Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

The Camp Fire is shaping up as our worst natural disaster since Katrina..

Comments

• Options
    PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@PerroGrande said:

@YaleDawg said:

@PerroGrande said:

@YaleDawg said:

@PerroGrande said:

@RedBlackDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@RedBlackDawg said:
    ....and how many times did the OP said he was done with this thread and just kept dragging it on and on and on....attention seeking behavior if I’ve ever seen it

I never said I'm done with this thread, I said I'm done with a couple of posters . Careful the ignorance doesn't infect you.

C’mon man......admit it. You’re just loving all the attention right now, ain’t ya??

And in both instances, Democrats were the governors.

Interesting that you brought the governor up, R&B. Apparently this one is raging on the left wing FB pages and they are trying to get the spin out. Governor Moonbeam vetoed a bill (passed unanimously in both houses) a couple of years ago that would have specifically required utilities to look at forest fire mitigation techniques around utilities. Unbelievable.

Brown is getting a lot of heat because his veto, in many people's eyes, seems to have been a possible contributor in this fire. Snopes has even tried entering the fight, applying their liberal spin on the veto, and the state legislator who sponsored the bill has taken on Snopes, pointing out their spin and errors (fact checking the so called fact checkers). I'm with you, though. It is certainly an important issue, but why is this guy arguing incessantly on a Georgia Bulldog football site about it? And, busily insulting any and everybody who bothers to discuss it with any level of critical thinking. Bizarre.

I don't get the hate for snopes. They have essentially zero bias. Search occupy Democrats or the other 98% on snopes and it's pretty much them trashing all the dumb memes they share on facebook. That's one example but they do a good job of defending R's from unfounded claims as well. I think because trump generates so many stories they are becoming saturated with stuff about Republicans in general.

Yale, you probably think CNN is unbiased, too? Confirmation bias is hard to admit and even recognize in ourselves. Look at the Snopes entry on this one and then look at the fact checking article by the representative who sponsored the bill. CA is a very liberal state, and the bill passed unanimously in both houses! Snopes can be used, but many (besides me) feel they have a strong liberal bias.

And facts don't care about your feelings. Isn't that something shapiro says a lot? Just because you feel like snopes is biased doesnt make it so. They do have a tendency to use some minorly charged language but they always remain factual and almost never delve into opinion. What's your opinion on conservative biased news like Fox? Is that also bad or do you just not like left leaning news?

That is why I gave you a factual example. Fox leans about as hard right as CNN leans left. I would love to see a network that just tries to present the news objectively. IMO, that would sell right now because people are tired of the partisan slant on everything from weather forecasts to financial news.

PBS News Hour is pretty straight forward. PBS has programs that lean left, but News Hour comes close to sticking to delivering the news.

Yes, it is pretty good, but the problem is that it isn’t a substitute for on-demand news. I had something like ONN—Objective News Network in mind. Where the journalists work hard to simply present the news, and spend less time on partisan arguments. The 60s approach to journalism was a lot closer to what I’m talking about (Cronkite, Huntley and Brinkley). If you will, remember when CNN first came up with Crossfire, and people were fascinated by partisans yelling at each other on the air. The fascination is over for me. I think we need to swing the pendulum back the other way.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2018

@PerroGrande said:

@WCDawg said:

@PerroGrande said:

@YaleDawg said:

@PerroGrande said:

@YaleDawg said:

@PerroGrande said:

@RedBlackDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@RedBlackDawg said:
    ....and how many times did the OP said he was done with this thread and just kept dragging it on and on and on....attention seeking behavior if I’ve ever seen it

I never said I'm done with this thread, I said I'm done with a couple of posters . Careful the ignorance doesn't infect you.

C’mon man......admit it. You’re just loving all the attention right now, ain’t ya??

Interesting that you brought the governor up, R&B. Apparently this one is raging on the left wing FB pages and they are trying to get the spin out. Governor Moonbeam vetoed a bill (passed unanimously in both houses) a couple of years ago that would have specifically required utilities to look at forest fire mitigation techniques around utilities. Unbelievable.

Brown is getting a lot of heat because his veto, in many people's eyes, seems to have been a possible contributor in this fire. Snopes has even tried entering the fight, applying their liberal spin on the veto, and the state legislator who sponsored the bill has taken on Snopes, pointing out their spin and errors (fact checking the so called fact checkers). I'm with you, though. It is certainly an important issue, but why is this guy arguing incessantly on a Georgia Bulldog football site about it? And, busily insulting any and everybody who bothers to discuss it with any level of critical thinking. Bizarre.

