Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Will anybody else be glad when Tiger retires ?...

Comments

• Options
    dawfanfromalabamdawfanfromalabam Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:
    The leader hasn't even been shown the past 5 holes. It's as if only 1 player matters.
    If you think competitive athletes like this, you don't understand how they function.
    Still, great effort by Elmo Woods.

Pretty clear your problem is with Woods, not the attention he draws. Probably be different with you if he wasn’t black...

• Options
    BoroDawgBoroDawg Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It’s embarrassing that golf has so many young stars, one of which just won his third major out of the last seven, and all everyone can talk about it Tiger Woods. That’s not good for the game of golf.

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Posts: 163 ✭✭✭ Junior

He is still a super star and It's just a matter of time before he is truly back to his former self. He is the only golfer you can't count out if he is within striking distance on Sunday. I wouldn't bet against him.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dawfanfromalabam said:

@WCDawg said:
    The leader hasn't even been shown the past 5 holes. It's as if only 1 player matters.
    If you think competitive athletes like this, you don't understand how they function.

Pretty clear your problem is with Woods, not the attention he draws. Probably be different with you if he wasn’t black...

Pretty clear to me you're an idiot disguised as a person.

• Options

@TDawg said:
    He is still a super star and It's just a matter of time before he is truly back to his former self. He is the only golfer you can't count out if he is within striking distance on Sunday. I wouldn't bet against him.

His last win in a major was 10 years ago.

• Options

@RPMdawg said:
    Tigers not as intimidating as he was in his prime. Players would fold around him down the stretch. And he always seemed to pull off whatever he needed to to win. Harder to do that as you age.

Jack won a Masters at 46. I won't be surprised if Tiger wins again, but he will never be THE dominant player again.

• Options
    CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tiger_62082 You’r retiring, say it ain’t so ?

• Options
    DamnYankeeDawgDamnYankeeDawg Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@gdawg4life said:
    I’m not sure I’ve seen a guy miss that many fairways and still shoot 6 under for the day. And let’s not forget, he had two putts lip out and had another hang on the edge of the cup. But Koepka pulled it together when he needed to.

3 major titles in the last 7 tries, that is special in itself.

Agreed. He’s in some great company since Arnie did it back in 1960/61. Tiger and Jack have done it multiple times. Trevino, Watson and Faldo have done it too.

Hard to believe Player never did it and he had 9 majors. Neither did Seve or Phil.

Surprisingly, the last golfer to do it was Padraig Harrington in 07/08.

• Options
    DawginSCDawginSC Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@TDawg said:

His last win in a major was 10 years ago.

His last finish in the top two was a few hours ago.

• Options

@DamnYankeeDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@gdawg4life said:
    I’m not sure I’ve seen a guy miss that many fairways and still shoot 6 under for the day. And let’s not forget, he had two putts lip out and had another hang on the edge of the cup. But Koepka pulled it together when he needed to.

3 major titles in the last 7 tries, that is special in itself.

Agreed. He’s in some great company since Arnie did it back in 1960/61. Tiger and Jack have done it multiple times. Trevino, Watson and Faldo have done it too.

Hard to believe Player never did it and he had 9 majors. Neither did Seve or Phil.

Surprisingly, the last golfer to do it was Padraig Harrington in 07/08.

Jordan Spieth won The Masters and US Open in 2015 and finished 2nd in The PGA that year. It looked like he was the next true great but he has proved he doesn't have the consistency of Jack and Tiger.

• Options
    dawfanfromalabamdawfanfromalabam Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@dawfanfromalabam said:

@WCDawg said:

At least I don’t spout crap about having to watch some guy I said was washed up only to have him finish 2nd in the PGA Chsmpionsip. Like so many of your “insights” again you’re just wrong Elmo.

• Options
    BoulderDawgBoulderDawg Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ Junior

@WCDawg said:
    He's 8 shots off the lead today, yet he's the top story ?
    The guy hasn't won a major since WWII..or there about.
    It's past time to promote the top players today.

Why is he a threat to you?

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tiger still plays golf?

• Options
    RDDawgRDDawg Posts: 235 ✭✭✭ Junior

Everyone on this board knows why he gets the attention he gets, especially by ESPN

• Options

@dawfanfromalabam said:

@WCDawg said:

@dawfanfromalabam said:

@WCDawg said:

At least I don’t spout crap about having to watch some guy I said was washed up only to have him finish 2nd in the PGA Chsmpionsip. Like so many of your “insights” again you’re just wrong Elmo.

You dragged race into the conversation, that was idiotic.

• Options

@BoulderDawg said:

@WCDawg said:
    He's 8 shots off the lead today, yet he's the top story ?
    The guy hasn't won a major since WWII..or there about.
    It's past time to promote the top players today.

Why is he a threat to you?

He threatened me ....
    You have proof of this ?

• Options
    judasdurantjudasdurant Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Some golf fans may be happy when he retires, but it will be terrible for the sport. Viewership for this PGA championship was up 69% from last year, and the difference between this year and last was tiger

• Options

@judasdurant said:
    Some golf fans may be happy when he retires, but it will be terrible for the sport. Viewership for this PGA championship was up 69% from last year, and the difference between this year and last was tiger

Doom was predicted when Jordan retired, and there was an adjustment period because fans had fixated on one player for so long.
    Looking at how the NBA has grown since he left though, it has thrived.
    Golf will be better off when fans allow themselves to move on and focus on the sport in a broader way. Tiger was very special to watch in his prime because he did amazing things. Now others are just as good, and even better. It's just an attachment at this point.

• Options
    ForestryDawgForestryDawg Posts: 29,314 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@CZCashvilleDawg said:
    @tiger_62082 You’r retiring, say it ain’t so ?

Actually, @tiger_62082, I wouldn't say no to you retiring from your real job to spend more time being a great recruiting source for us. Unfortunately, we can't pay you.

• Options
    DawginSCDawginSC Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@judasdurant said:

Doom was predicted when Jordan retired, and there was an adjustment period because fans had fixated on one player for so long.
    Looking at how the NBA has grown since he left though, it has thrived.
    Golf will be better off when fans allow themselves to move on and focus on the sport in a broader way. Tiger was very special to watch in his prime because he did amazing things. Now others are just as good, and even better. It's just an attachment at this point.

The last finals Jordan played it the rating was 18.7
    after that

The ratings for Jordan's 6 wins were 15.8, 14.2, 17.9, 16.7, 16.8 and 18.7. The two in between his titles were 12.3 and 13.9. The year before his first was 12.3.

Basketball has not recovered from Jordan in terms of fan interest... not in terms of people watching games on TV. The casual fan hasn't come back. We haven't even gotten to the end of the Bird/Magic years when ratings were regularly around 14 to 15 when either team was in the finals.