Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Drama with Godwin?

Comments

• Options
    amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@chattdawg27 said:
    Kirby says every week that the best will play... So what’s that tell ya??? Godwin clearly isn’t the best receiver on the team, hell not even top 4. This isn’t peewee league, & your mama can’t do anything about it.

Terry may well be the best on the team, but there are others in the running.

Agreed, WCDawg. A healthy Terry Godwin probably is our most complete wide receiver, but that still wouldn't necessarily result in the QB throwing him the ball more than anyone else.

We need to figure out why we never have receivers with good stats.

Frankly I wouldn't want my 5 star WR son to sign with a program that won't get the ball to him like other elite programs.
    It's an odd situation where not even AJ Green put up elite stats, our coaches need to consider this in my opinion.

“Elite stats” as a college WR “does not equal” “NFL potential.” If you have the potential, the NFL will find you. I think it’s pretty safe to say, barring unforeseen injury, Godwin, Mecole, Holloman and Ridley will have their chance to play on Sundays.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2018

@amjadawgs said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@chattdawg27 said:
    Kirby says every week that the best will play... So what’s that tell ya??? Godwin clearly isn’t the best receiver on the team, hell not even top 4. This isn’t peewee league, & your mama can’t do anything about it.

Agreed, WCDawg. A healthy Terry Godwin probably is our most complete wide receiver, but that still wouldn't necessarily result in the QB throwing him the ball more than anyone else.

Frankly I wouldn't want my 5 star WR son to sign with a program that won't get the ball to him like other elite programs.
    It's an odd situation where not even AJ Green put up elite stats, our coaches need to consider this in my opinion.

“Elite stats” as a college WR “does not equal” “NFL potential.” If you have the potential, the NFL will find you. I think it’s pretty safe to say, barring unforeseen injury, Godwin, Mecole, Holloman and Ridley will have their chance to play on Sundays.

Name a 1st round receiver who didn't have elite stats in college though. Same with RBs. AJ didn't have truly elite stats for various reasons, but Terry having under 400 yards his senior season does matter.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@amjadawgs said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@chattdawg27 said:

Name a 1st round receiver who didn't have elite stats in college though. Same with RBs. AJ didn't have truly elite stats for various reasons, but Terry having under 400 yards his senior season does matter.

It has been pointed out that AJ Green never had a 1000 yard season. Were his stats considered "elite"? Not sure what the definition of elite is.

• Options

@Midnite_Train said:
    Read her timeline, a whole lot of Richt praising, which I assume is supposed to be subtle jabs at the current staff.

Eason, Nauta, Holyfield, Blankenship, even Sony & Chubb have all had murmurings of frustrations with the staff, but guess what, the crime rises to the top or gets the heck on.

This is why a suffer from Haselwood fatigue and won’t shed a tear if he chooses to take a me-first attitude to someone else’s locker room.

I've always thought Haselwood's focus on UGA receivers' production would be an issue.
    It is what it is, I won't pretend recruits shouldn't consider how they'll be used.

• Options
    greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This situation is no different that the one we had with Eason/Fromm last season. Eason started, got hurt, Jake did a good job coming in as backup, got the hot hand, kept the hot hand, became the starter, and the rest is history.

Like they always say, history has a way of repeating itself.

Madea, can you please call these ladies and set them scraight?

Kirby is gonna play the absolute best players we have no matter who it is. The ultimate goal is to WIN, not play favorites. Those days are long gone. We want natty's and Kirby's gonna do whatever it takes. Anyone can see that by now...

• Options
    VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@chattdawg27 said:

Well AJ was a different regime but was mostly only stopped by injury, and most significantly, a 4 game suspension courtesy of the NCAA. Given those 4 games back I think he stats AND UGAs season would have finished much better than they did.

• Options
    edited November 2018

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@amjadawgs said:

@WCDawg said:

@Bankwalker said:

@WCDawg said:

@chattdawg27 said:

It has been pointed out that AJ Green never had a 1000 yard season. Were his stats considered "elite"? Not sure what the definition of elite is.