I don't get the hate for snopes. They have essentially zero bias. Search occupy Democrats or the other 98% on snopes and it's pretty much them trashing all the dumb memes they share on facebook. That's one example but they do a good job of defending R's from unfounded claims as well. I think because trump generates so many stories they are becoming saturated with stuff about Republicans in general.

Yale, you probably think CNN is unbiased, too? Confirmation bias is hard to admit and even recognize in ourselves. Look at the Snopes entry on this one and then look at the fact checking article by the representative who sponsored the bill. CA is a very liberal state, and the bill passed unanimously in both houses! Snopes can be used, but many (besides me) feel they have a strong liberal bias.

And facts don't care about your feelings. Isn't that something shapiro says a lot? Just because you feel like snopes is biased doesnt make it so. They do have a tendency to use some minorly charged language but they always remain factual and almost never delve into opinion. What's your opinion on conservative biased news like Fox? Is that also bad or do you just not like left leaning news?

That is why I gave you a factual example. Fox leans about as hard right as CNN leans left. I would love to see a network that just tries to present the news objectively. IMO, that would sell right now because people are tired of the partisan slant on everything from weather forecasts to financial news.

PBS News Hour is pretty straight forward. PBS has programs that lean left, but News Hour comes close to sticking to delivering the news.

Yes, it is pretty good, but the problem is that it isn’t a substitute for on-demand news. I had something like ONN—Objective News Network in mind. Where the journalists work hard to simply present the news, and spend less time on partisan arguments. The 60s approach to journalism was a lot closer to what I’m talking about (Cronkite, Huntley and Brinkley). If you will, remember when CNN first came up with Crossfire, and people were fascinated by partisans yelling at each other on the air. The fascination is over for me. I think we need to swing the pendulum back the other way.

You can watch the latest News Hour online at any time, but they don't have ted's 24 hr news model.

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,130 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PerroGrande said:

@WCDawg said:

@PerroGrande said:

@YaleDawg said:

@PerroGrande said:

@YaleDawg said:

@PerroGrande said:

@RedBlackDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@RedBlackDawg said:

The associated press and Reuters are good for totally non-biased news

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,932 mod
  • Options

@YaleDawg said:

@PerroGrande said:

@WCDawg said:

@PerroGrande said:

@YaleDawg said:

@PerroGrande said:

@YaleDawg said:

@PerroGrande said:

@RedBlackDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@RedBlackDawg said:

The associated press and Reuters are good for totally non-biased news

Yep, just straight old school wire service reports usually don't delve too much into the writers' political bent.

• Options

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:
    @JeffSentell not sure if we'll be voting for more forum awards anytime soon. But if so, can we nominate this thread for "worst thread of the year?" Thanks in advance for any consideration... I'd rather be talking about pincer movement/double envelopment or CBs height.

Yet...here you are.
    Too bad we can't choose which threads we respond to.

I read all threads, and this one (I'm sure you'll agree to an extent) is a train wreck... And yet, here you are after weeks back saying bringing up politics on this board was a bad idea... yet here you are again, going on and on and on about them. I understand that's not what your OP was about, but you were more than eager to get the political comments going just a few comments into this thread.

Here's my deal.
    On this type of board it's much more accepted to toss around labels like ''lefty'' than it is to counter with equally derogatory language. Typically a poster is expected to respond to such insults in almost apologetic fashion. ''well, I'm not really a liberal, but I can see your point....f...that. If you use insulting language, I'm more inclined to one up than fall back.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PerroGrande said:

@YaleDawg said:

@PerroGrande said:

@YaleDawg said:

@PerroGrande said:

@RedBlackDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@RedBlackDawg said:

I actually disagree with this. Their news is on the up and up. Now their opinion shows are a different story, but they're upfront about it. The only show I watch on Fox regularly is The Five. They always have views from multiple sides so I think that's pretty fair. I've seen the spin and slants from the other news agencies and they're horrific. They actually sit there and call the POTUS racist, and white nationalist, and whatever else names they can come up with that actually better reflect themselves then Trump on most days.... and sheep like WC eat it up and regurgitate it like it's fact. It's sad that they do this in the name of the dollar. But it's truly sad there's enough people out there that actually believe it and tune in to give them those dollars.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:
    @JeffSentell not sure if we'll be voting for more forum awards anytime soon. But if so, can we nominate this thread for "worst thread of the year?" Thanks in advance for any consideration... I'd rather be talking about pincer movement/double envelopment or CBs height.

Yet...here you are.

I read all threads, and this one (I'm sure you'll agree to an extent) is a train wreck... And yet, here you are after weeks back saying bringing up politics on this board was a bad idea... yet here you are again, going on and on and on about them. I understand that's not what your OP was about, but you were more than eager to get the political comments going just a few comments into this thread.

