Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Colin Kapernick has become face of Nike’s new ad campaign

Comments

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2018

I’m exhausted. I propose a truce. We have all said our peace. Ironically, I bet if we all met at a bar for a beer we would all become good friends.

• Options
    jay_kubzzjay_kubzz Posts: 658 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BigDawgEatin said:

@jay_kubzz said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@jay_kubzz said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@CharlestowneDawg said:

@jay_kubzz said:
    Just some quick stats
    Cop shootings in 2017:
    457 whites were killed by cops vs 223 blacks being killed by cops.

2018:
    211 whites killed vs 102 blacks.

Another stat, not all shootings by cops are by white cops.

Another shooting stat, in the past 365 days there have been 411 black on black homicides in CHICAGO alone, just one city. Think about that, ONE CITY. More blacks have killed blacks in one US city in the past year vs country wide cops have in a year and a half.

It’s a tragedy for both sides, but don’t for a second be fooled by how bias and manipulative mainstream media are. They’re pushing a certain agenda and fail strongly to bring all the stats into light.

When adjusted for population:

According to Fatal Encounters, the database created by former Reno News & Review editor and journalism instructor Burghart (which tracks all deaths resulting from interactions with police), a total of 1,388 people were killed by police in 2015, 318 (23%) of them black, and 560 (40%) of them white. So roughly 23 percent of those killed by any police interaction in 2015 were black and just over 40 percent were white. According to those statistics (adjusted for racial demographics), black people had a 2.7 higher likelihood of being killed by police than whites.

The grim trend has carried over into 2016. Of the 1,034 people killed and tracked by Burghart’s Fatal Encounters database so far this year, 215 were black while 338 were white, **so thus far in 2016 black Americans have been three times more likely than white people to die in interactions with police. **

@jay_kubzz this is a proper presentation of data. It’s okay you didn’t know any better. Ignorance is bliss, not a jab, just a relavent phrase. @jay_kubzz Did you take statistics ion college?

No I haven’t taken statistics and never will as I’m in nursing school at the moment. There’s really no arguing with someone as close minded as yourself. You’re one of the many unfortunate brainwashed by mainstream media.

On that note, at least we can all come together and support the dawgs.

So I should be more open minded to racist rhetoric. I hope your statistics about black people don’t cause you to compromise their care. The subconscious is a powerful thing.

Racist rhetoric? Those aren’t “my” statistics, they are real statistics. I don’t have a racist cell in my body. I just personally think sitting for the national anthem is so disrespectful for those who lay their life on the line for you and I. It’s ridiculous that everything has to be about race. Out of all the patients I’ve had the privelage to care for in clinical, I’ve had the best connection with 3 whom were all black males.

If you specifically remember three black people, that just shows that you are not around that many. It’s like seeing a unicorn. Go to sleep my child, this is adults conversation. Your cultural exposure doesn’t give you the privilege to contribute at this moment. But, keep living life, hopefully you will get “cultured”. Have you ever left the country?

No in the hospital setting where I’ve only had 10 patients so far I specifically remember all my patients. I’ve had 5 blacks, 4 whites and 1 Hispanic. Just the 3 that I had the best connection with have so happened to be black.

I’m not sure why you’re trying so hard to paint me as a racist just because we have different opinions on standing for the flag.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

@pgjackson said:
    I’m exhausted. I propose a truce. We have all said our peace. Ironically, I bet if we all met at a bar we would all become good friends.

I said that also on page 2 of this thread

• Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So. As stimulating as this political debate is on a sports forum can we at least try to stick to the original post? I’ve never served nor am I a minority. So honestly it doesn’t really tear me up one way or another. It doesn’t affect my daily life. I haven’t worn Nikes since I was a kid because I personally find them rather garish and not particularly well made but to each his own. I have feet that tend to hurt so I wear new balance.

The only reason I would disagree with Nike using Kapernick in a big campaign is that he’s truly irrelevant to me. He’s not a very good football player, and if this whole thing hadn’t blown up we wouldn’t have heard from him in years. I don’t think his protest is particularly groundbreaking or well thought out. It’s not helping minorities from getting shot by cops sometimes and it’s just riling people up: he’s IMO committed the sin of trying to make himself the story. Could be the right cause and the wrong person as far as I’m concerned. You can agree with the message without having to pump up the messenger.

• Options

@Kasey said:

@pgjackson said:
    I’m exhausted. I propose a truce. We have all said our peace. Ironically, I bet if we all met at a bar we would all become good friends.

I still had some fight left in me back then.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

@pgjackson said:

@Kasey said:

@pgjackson said:

I still had some fight left in me back then.

You can read it in the morning :*

• Options
    BigDawgEatinBigDawgEatin Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2018

@jay_kubzz said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@jay_kubzz said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@jay_kubzz said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@CharlestowneDawg said:

@jay_kubzz said:
    Just some quick stats
    Cop shootings in 2017:

2018:

Another shooting stat, in the past 365 days there have been 411 black on black homicides in CHICAGO alone, just one city. Think about that, ONE CITY. More blacks have killed blacks in one US city in the past year vs country wide cops have in a year and a half.

It’s a tragedy for both sides, but don’t for a second be fooled by how bias and manipulative mainstream media are. They’re pushing a certain agenda and fail strongly to bring all the stats into light.

According to Fatal Encounters, the database created by former Reno News & Review editor and journalism instructor Burghart (which tracks all deaths resulting from interactions with police), a total of 1,388 people were killed by police in 2015, 318 (23%) of them black, and 560 (40%) of them white. So roughly 23 percent of those killed by any police interaction in 2015 were black and just over 40 percent were white. According to those statistics (adjusted for racial demographics), black people had a 2.7 higher likelihood of being killed by police than whites.