Well Godwin being under 400 yards his senior season isn't elite, I think we can all agree on that.

Julio, Amari Cooper and Ridley all had at least 1 season with 1000 yards at Bama, they were all 1st rd picks. AJ had just under 1000 yards his final season and over 800 yards each of his other 2 seasons at UGA.

I've thought for a long time we probably should make an effort to have go to receivers who produce big numbers.

We went a long time between 1000 yard rushers, once Knowshon did it the dam broke loose.

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@TNDawg71 said:

@JRT812 said:
    Sounds like someone is afraid they may not get a new house

I think it is just a matter of losing perspective when it's your kid. You see it at all levels of competitive sports. Unfortunately Social Media makes everyone all too aware.

And a lot of people are expecting these kids’ families to act strictly professional. As much as people want to make it more like professional football with the playoffs, etc.. This ain’t professional football. Things like this are going to happen.

People prefer this game because it’s more unpredictable an emotion driven. But when unpredictable, emotion driven things happen that aren’t neatly tucked away inside a uniform, people get all ****.

• Options
    PolynikesPolynikes Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Godwin is a reliable receiver with great route running capabilities and has a lot of experience playing football in this offense. He is not Julio or AJ, and that's okay.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This a whole lot m> @levander said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@JRT812 said:

I think it is just a matter of losing perspective when it's your kid. You see it at all levels of competitive sports. Unfortunately Social Media makes everyone all too aware.

And a lot of people are expecting these kids’ families to act strictly professional. As much as people want to make it more like professional football with the playoffs, etc.. This ain’t professional football. Things like this are going to happen.

People prefer this game because it’s more unpredictable an emotion driven. But when unpredictable, emotion driven things happen that aren’t neatly tucked away inside a uniform, people get all ****.

For the players, I very much agree with you. But for their adult parents? Come on man, she should know better then to act a fool online. The week before the biggest game of the year too. Plus, he's a freaking starter and plays on the majority of offensive snaps. I'm extremely disappointed in her. And I'm biting my tongue a good bit about this.

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@RxDawg said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@JRT812 said:

For the players, I very much agree with you. But for their adult parents? Come on man, she should know better then to act a fool online. The week before the biggest game of the year too. Plus, he's a freaking starter and plays on the majority of offensive snaps. I'm extremely disappointed in her. And I'm biting my tongue a good bit about this.

If acting a fool online is the criteria then you must be disappointed in a lot of people, I know I am. That's why I stay off it, except for a few spots like here.

• Options

@WCDawg, you do make some valid points, but as good of a receiving group as we currently have, I don’t think any of them, other than maybe JJ Holloman were seen as future 1st rounders for the NFL. Ridley was a 3 star recruit. Mecole and Terry, as great as they are, just lack size to be a first rounder. That being said, wherever Haselwood signs, he is expected to go first round. Blaylock, maybe. He has much better route running skills than Mecole and Godwin had when starting their careers at UGA, but still lacks size.

I don’t have the time to research the number of first round WR’s who didn’t have great stats in college, but I was basing my argument more on “non first rounders” who made a name for themselves when given an opportunity to play on Sundays. Just off the top of my head there’s this guy named Tom Brady. And another RB, can’t remember for sure where he played college ball, but 196th pick in the 1995 draft. And yet one more scrawny kid drafted at number 117th overall – Steve Largent.

But, I do think we can agree, the NFL has drastically changed the last 6 – 8 years – especially regarding WR’s. We just don’t see as many smaller guys put up stats like Largent and Wes Welker. It has become the bigger, stronger WR’s more of late. This is one reason I have lost interest in the NFL. It has become more of a “every team pretty much runs the same offense and defense” league. That’s why there are just no more dominating teams to pull for or against. The closest “dominant” team over the past few years would be the Pats, but there are far fewer “impressive” runs/wins in the NFL as in years past. I know this is a little “off subject,” but just wanted to better explain my opinion.

