Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Will anybody else be glad when Tiger retires ?...

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@VALDOSTADAWG said:

@WCDawg said:

@VALDOSTADAWG said:
    I'll be glad when this thread retires.

Why ? I don't get why posters worry about something when it's their choice to either open it or ignore it.

I'm really just joking. I just don't like having discussions with new comments left on the home page so I open it up everytime somebody comments to keep it looking clean. Keep doing you @WCDawg

You're a good egg.

• Options

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

Also, I've broken down The top players Jack had to beat to the deep but mediocre fields Tiger faced.
    The fact is Tiger's era was very weak at the top. Most of the players who finished 2nd to him in majors will be forgotten, most already have been. Jack faced Palmer, Player, Trevino, Watson and several other golfers who rate higher than any Tiger had to contend with other than Phil, and Phil didn't learn how to win till after Tiger went into decline.

You’re basically naming his top 5 or so competitors. Why? Because after that the talent significantly drops. Tiger is going against 120-156 of the top players from around the globe. Something that wasn’t happening in the 60s-70s.

Also, I guess Els, Singh, Goosen, Furyk, Harrington, etc. don’t count as good players. Know why all those legends have all those majors? Huge talent drop off after the top handful of guys. Now there’s less disparity in talent, and you’ll see a good golfer have a great tournament and never win another major (mainly due to much larger fields making the probability much tougher to repeat, making Tiger’s achievements look even crazier).

Come on, none of those players Tiger faced were in Palmer's, Player's, Trevino's or Watson's league.
    In majors the cream rises, a large field of also rans means little to nothing.

Im not trying to change your mind here, and you won’t change mine... As I started with my first comment on this debate, “just my opinion of course.” No one is right or wrong in this debate.

Opinions are like butt roast...wait, that don't seem right.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

Also, I've broken down The top players Jack had to beat to the deep but mediocre fields Tiger faced.
    The fact is Tiger's era was very weak at the top. Most of the players who finished 2nd to him in majors will be forgotten, most already have been. Jack faced Palmer, Player, Trevino, Watson and several other golfers who rate higher than any Tiger had to contend with other than Phil, and Phil didn't learn how to win till after Tiger went into decline.

You’re basically naming his top 5 or so competitors. Why? Because after that the talent significantly drops. Tiger is going against 120-156 of the top players from around the globe. Something that wasn’t happening in the 60s-70s.

Also, I guess Els, Singh, Goosen, Furyk, Harrington, etc. don’t count as good players. Know why all those legends have all those majors? Huge talent drop off after the top handful of guys. Now there’s less disparity in talent, and you’ll see a good golfer have a great tournament and never win another major (mainly due to much larger fields making the probability much tougher to repeat, making Tiger’s achievements look even crazier).

Come on, none of those players Tiger faced were in Palmer's, Player's, Trevino's or Watson's league.

I think they all were in those leagues. Tigers legendary win percentage kept them from being more successful

If that was true we would have seen a great player or 2 rise to finish 2nd and win more of the majors Tiger didn't win, that never happened because there were no other greats to rise to the top.
    It was a deep but mediocre bunch.

A lot of the guys I named earlier, that you left off as tiger’s competition, placed second many times. But hey, if you want to ignore larger/deeper fields as to why there’s no definitive top 5 list of competitors, have at it.

• Options

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

I think they all were in those leagues. Tigers legendary win percentage kept them from being more successful

If that was true we would have seen a great player or 2 rise to finish 2nd and win more of the majors Tiger didn't win, that never happened because there were no other greats to rise to the top.

A lot of the guys I named earlier, that you left off as tiger’s competition, placed second many times. But hey, if you want to ignore larger/deeper fields as to why there’s no definitive top 5 list of competitors, have at it.

That really isn't accurate, I posted a list of the players who finished 2nd to Tiger in every major he won awhile back. It is a very forgettable bunch, with a couple of exceptions.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,932 mod

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

That really isn't accurate, I posted a list of the players who finished 2nd to Tiger in every major he won awhile back. It is a very forgettable bunch, with a couple of exceptions.

And our counterpoint is that tiger made them seem forgettable.

• Options

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

Toms and most of the others were forgettable all on their own.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

Deeper fields means more random finishes. Not Arnie, Jack and Gary (and a few others) finishing top 5 over and over.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

And not many talk about Trevino much these days

• Options

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

Sure they do, at least real golf historians do.
    Here is a break down of the rank of the top 50 all time players Jack and Tiger faced when those players were in their primes.

Jack
    4 of the top 10 and 13 of the top 50

Tiger

None of the top 10 and 4 of the top 50

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

Here is a break down of the rank of the top 50 all time players Jack and Tiger faced when those players were in their primes.

Jack

Tiger

What source and criteria are you using for these rankings?

• Options

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

Jack

Tiger

I think it's a Golf Digest ranking.

If you want a ranking based on a pt system..

TAGG ranking

Jack

Tiger
    8 (Phil)

You won't find a respectable source where these things will favor Tiger.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

Jack

Tiger

I think it's a Golf Digest ranking.

If you want a ranking based on a pt system..

TAGG ranking

Jack

Tiger
    8 (Phil)

You won't find a respectable source where these things will favor Tiger.

Thanks. I was just curious...not trying to pick a fight.

• Options
    JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Tiger was great (I was rooting for him Sunday). Arnie was great, too. So were Snead and Jones and Nelson. Sarazen, Player, Hagan... all spectacular. If Tiger wins another US Open and another PGA and two more green jackets (and I won't say that's impossible) we can start the debate. Anyone can "shoulda, woulda, coulda" for 100 years, but there is one GOAT (and @WCDawg is right about this one):
    Jack Nicklaus.

• Options
    gdawg4lifegdawg4life Posts: 799 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, well...looks like Tiger still has something left