Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Atlanta Braves

Comments

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@WCDawg said:

I think you're way off...WAY OFF.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=200&type=8&season=2018&month=0&season1=2018&ind=0&team=22&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=16,d

Nicks WRC+ was 114 this year. Compare that against the Dodgers roster. He had a really good first half but his second half was so bad he turned out to be only pretty good on aggregate. Maybe that's what is fooling you

He had a great first half. Both he and Freddie tailed off at the end of the season. Too many games = fatigue?

We definitely need some quality depth in the outfield.
    Swanson is frustrating, he is smart, but you wouldn't know it watching him hit. If he finally came around and became a plus hitter, we'd only need a front line catcher if we keep everybody else.
    If we don't keep Markakis, we'll really have work to do on the outfield.

I wonder how close Pache is to being ready to get the call.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2018

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@WCDawg said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=200&type=8&season=2018&month=0&season1=2018&ind=0&team=22&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=16,d

Nicks WRC+ was 114 this year. Compare that against the Dodgers roster. He had a really good first half but his second half was so bad he turned out to be only pretty good on aggregate. Maybe that's what is fooling you

He had a great first half. Both he and Freddie tailed off at the end of the season. Too many games = fatigue?

Swanson is frustrating, he is smart, but you wouldn't know it watching him hit. If he finally came around and became a plus hitter, we'd only need a front line catcher if we keep everybody else.

Good question, I'm not sure he's ready as a hitter yet. His defense is off the charts, but would being a late inning defensive sub be worthy of a roster spot ? Inciarte is a good defensive player and swapping Markakis's offense for defense in right field might be a bad bargain. I won't be surprised if Drew Waters makes it before Pache, I won't be shocked if Pache is traded because management sees more offensive potential in Waters either.

• KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@WCDawg said:

Good question, I'm not sure he's ready as a hitter yet. His defense is off the charts, but would being a late inning defensive sub be worthy of a roster spot ? Inciarte is a good defensive player and swapping Markakis's offense for defense in right field might be a bad bargain. I won't be surprised if Drew Waters makes it before Pache, I won't be shocked if Pache is traded because management sees more offensive potential in Waters either.

They probably don’t start a position players clock early to be a defensive sub unless you’ve given up on their bat. Pache is probably at least 1-2 years away from being more than just a defense first center fielder. He made some strides this year but the bat still isn’t there yet. They did some good work this year to help his launch angle and that was a really big improvement since he was hitting a ton of grounders straight into the dirt last year. But he doesn’t walk much and that’s a real issue for him right now, so his approach needs some refinement.

Waters is probably even farther away than Pache but I like him a lot. I think he will wind up in a corner, and profiles well there once he grows into his power.

It’s also possible neither will turn into good major leaguers anyway because prospects usually don’t, and they haven’t gotten to be tested in the high minors yet. I like them both though and think they’ll both get in the low-middle parts of top 100 prospect lists to start the year.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2018

@Kirbstomper said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@WCDawg said:

They probably don’t start a position players clock early to be a defensive sub unless you’ve given up on their bat. Pache is probably at least 1-2 years away from being more than just a defense first center fielder. He made some strides this year but the bat still isn’t there yet. They did some good work this year to help his launch angle and that was a really big improvement since he was hitting a ton of grounders straight into the dirt last year. But he doesn’t walk much and that’s a real issue for him right now, so his approach needs some refinement.

Waters is probably even farther away than Pache but I like him a lot. I think he will wind up in a corner, and profiles well there once he grows into his power.

It’s also possible neither will turn into good major leaguers anyway because prospects usually don’t, and they haven’t gotten to be tested in the high minors yet. I like them both though and think they’ll both get in the low-middle parts of top 100 prospect lists to start the year.

Waters' power numbers and OBP are quite a bit better than Pache's. Waters is thin through the hips, which usually isn't a plus, but he transfers power from base to contact point well for such a young guy.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah strange one, she's well respected. She still did the Nashville Predators game last night.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • SavageSavage Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2020

Here's the latest on the season

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod
  • SavageSavage Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks for sharing that. As an old school guy, the proposed NL DH rule as a "temporary" measure sends chills down my spine. Classic camel's nose under the tent.

I know these are strange days and we all need to be flexible, but I hope that doesn't happen.

Ha. I am equally leery of some of the "emergency" measures being crammed into recent federal legislation. Seen this movie before.

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I love baseball. I love numbers.

baseball viewership is dying (I believe it has to do with the greed of seiling and owners not broadcasting all the games and length of games... alll 162 of them)

the games get boring when a gimme out of a pitcher comes up. They pitch around the 8 to get to the pitcher. DH adds excitement.

im glad.

I suppose that may be true for the average fan but I can't relate.

• KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I mean sure, but if you think the players are rich how about the owners. The issue isn’t on one side or the other, they both just need to make some concessions. Also, it isn’t 80% of their salary it is 80% prorated, which is an important distinction.

As for the DH, I tend to think I’d rather watch a professional pitcher pitch to a professional hitter. It makes the games more interesting when there isn’t a free out in the lineup.

• MuffingodMuffingod Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I haven’t obviously paid enough attention to this as I just figured there wouldn’t be baseball this year, but you are right that both need to make concessions. I would imagine that teams lose some money if they don’t have fans in the stadiums, but is that more or less than not having a season at all? Surely the TV deal would cover a good chunk of expenses and this country is starved for sports so they may be able to capture increased ad revenue to help offset.