• Options
    DawgsauceDawgsauce Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2018

This has to be tough for TG with his mom being so public about her issues. Feel bad for him.

• Options
    dawgs18dawgs18 Posts: 183 ✭✭✭ Junior

I do not know what TG5's mom is referring to when she says it will all come out soon but I can tell you this: IF SHE ATTEMPTS TO PUT ANYTHING OUT POTENTIALLY DAMAGING UGA FOOTBALL IN ANY WAY OR AT WORST CAUSE NCAA INVESTIGATIONS/SANCTIONS HER SON WILL NO LONGER HAVE A SCHOOL TO REP OR TO COME BACK TO. I don't think she is considering the consequence which are even worse if she isn't 100% correct or it can't be proven. Let it be and move on woman!!! NFL scouts and GMs will see this kind of stuff and I promise you will not like it!!!!

• Options

As for the OP, My son and I have met him several times as we live in the same area of Georgia. He is definitely a DGD! I think this is more of a “mother hen” mama standing up for her son. Godwin may possibly be a little disgruntled, but injury has played a lot into his numbers for the season. I expect him to put up good numbers in SECCG and “hopefully” in the 2 games to follow.

• Options
    kelly_bkelly_b Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@TNDawg71 said:

@RxDawg said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@JRT812 said:

If acting a fool online is the criteria then you must be disappointed in a lot of people, I know I am. That's why I stay off it, except for a few spots like here.

Unfortunately, some mothers are just overbearing...and that appears to be the case here. I feel bad for Terry. It must be embarrassing.

• Options
    VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Geez, she is throwing serious shade. I can’t take this woman seriously when she is being this passive aggressive.

• Options

@amjadawgs said:
    @WCDawg, you do make some valid points, but as good of a receiving group as we currently have, I don’t think any of them, other than maybe JJ Holloman were seen as future 1st rounders for the NFL. Ridley was a 3 star recruit. Mecole and Terry, as great as they are, just lack size to be a first rounder. That being said, wherever Haselwood signs, he is expected to go first round. Blaylock, maybe. He has much better route running skills than Mecole and Godwin had when starting their careers at UGA, but still lacks size.

I don’t have the time to research the number of first round WR’s who didn’t have great stats in college, but I was basing my argument more on “non first rounders” who made a name for themselves when given an opportunity to play on Sundays. Just off the top of my head there’s this guy named Tom Brady. And another RB, can’t remember for sure where he played college ball, but 196th pick in the 1995 draft. And yet one more scrawny kid drafted at number 117th overall – Steve Largent.

But, I do think we can agree, the NFL has drastically changed the last 6 – 8 years – especially regarding WR’s. We just don’t see as many smaller guys put up stats like Largent and Wes Welker. It has become the bigger, stronger WR’s more of late. This is one reason I have lost interest in the NFL. It has become more of a “every team pretty much runs the same offense and defense” league. That’s why there are just no more dominating teams to pull for or against. The closest “dominant” team over the past few years would be the Pats, but there are far fewer “impressive” runs/wins in the NFL as in years past. I know this is a little “off subject,” but just wanted to better explain my opinion.

No doubt 6'.0'' and taller WRs are generally favored in drafts, but going back to 2012 there have been 4 WRs listed as 5'11'' taken 1st rd, Both Terry and Mecole are listed as 5'11''. There have also been 3 WRs listed as 5' 10'' and another listed as 5'8'' taken1st rd in that period of time.

• Options
    CatfishCatfish Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Terry catches the go ahead TD with 32 secs to go. Hot Rod then punches the kick off through the end zone and into the 11th row. Refs enforce a brand new "Bammer rule" and place the ball at the 50 for "kicking too far". Tuaer throws 45 yard strike to himself and scores the winning TD just to show QB2 that he had the right idea against GT. TG5 goes to Atlanta where he has a long career. Hey it's just as crazy.