 9 today.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:
    “There’s no point in arguing with ignorant people. They have more experience than you.”

You're worse than ignorant, you're a troll.
    You look for posts of mine, then make it a point to get personal.

You should leave politics and personal insults out of this @Wcdawg. > @WCDawg said:

The leader hasn't even been shown the past 5 holes. It's as if only 1 player matters.
    If you think competitive athletes like this, you don't understand how they function.
    Still, great effort by Elmo Woods.

You are spending too much in the bathroom. Adam Scott and Koepke are on for every shot. It's okay to be wrong. Just admit it and embrace the moment.

• Options
    EastAtlDawgEastAtlDawg Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@EastAtlDawg said:

I don't think I've ever seen a final rd in any tournament where only 1 person was covered.

I mean honestly no one cares about the other people.

• Options

@EastAtlDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@EastAtlDawg said:

I mean honestly no one cares about the other people.

Sure, it's only a major, it's not llike groupie fan boys actually care about golf.

• Options
    gdawg4lifegdawg4life Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m not sure I’ve seen a guy miss that many fairways and still shoot 6 under for the day. And let’s not forget, he had two putts lip out and had another hang on the edge of the cup. But Koepka pulled it together when he needed to.

• Options
    RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tigers not as intimidating as he was in his prime. Players would fold around him down the stretch. And he always seemed to pull off whatever he needed to to win. Harder to do that as you age.

• Options

@gdawg4life said:
    I’m not sure I’ve seen a guy miss that many fairways and still shoot 6 under for the day. And let’s not forget, he had two putts lip out and had another hang on the edge of the cup. But Koepka pulled it together when he needed to.

3 major titles in the last 7 tries, that is special in itself.