The grim trend has carried over into 2016. Of the 1,034 people killed and tracked by Burghart’s Fatal Encounters database so far this year, 215 were black while 338 were white, **so thus far in 2016 black Americans have been three times more likely than white people to die in interactions with police. **

@jay_kubzz this is a proper presentation of data. It’s okay you didn’t know any better. Ignorance is bliss, not a jab, just a relavent phrase. @jay_kubzz Did you take statistics ion college?

No I haven’t taken statistics and never will as I’m in nursing school at the moment. There’s really no arguing with someone as close minded as yourself. You’re one of the many unfortunate brainwashed by mainstream media.

So I should be more open minded to racist rhetoric. I hope your statistics about black people don’t cause you to compromise their care. The subconscious is a powerful thing.

Racist rhetoric? Those aren’t “my” statistics, they are real statistics. I don’t have a racist cell in my body. I just personally think sitting for the national anthem is so disrespectful for those who lay their life on the line for you and I. It’s ridiculous that everything has to be about race. Out of all the patients I’ve had the privelage to care for in clinical, I’ve had the best connection with 3 whom were all black males.

If you specifically remember three black people, that just shows that you are not around that many. It’s like seeing a unicorn. Go to sleep my child, this is adults conversation. Your cultural exposure doesn’t give you the privilege to contribute at this moment. But, keep living life, hopefully you will get “cultured”. Have you ever left the country?

No in the hospital setting where I’ve only had 10 patients so far I specifically remember all my patients. I’ve had 5 blacks, 4 whites and 1 Hispanic. Just the 3 that I had the best connection with have so happened to be black.

I’m not sure why you’re trying so hard to paint me as a racist just because we have different opinions on standing for the flag.

Never called you racist, you must have assumed that of yourself. I said you might need some cultural exposure. Go check all of the post where I addressed you. Got s link to that patient census? You lost my confidence when you put out those weak stats. Yet again you remember the race of all your patients that is a telling sign. Keep living life young man.

• Options

@BigDawgEatin said:

@jay_kubzz said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@jay_kubzz said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@jay_kubzz said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@CharlestowneDawg said:

@jay_kubzz said:
    Just some quick stats
    Cop shootings in 2017:

2018:

Never called you racist, you must have assumed that of yourself. I said you might need some cultural exposure. Go check all of the post where I addressed you. Got s link to that patient census? You lost my confidence when you put out those weak stats. Yet again you remember the race of all your patients that is a telling sign. Keep living life young man.

Man, once again you are looking for racism in everything. Your passive-aggressive BS is childish. You are absolutely calling people racist...but not calling people racist. It’s weak and played-out.

• Options

@pgjackson said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@jay_kubzz said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@jay_kubzz said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@jay_kubzz said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@CharlestowneDawg said:

@jay_kubzz said:
    Just some quick stats
    Cop shootings in 2017:

2018:

Man, once again you are looking for racism in everything. Your passive-aggressive BS is childish. You are absolutely calling people racist...but not calling people racist. It’s weak and played-out.

Some truce, huh. I only provided a mirror. The reflection you see is up to you. I would never set in a bar with you. I’m almost sad we enjoy the same team. Probably dap you up if we won the Natty that’s about it.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The weekend can’t get here fast enough..

• Options

@BigDawgEatin said:

@pgjackson said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@jay_kubzz said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@jay_kubzz said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@jay_kubzz said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@CharlestowneDawg said:

@jay_kubzz said:
    Just some quick stats
    Cop shootings in 2017:

2018:

Some truce, huh. I only provided a mirror. The reflection you see is up to you. I would never set in a bar with you. I’m almost sad we enjoy the same team. Probably dap you up if we won the Natty that’s about it.

What mirror? All you did was play “gotcha” and try to make the case that white people are racist. You see racism in everything. You are a judgmental race-baiter. It’s kind of sad you have determined I’m also a racist. You wouldn’t even have a beer with me. Anyone who disagrees with you is a racist. That is what you have done this whole thread.

By the way, I support Kap’s right to protest and his cause.I just don’t approve of his methods.

• Options
    ReeldawgReeldawg Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I respect everyone’s personal opinions on both side of the aisle.

My personal belief -

It’s a free market.

• Options

@pgjackson said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@pgjackson said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@jay_kubzz said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@jay_kubzz said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@jay_kubzz said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@CharlestowneDawg said:

@jay_kubzz said:
    Just some quick stats
    Cop shootings in 2017:

2018:

What mirror? All you did was play “gotcha” and try to make the case that white people are racist. You see racism in everything. You are a judgmental race-baiter. It’s kind of sad you have determined I’m also a racist. You wouldn’t even have a beer with me. Anyone who disagrees with you is a racist. That is what you have done this whole thread.

By the way, I support Kap’s right to protest and his cause.I just don’t approve of his methods.

Show me where I personally called you a racist. I would have pretzels with you. You have no empathy for anyone who you don’t “approve” of . Sad to know Dawg fans like you exist.

• Options
    Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Anyone need a cookie?

• Options
    greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    sidney30sidney30 Posts: 48 ✭✭ Sophomore

Military does not own the flag

• Options
    EastAtlDawgEastAtlDawg Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I thought we already talked about this in the offseason keep politics away during the season. I am a black man and Kapernick is my hero that doesn’t mean people who serve my country aren’t my hero’s.And to hear the opposite opinion really makes me feel a type of way.I come here to talk UGA football especially during the season.If I wanted to talk politics I would be on a CNN board.Please no more topics of this especially during the season of these debates.

• Options
    umoonerumooner Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wish I could kill this thread so much

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@jt200 said:
    Speaking as a young black male id rather not comment on the topic of anything political or racial here can we keep it strictly football this whole post basically almost made me not wanna come back

I see you haven't been here long. Better buckle that seat belt. This is not uncommon.