Here's my deal.
    On this type of board it's much more accepted to toss around labels like ''lefty'' than it is to counter with equally derogatory language. Typically a poster is expected to respond to such insults in almost apologetic fashion. ''well, I'm not really a liberal, but I can see your point....f...that. If you use insulting language, I'm more inclined to one up than fall back.

I use lefty because I think that is more accurate then liberal. The classic liberal is nothing like what you see today. And the left has nothing to do with liberty in most of their philosophies. They want to grow govt and control and regulation over the citizens. It's just a name, or label. I don't really think of it as an insult except in the fact I generally don't like their governing policies. Do you disagree?

• Options

@RxDawg said:

@PerroGrande said:

@YaleDawg said:

@PerroGrande said:

@YaleDawg said:

@PerroGrande said:

@RedBlackDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@RedBlackDawg said:

I actually disagree with this. Their news is on the up and up. Now their opinion shows are a different story, but they're upfront about it. The only show I watch on Fox regularly is The Five. They always have views from multiple sides so I think that's pretty fair. I've seen the spin and slants from the other news agencies and they're horrific. They actually sit there and call the POTUS racist, and white nationalist, and whatever else names they can come up with that actually better reflect themselves then Trump on most days.... and sheep like WC eat it up and regurgitate it like it's fact. It's sad that they do this in the name of the dollar. But it's truly sad there's enough people out there that actually believe it and tune in to give them those dollars.

• Options

That's all you've got Yale? I'd expect more from Ivy leaguer.

People on the left always harp about Fox like it's just the worst. But other then Hannity and the likes, I don't see that. It's certainly nothing like CNN or MSNBC. They're just threatened by their success. And the left's mantra has always been to attack what they feel threatened by. What they can't see is the reason for their success. They might learn something if they could.

• Options

@RxDawg said:

People on the left always harp about Fox like it's just the worst. But other then Hannity and the likes, I don't see that. It's certainly nothing like CNN or MSNBC. They're just threatened by their success. And the left's mantra has always been to attack what they feel threatened by. What they can't see is the reason for their success. They might learn something if they could.

Yeah but "Hannity and the likes" are the most popular shows on fox. That's where the average fox viewer gets information which is usually the left is trying to ruin America, the left is full of dumb people, they are brainwashing your children, obama is a Muslim Kenyan, death panels, clinton killed seth rich, the mail bombs are a false flag orchestrated by the Democrats to build sympathy before the election, the caravan is an invasion meant to destroy America, massive election fraud cost the president the popular vote, and that's just off the top of my head. Yeah cnn and MSNBC in particular have a left leaning bias but to say they are as bad as or worse than fox is more than a stretch.

• Options
    edited November 2018

@RxDawg said:

@PerroGrande said:

@YaleDawg said:

@PerroGrande said:

@YaleDawg said:

@PerroGrande said:

@RedBlackDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@RedBlackDawg said:

I wouldn't know any of the 5 if I passed them on a street, but Fox News overall is far right and very propagandist.
    CNN is more anti-Trump than pro liberal, but neither come close to being honest news brokers, though CNN was once great.

• Options
    edited November 2018

@12ed said:

@RxDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

Yet...here you are.

Here's my deal.

I use lefty because I think that is more accurate then liberal. The classic liberal is nothing like what you see today. And the left has nothing to do with liberty in most of their philosophies. They want to grow govt and control and regulation over the citizens. It's just a name, or label. I don't really think of it as an insult except in the fact I generally don't like their governing policies. Do you disagree?

Here's the thing

WC's not a bad poster. He can be a good sport. When it comes to politics though, he is ABSOLUTELY NOT interested in debate. Especially nuances about government size or what a fascist really is. His politics are intricately tied to his moral concepts, which is why he blasts people he disagrees with and dismisses because they're intrinsically evil. That, and his mind is made up and he doesn't feel the need to debate, you either agree in which case atta boy, or you don't and if you rub him wrong you're probably a Nazi.

It doesn't help that most posters engage in ad-hominem with him, but he's very guilty of reciprocating that behavior and avoiding any hope of rational debate. He discourages rational political debate more often than not and goes into "IM GLAD IM NOT LIKE YOU PEOPLE" mode

Here's MY thing. It's just accepted that these faux right blowhards can make snide insults, but they don't think it's fair to have the same or stepped up language thrown back at them. Besides, they are wrong. also, I'm so glad I'm not like those people... >:)

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@12ed said:

@RxDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

Yet...here you are.

Here's my deal.

I didn’t single you out in calling this thread a train wreck, many posters contributed to that (on both sides of the aisle). Just funny that you were done talking politics on here weeks back, but have now gone the route of trying to one-up those who insult you... either way, you were very eager to turn this political a few posts in to this thread. You should be a politician, say one thing and do the opposite.

