Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

The Camp Fire is shaping up as our worst natural disaster since Katrina..

Comments

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@RxDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:
    @JeffSentell not sure if we'll be voting for more forum awards anytime soon. But if so, can we nominate this thread for "worst thread of the year?" Thanks in advance for any consideration... I'd rather be talking about pincer movement/double envelopment or CBs height.

Yet...here you are.
    Too bad we can't choose which threads we respond to.

I read all threads, and this one (I'm sure you'll agree to an extent) is a train wreck... And yet, here you are after weeks back saying bringing up politics on this board was a bad idea... yet here you are again, going on and on and on about them. I understand that's not what your OP was about, but you were more than eager to get the political comments going just a few comments into this thread.

Here's my deal.
    On this type of board it's much more accepted to toss around labels like ''lefty'' than it is to counter with equally derogatory language. Typically a poster is expected to respond to such insults in almost apologetic fashion. ''well, I'm not really a liberal, but I can see your point....f...that. If you use insulting language, I'm more inclined to one up than fall back.

I use lefty because I think that is more accurate then liberal. The classic liberal is nothing like what you see today. And the left has nothing to do with liberty in most of their philosophies. They want to grow govt and control and regulation over the citizens. It's just a name, or label. I don't really think of it as an insult except in the fact I generally don't like their governing policies. Do you disagree?

90% of your ideas about ''lefties'' are not supported with facts except when you're talking about the fringe left, the fringe right has more in common with the current mainstream right than the fringe left has in common with mainstream democrats. I'm neither, I vote democrat in national elections because I don't like today's republican platform, but I'm probably more fiscally conservative than most republicans. they passed the biggest deficit spending bill in world history last year.

True... but the "fringe left" almost won the democratic primary for president a couple of years ago. And in fact probably would have if the deck wasn't so stacked against Bernnie. The "fringe right" has almost no bearing on republican politics at all right now. Now I got a feeling that what you define as the fringe on the right might differ from what I define. But the dems and the media have been trying to paint the right as radical for years. They've repeated it and moved the goal posts so much that a lot of folks have forgotten the original stances. The left is so good at deflecting blame and character attacks. It's the part about them that I despise. I can't support people like that. But supporting small govt and personal responsibility is in no way radical.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2018

@RxDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@RxDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:
    @JeffSentell not sure if we'll be voting for more forum awards anytime soon. But if so, can we nominate this thread for "worst thread of the year?" Thanks in advance for any consideration... I'd rather be talking about pincer movement/double envelopment or CBs height.

Yet...here you are.

I read all threads, and this one (I'm sure you'll agree to an extent) is a train wreck... And yet, here you are after weeks back saying bringing up politics on this board was a bad idea... yet here you are again, going on and on and on about them. I understand that's not what your OP was about, but you were more than eager to get the political comments going just a few comments into this thread.

Here's my deal.
    On this type of board it's much more accepted to toss around labels like ''lefty'' than it is to counter with equally derogatory language. Typically a poster is expected to respond to such insults in almost apologetic fashion. ''well, I'm not really a liberal, but I can see your point....f...that. If you use insulting language, I'm more inclined to one up than fall back.

I use lefty because I think that is more accurate then liberal. The classic liberal is nothing like what you see today. And the left has nothing to do with liberty in most of their philosophies. They want to grow govt and control and regulation over the citizens. It's just a name, or label. I don't really think of it as an insult except in the fact I generally don't like their governing policies. Do you disagree?

90% of your ideas about ''lefties'' are not supported with facts except when you're talking about the fringe left, the fringe right has more in common with the current mainstream right than the fringe left has in common with mainstream democrats. I'm neither, I vote democrat in national elections because I don't like today's republican platform, but I'm probably more fiscally conservative than most republicans. they passed the biggest deficit spending bill in world history last year.

True... but the "fringe left" almost won the democratic primary for president a couple of years ago. And in fact probably would have if the deck wasn't so stacked against Bernnie. The "fringe right" has almost no bearing on republican politics at all right now. Now I got a feeling that what you define as the fringe on the right might differ from what I define. But the dems and the media have been trying to paint the right as radical for years. They've repeated it and moved the goal posts so much that a lot of folks have forgotten the original stances. The left is so good at deflecting blame and character attacks. It's the part about them that I despise. I can't support people like that. But supporting small govt and personal responsibility is in no way radical.

Small government my ass. Republicans controlled both houses and the executive branch last year, they used that power to pass the biggest, most deficit producing budget in the history of the world. Being too cheap to pay for it isn't being conservative, it's being cheap and selfish.

• Options

Add Chief Justice John Roberts to the ever growing list of ''lefty'' critics of Trump.

• Options

@WCDawg said:
    Add Chief Justice John Roberts to the ever growing list of ''lefty'' critics of Trump.

