Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Will anybody else be glad when Tiger retires ?...

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He's 8 shots off the lead today, yet he's the top story ?
The guy hasn't won a major since WWII..or there about.
It's past time to promote the top players today.

Comments

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

Well as bad as he has been he gets people to watch. And as long as he does that they will keep featuring him.

I agree he’s a pile of p o o p and could go away. That book completely soured him on me

• Options
    BigDawg747BigDawg747 Posts: 170 ✭✭✭ Junior

Actually he is 7 shots back with 11 holes still to play and was in contention for the win at the British Open. He still has a lot left in the tank, he just had to find his game again and I do believe that he has probably found it. He may not have any major wins but he still does have a few tour wins in the past few years. Tour wins are just as hard to win as a major. So major or not, he is still the hottest name on tour.

• Options

@BigDawg747 said:
    Actually he is 7 shots back with 11 holes still to play and was in contention for the win at the British Open. He still has a lot left in the tank, he just had to find his game again and I do believe that he has probably found it. He may not have any major wins but he still does have a few tour wins in the past few years. Tour wins are just as hard to win as a major. So major or not, he is still the hottest name on tour.

Retire already.
    He is at best a top 20 player now.

• Options
    edited August 2018

Well, if your a top 20 player then you would have a 1 in 20 chance of winning a major. That's pretty dang good odds.

• Options

@BigDawg747 said:
    Well, if your a top 20 player then you would have a 1 in 20 chance of winning a major. That's pretty dang good odds.

Your reasoning may be a bit off there.

the 20th best player might have a 1 in 100 chance, while the top player might have a 1 in 6 chance.
    The odds descend incrementally.

• Options
    edited August 2018

Whatever dude. The point is, if you are a top 20 player then your chances are just as good as the number one player. All in all you got to win and there hasn't been a clear cut #1 player since Tiger.

• Options

@BigDawg747 said:
    Whatever dude. The point is, if you are a top 20 player then your chances are just as good as the number one player. All in all you got to win and there hasn't been a clear cut #1 player since Tiger.

Tiger's play does not warrant the attention he gets in tournaments now. It robs more deserving players and more important, annoys ME.

• Options
    RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@BigDawg747 said:

Tiger's play does not warrant the attention he gets in tournaments now. It robs more deserving players and more important, annoys ME.

Golfer here. Totally agree. In his prime, tiger might be 10 shots out and still be showcased more than the leader of the tourney.

• Options
    EastAtlDawgEastAtlDawg Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well I mean unfortunately no one cares about golf if Tiger isn’t playing.As a black man a Tiger is my favorite athlete so I would be very sad when he retires.

• Options
    RPMdawgRPMdawg Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

May be important to add for me, that I pull for the underdog. Never have liked when any team/ athlete is put on a pedestal. The Cowboys way back, jeff Gordon more recent, and the Patriots now. Just me, underdogs or georgia dawgs

• Options

@EastAtlDawg said:
    Well I mean unfortunately no one cares about golf if Tiger isn’t playing.As a black man a Tiger is my favorite athlete so I would be very sad when he retires.

Golf was a sport before Tiger came along. Arnold Palmer was the most marketable athlete of his time and Jack did ok for himself as well.
    I think the focus on Woods hurts the ability to build other golfers' images.
    I'm sorry you feel the way you do, and it's understandable given the lack of other black golfers, but it's not a valid reason to ignore others more worthy at this stage though.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, he is arguably the greatest golfer ever (I think he is). He puts “butts in the seats,” hence the media coverage. I’m over the coverage as well, so I just turn the channel when they cover him over and over. But he has earned it, as far as his career goes.

• Options
    DamnYankeeDawgDamnYankeeDawg Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No, he does not need to retire. Nobody on the modern day tour moves the needle at an event on the pga tour like Tiger. He does warrant the attention even though he is nowhere close to as dominant as he was in the late 90s and 2000s. He built the modern pga in terms of purse money for the tour, attendance and tv rights $$$ from the the networks. The only guy who comes close to Tiger is Phil. Speith, Rory, Sergio, etc couldn’t do it.

You were probably the same guy who said Jack needs to hang up the spikes going into the 1986 Masters.

• Options

Don't forget that he is playing with Justin Thomas who won the PGA Championship last year and Rory Mcleroy who is a major winner as well. I think that grouping will be featured no matter what.

Also, if you don't want to watch Tiger coverage the broadcasting source offers other featured groups and holes too.

• Options
    EastAtlDawgEastAtlDawg Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@EastAtlDawg said:

Golf was a sport before Tiger came along. Arnold Palmer was the most marketable athlete of his time and Jack did ok for himself as well.
    I think the focus on Woods hurts the ability to build other golfers' images.
    I'm sorry you feel the way you do, and it's understandable given the lack of other black golfers, but it's not a valid reason to ignore others more worthy at this stage though.

Arnold Palmer and Jack come from a way different era.Its hard to market golf players because honestly today’s generations just view golf as boring.The only way golf can get another Tiger is if it’s a good looking guy with a bubbly personality which is rare.

• Options
    NOVADAWGNOVADAWG Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tiger Woods made the sport popular again. While he was out of the game the ratings went way down. The ratings at the British open this year were the highest viewer ratings in years. Watch the gallery’s, more people watch him the anyone else. I turn it on tv I don’t care about 20th ranked player in the world, its were is tiger!!

• Options
    PeachCoDawgPeachCoDawg Posts: 489 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited August 2018

Yes and I was his biggest fan back in the day. Still have the SI with him on the cover after he destroyed everyone in that first Master's. I thought "Man, this kid is going to have the Bear beat by 5-10 majors. I think Tiger got 'roided up and it effected his swing and eventually his personal life. He's a shell of the player he was. Then again, it could be that he simply peaked very early and the tank is empty. Idk.
    But I stick with yes. Great player, sad story despite the accomplishments

• Options
    gdawg4lifegdawg4life Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@BigDawg747 said:

Retire already.
    He is at best a top 20 player now.

Does that mean everybody below 20 should retire too?

• Options
    dawfanfromalabamdawfanfromalabam Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, I’ll concentrate on the others guys with the second-most wins and second/-most Major wins in Tour history.

• Options
    dawfanfromalabamdawfanfromalabam Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@BigDawg747 said:

Well, it is all about YOU.