• Options

@RxDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

Yet...here you are.

Here's my deal.

90% of your ideas about ''lefties'' are not supported with facts except when you're talking about the fringe left, the fringe right has more in common with the current mainstream right than the fringe left has in common with mainstream democrats. I'm neither, I vote democrat in national elections because I don't like today's republican platform, but I'm probably more fiscally conservative than most republicans. they passed the biggest deficit spending bill in world history last year.

• Options

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@12ed said:

@RxDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

Yet...here you are.

Here's my deal.

I didn’t single you out in calling this thread a train wreck, many posters contributed to that (on both sides of the aisle). Just funny that you were done talking politics on here weeks back, but have now gone the route of trying to one-up those who insult you... either way, you were very eager to turn this political a few posts in to this thread. You should be a politician, say one thing and do the opposite.

I will always one up those who insult me, that and having a squirrel living on top of my head are probably the only things I have in common with Trump. Republicans have become far too privileged in their willingness to throw around insults, yet they are usually thin skinned, very Trump like.

• Options

@RxDawg said:

Fox is the worst of those 3, other than CNN's hate for Trump.

• Options

@12ed said:

@WCDawg said:

@12ed said:

@WCDawg said:

@YaleDawg said:

@WCDawg said:
    This once noble thread has taken several bee-zar turns.

Russian bots again. Damnn you Putin, damnn you to hell.

Trump = Russian bot.

The sad part is I use to like Russia in the 80s. Garbageoff was a good guy but he ruined the whole thing and gave Reagan notoriety in the process. Then Putin came in and basically adopted a type of Nazism. Then after the olympics in Moscow, where KGB officers came in direct contact with DJT, they turned him into a sleeper agent through blackmail. Enter the pee tapes.

The word on the street is DJT peed on prosties in a hotel room. There is evidence to believe this. After all he did bang Candidate Avenatti's client, who's known for her legendary art films, it's so obvious DJT is the type of guy that would pee on a bunch of prosties in a hotel room. The clincher? The KGB FILMED IT! DJT let them in the room with cameras and he did it under the belief that they'd give him the tape for his personal collection of DJT Prostie Watersports. But guess what? OMG BBQ SAUCE THEY DIDN'T GIVE HIM THE TAPE. DJT didn't know they were KGB he thought they were just ordinary camera men. Supposedly he got roughed up pretty bad trying to get the tape back from them. It was a sad fight, that I can tell you.

This is what Mueller is really after. Because this is what the KGB is holding over DJT's head. Hey! Are you still reading?? Are you?? Had enough yet? The truth will set you on FIRE.

Exhibit A: House Democrats summoned DJT to testify against the Reagan tax cuts back in 1991, I believe. He said the tax cuts were a disaster. This is not something a Nazi would do, because Republicans are Nazis and tax cuts are Nazism.

Exhibit B: DJT use to give lots of $$$$ to Democrats. Now I'm not even going to presuppose that Democrat politicians are corrupt. This just isn't possible. So it couldn't possibly be for buying influence. So since we've gotten that out of the way, we have to acknowledge that no Nazi would give money to Democrats, because Republicans are Nazis and giving money to Democrats is not Nazism.

Now, we know Trump has been VERY ACCOMMODATING of Putin, and he TURNED TO NAZISM in his run for president. None of this is disputable. I rest my case.

Mueller will find the pee tapes.

I can sympathize with Trump laundering Putin's hard stolen cash through bogus real estate deals, we've all been guilty of that. Letting commie hos pee on him was wrong though, and probably unsanitary..Rake America Great Again !

Mueller will find the truth

unless

HIS INVESTIGATION HAS BEEN INFILTRATED BY TRUMP STATE WHITE NATIONALISTS!!

I think Trump wants Congressman Devin Nunes on the Trump State billion dollar bills he plans on having printed once he's named emperor for life.

• Options
    efreeman3efreeman3 Posts: 99 ✭✭✭ Junior

Why don’t we focus on what we have in common, being UGA fans, than what divides us? Politics, Religion, etc. I’m all for a healthy debate but some are not capable of respectfully disagreeing with others.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@RxDawg said:

@PerroGrande said:

@YaleDawg said:

@PerroGrande said:

@YaleDawg said:

@PerroGrande said:

@RedBlackDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@RedBlackDawg said:

I wouldn't know any of the 5 if I passed them on a street, but Fox News overall is far right and very propagandist.
    CNN is more anti-Trump than pro liberal, but neither come close to being honest news brokers, though CNN was once great.

I miss the CNN of old.