The right doesn't have group think. We actually have some diversity of opinions and policies.

• Options
    edited November 2018

@RxDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

The right doesn't have group think. We actually have some diversity of opinions and policies.

You sure wouldn't know it by boards like this one.
    There is an old guard, true republicanism, but that shrinking group has no voice among the dominant trumptsers.
    There effectively is no national Republican Party, it has been taken over by Trump.

• Options

Nah, Trump is just the first one that has the stones to actually fight back. Since he's not a true politician, he's not worried about winning the next election at all costs. The ole try to please everyone and end up pleasing no one routine. That's what makes him both great and not so great. But it's been refreshing to see him pump some courage into the right. Unless your on the left. In that case you are just simply not used to any resistance and are appalled by it and consider it to be a "take over".

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This a terrible tragedy that has happened but have you guys seen where Jordan Rogers put Aaron on blast about the fire. Like happy thanksgiving from the Rogers family....

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options

@dbrown7494 said:
    Here is the tweet. Also donate if you are able to.

Wow. Jordan says a lot of dumb chit.

• Options
    edited November 2018

@RxDawg said:
    Nah, Trump is just the first one that has the stones to actually fight back. Since he's not a true politician, he's not worried about winning the next election at all costs. The ole try to please everyone and end up pleasing no one routine. That's what makes him both great and not so great. But it's been refreshing to see him pump some courage into the right. Unless your on the left. In that case you are just simply not used to any resistance and are appalled by it and consider it to be a "take over".

Trump is a huge POS, his followers are idiots at best.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

@WCDawg said:

@dbrown7494 said:

I don’t think you know the whole story here

• Options

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@dbrown7494 said:

I don’t think you know the whole story here

I don't but I know Jordan has history of shooting off about things he seems uninformed of.
    Family situations are unique though. Maybe Aaron deserves criticism and maybe Jordan is just envious of his success.

• Options
    edited November 2018

@12ed said:

@RxDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@RxDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

Yet...here you are.

Here's my deal.

That's one of the unfortunate realities we're left with.

There are enough corporatist Republicans in the Federal legislature to stymie any legislation that would impose fiscal responsibility. Because Republicans representatives are effectively by and large, useless. Simply put, it's like how the ACA mandate was exempted from representatives. Because they're a protected class on their own, a uniparty of sorts. This is why government grows exponentially regardless of D or R control.

Think how useless Paul Ryan was as Speaker, and he claimed to be a fiscal hawk.

Trump can have departments deregulate all he wants, but he clearly favors the big spending side of things. If this were the late 90s to early 2000s and Trump had ran for president, he would've ran successfully as a D before the wholesale grand pivot to identity politics. Back when unions played a much bigger role in national democrat politics.

Since his economic platform partially summarized is government stimulus to the economy(see the $1 tril infrastructure plan he announced immediately post-election), pseudo tax-cuts and deregulation(Dodd-Frank rollback, EPA)..there's only 1.5 things in that selection to really like if you're a fiscal hawk. The other 1.5 is incredibly bad.

The sad thing is, most people aren't attune to the reality that both parties advance forms of corporatism. Country club dinosaur, Chamber of crony capitalism brand or the leftward brand that includes types like Steyer, silicon valley elites and media types that peddle social engineering in all facets of life. Then the corporatist bankers that received bailouts via W are very much uniparty. Never forget the moron W that said he "abandoned the free market to save it." This defines the modern Republican party's opinion of free market economic until somebody completely demolishes it to a point it can start anew.

Trumpy boy isn't really in either crowd, because they have little to no control over him, even if he makes temporary alliances with some of them. He's a chaos variable.

All that said, I was really wanting Austin Petersen to win the libertarian nomination because he was the only potential nominee that seemed completely competent to me.

There is also a built in flaw because every person in Congress is on a 2 year cycle. They are always buying votes with free stuff and being bought off by monied interest. That doesn't even touch on the more sinister corruption, which is rampant.
    Then there's radically gerrymandered districts. Representatives are now in mostly extremely partisan districts, their most politically safe positions are often the least common sense positions.

• Options

@12ed said:

@RxDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

Roberts is a W appointee.

Sold the ACA mandate as a tax to keep it alive.

Kept his mouth shut when Obama excoriated SCOTUS at the SOTU address. Which wasn't a criticism before today, because the judiciary isn't suppose to open its mouth on the political side of things.

But now he breaks judiciary decorum.

0 respect for Roberts.

I gave that an UV, which of course means the opposite.

• Options

@12ed said:

@RxDawg said:
    Unless your on the left. In that case you are just simply not used to any resistance and are appalled by it and consider it to be a "take over".

Bipartisanship has always been the great misnomer. Democrats lay the corporatist track, the media sells it and demonizes all opposition in Saul Alinsky fashion. See how they handled Ted Cruz during the government shutdown in 2013, the Republicans even joined in on attacking him. Then it's been Republican grandstanding and capitulation with some $$$ thrown their way via the special interest they represent. Cruz still isn't in "their club" because of that government shutdown episode.

That's barely changed under Trumpy. I'm really surprised some of those Rs even pushed back regarding Kavanaugh. I'm still expecting great capitulations from Kavanaugh on highly controversial cases that the media turns into partisan circuses. It would be so typical.

I'm curious about what cases you think Kavanaugh might not vote his beliefs on.

• Options

I don't think most Trump supporters understand how subversive his instincts are to our system of government, or maybe you just don't care.

• Options

@12ed said:

@WCDawg said:

@12ed said:

@RxDawg said:
    Unless your on the left. In that case you are just simply not used to any resistance and are appalled by it and consider it to be a "take over".

Bipartisanship has always been the great misnomer. Democrats lay the corporatist track, the media sells it and demonizes all opposition in Saul Alinsky fashion. See how they handled Ted Cruz during the government shutdown in 2013, the Republicans even joined in on attacking him. Then it's been Republican grandstanding and capitulation with some $$$ thrown their way via the special interest they represent. Cruz still isn't in "their club" because of that government shutdown episode.

That's barely changed under Trumpy. I'm really surprised some of those Rs even pushed back regarding Kavanaugh. I'm still expecting great capitulations from Kavanaugh on highly controversial cases that the media turns into partisan circuses. It would be so typical.

Wake me when the first highly controversial, media-publicized case of his time hits the SCOTUS docket and I'll let you know.

Of course I could be entirely wrong. The left fuqed up big in their mission against Clarence Thomas. It galvanized him to not give a single schitt about what the media thinks. Same thing might play out here with Kavanaugh

I think Thomas was always just what he is now.
    A person who was made by Affirmative Action but doesn't believe in it. A man who doesn't believe racism exist yet screams ''high tech lynching'' when it suits his purpose.
    I think he's a shell of a human being who is probably self loathing beneath the shallow self interest.

If Kavanaugh is petty and vindictive, I think he came into the hearings that way.
    That said, I think it was wrong to throw out unsubstantiated accusations without first finding out if evidence could be uncovered. I think Kavanaugh revealed long standing dislike for democrats, that sort of pointed anger didn't just develop overnight.

• Options

@12ed said:

@WCDawg said:
    I don't think most Trump supporters understand how subversive his instincts are to our system of government, or maybe you just don't care.

If you like the trajectory of this country before Trump then I can see why you'd see him as subversive in instinct.

I mean Jeb would've been the very not subversive choice on the R side, I suppose. We could be invading Syria and Iran right now. Maybe we would've bombed North Korea and Saudi Arabia today. Maybe we could've even dragged Russia into it.

It isn't like Hillary didn't vote for the Iraq war, either. Hell look at Obama and Libya.

I'd take Trump with his subversive instincts over the interventionist, blatantly crony capitalist lot that receive little to NO resistance in our wonderful system of government. At least Trump can be kept in check. Thomas Sowell voted for Trump on the basis that he'd be the easiest to impeach, and that's a sad fact. No one woulYou're conflating big time. d impeach Hillary if she committed an impeachable act, solely because she'd be the first woman president and identity politics trumps everything. Republicans wouldn't want to be known for pushing the impeachment of the first woman president.

I guarantee you if Trump committed an impeachable act the Republicans would be the first in line to impeach his azz for the sake of their political futures. The media isn't going to run interference for them and Republican voters aren't the yee haw confederate morons you think they are.

You're conflating big time. Cancer is not the best treatment for a cold.
    Trump is a cancer that has metastasized on our society.

• Options
    edited November 2018

@12ed said:

@WCDawg said:

@12ed said:

@WCDawg said:

@12ed said:

@RxDawg said:

Wake me when the first highly controversial, media-publicized case of his time hits the SCOTUS docket and I'll let you know.

Of course I could be entirely wrong. The left fuqed up big in their mission against Clarence Thomas. It galvanized him to not give a single schitt about what the media thinks. Same thing might play out here with Kavanaugh

A person who was made by Affirmative Action but doesn't believe in it. A man who doesn't believe racism exist yet screams ''high tech lynching'' when it suits his purpose.
    I think he's a shell of a human being who is probably self loathing beneath the shallow self interest.

Of course you do....

The real you is coming out. I suspected the Avenatti chit was angry sarcasm, now I'm sure of it.

• Options

@12ed said:

@WCDawg said:

@12ed said:

@WCDawg said:

@12ed said:

@WCDawg said:

@12ed said:

@RxDawg said:

Of course you do....

The real you is really coming out.

I don't really know what you want me to say re: your dehumanization of Clarence Thomas.

Thomas dehumanized himself when he chose to ignore how he got to where he is.