Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Atlanta Braves

Comments

• Options
    Boss_DawgBoss_Dawg Posts: 87 ✭✭✭ Junior

The players AND the owners need to step up here and deliver a product to the sports starved fans.

Millionaires and Billionaires should be able to figure out how to pay back the common folks who have supported them to the tune of tax dollar augmented stadiums for the owners and high ticket prices that allow the players to be paid CEO money.

Our citizens need a win. Deserve a win in an otherwise crappy year. America's so-called pastime should deliver.

PS...As a season ticket holder, I do not believe we are getting refunds (without a fight, anyway). If the season doesn't happen, or is pro-rated I would expect them to try to roll the money into next year like they do with playoff tickets. So someone is making money off of all of the season ticket holders money right now.

• Options
    cf_ugamancf_ugaman Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

well sounds like we are at an impasse... latest update is the PA isnt going to accept the latest offer. I dont get how we have all these other sports coming back and baseball might be the only one that isnt

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,879 mod

I will never take the side of billionaires over millionaires, but I know if there’s no baseball this year I’ll never go to another pro game ever again

• Options
    Boss_DawgBoss_Dawg Posts: 87 ✭✭✭ Junior

The sad thing about this is the heads of all major sports (MLS, MLB, NBA, NFL...not sure about NHL) have been on conference calls together with the governors of every state they have teams in since the end of February. They have been coordinating with the governors on safety measures, opening dates and were way ahead of the curve regarding getting the most relevant studies on virus projections. How the MLB is the only league that can't figure this out with equal information shows how dis-functional the union/league relationship really is. It's not an easy problem to solve, but the economics of it, along with the tradition of it, make it a problem that deserved better leadership than this has gotten. The other leagues have proven that it doesn't need to be the same to make fans happy. Just show a strong effort on both sides to show appreciation for the fans.

• Options
    SavageSavage Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dude, idc who's richer. Just sayin, it's pretty stank. They play a game for a living.....a very lucrative living

• Options

Sounds like you care a little. Just remember these billionaires aren’t risking their health for this. Also the players can only make this money for so long. There’s plenty of blame to go around, but I’m always going to side with labor over corporate overlords

• Options
    edited June 2020

Do I care?? If course I care, there ain't SHITE on tv. I need some live American team sports!

And risking their health?? Cumon bro, I know you're more woke than that.

If I could live on my college budget the way I did, they should be able to manage quite comfortably for the rest of their lives....and if they can't then prob didn't deserve it in the first place

• Options
  • Options

Well you said you didn’t care who was richer. And if you need some live sports, tell these owners to step up and pay up.

And yes, risking their health. Risking getting the corona, giving it to their families, so yes they are taking risks. Has nothing to do with being woke or not

• Options
  • Options
    PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Owners take all the financial risks. Crybaby players have ruined it. I almost completely stopped watching after the players’ last strike, now I won’t waste any more time & money on mlb. Bye bye.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Off topic alert:

Kills me how you younger guys don't put final periods on your posts. I understand that's the way now, with texts and everything else. I get it. It's just hard to look at.

• Options

Fair enough. Hoping both parties can find a compromise otherwise baseball is basically committing suicide

• Options
  • Options
    GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The 48-52 game season is going to be imposed Monday (I'd say it's at 99.9% now) and after that the MLBPA is going to file a grievance in which honestly, I'm not sure they're going to win, if it is in writing that "we will renegotiate in the case of no fans" and the owners can prove in court that they're losing more money than the players think without fans in the stands.

Only thing I'm hearing right now though when I'm thinking about this from both sides is...

Money money money money

More money

Mooonnnnnnneeeeeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Money

In a year of a global pandemic where you're probably going to see a number of white collar job people laid off later this year and already have a lot of unemployment.

Even though it's going to be a shorter season, I hope they just go ahead and start earlier. It's going to pretty much be an exhibition season anyway, so let's start sometime in mid July and get it over with.

• Options
    LD10LD10 Posts: 434 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Looked at my cable bill today and noticed they are still charging a fee for sports channel such as ESPN etc. I'm thinking they should have suspended this fee since no sports have been on for 3 months. Debating on calling my provider.

• Options
  • Options

Anyone have any thoughts about the Braves players sitting out the season?

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate