Home Basketball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Did Dallas just scam The Hawks in their trade for Porzingis ?..

WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
edited January 2019 in Basketball

They sent a very good young PG and a rebounding beast of a center to The Knicks for Porzingis. Porzingis has an ACL injury that should not affect him long term, but might limit him much of this season. So let's assume they tank, keep their top 6 protected draft pick which would otherwise go to The Hawks. That would leave them with a healthy Porzingis, Doncic, a top 6 rookie and a pretty good support roster next season, which would likely stick Atlanta with a mid to late 1st rd player in next year's draft instead of the lottery pick this season.

We just got stiffed in my opinion.

Comments

• HereSoIWontGetFinedHereSoIWontGetFined Posts: 45 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited January 2019

That’s some haul for a big coming off a knee injury. I’m a fan of the zinger but smith Mathews and Jordan are solid players. Wonder if the knicks play them at all or just commit to picking 1.

Mavs will tank but other teams are tanking too. Should be interesting. I say they win less than 12 games the rest of the year though.

Hawks could do a better job of tanking if you ask me. 0 stars on the team and they are winning games. Suns cavs and bulls are not as bad as their record says. They are not shy about their tanking.

NBA purgatory is no place to be. We should have committed to tanking early so that we could get a Zion or Barret to get some excitement around the hawks. I thought luka was going to be that guy.

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:
    They sent a very good young PG and a rebounding beast of a center to The Knicks for Porzingis. Porzingis has an ACL injury that should not affect him long term, but might limit him much of this season. So let's assume they tank, keep their top 6 protected draft pick which would otherwise go to The Hawks. That would leave them with a healthy Porzingis, Doncic, a top 6 rookie and a pretty good support roster next season, which would likely stick Atlanta with a mid to late 1st rd player in next year's draft instead of the lottery pick this season.

Each year there is less protection. After 3 years I believe it is unprotected. They are betting that they will be better in a few years (no guarantee in the west though)

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

Looks like everyone is "not tryin' for Zion" this spring

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2019

I’d be happy if Hawks could land Ja Morant, he would be fun to watch.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@HereSoIWontGetFined said:
    That’s some haul for a big coming off a knee injury. I’m a fan of the zinger but smith Mathews and Jordan are solid players. Wonder if the knicks play them at all or just commit to picking 1.

Mavs will tank but other teams are tanking too. Should be interesting. I say they win less than 12 games the rest of the year though.

Hawks could do a better job of tanking if you ask me. 0 stars on the team and they are winning games. Suns cavs and bulls are not as bad as their record says. They are not shy about their tanking.

NBA purgatory is no place to be. We should have committed to tanking early so that we could get a Zion or Barret to get some excitement around the hawks. I thought luka was going to be that guy.

Dallas will have to literally sit on the court for much of the season to out tank Phoenix, Cleveland is just plain awful, they don't need to tank to contend for the top pick.

@bmauldin said:

@WCDawg said:

Each year there is less protection. After 3 years I believe it is unprotected. They are betting that they will be better in a few years (no guarantee in the west though)

Dallas is betting they'll get better, not worse, which would make the pick Atlanta eventually gets less valuable, I think they are correct. This year would be our best shot at a top 10 pick.

Doncic didn't play a minute in the first half of tonight's game, yep, Dallas is tanking already in an effect to land a top 5 pick.

@WCDawg said:

@bmauldin said:

@WCDawg said:

Dallas is betting they'll get better, not worse, which would make the pick Atlanta eventually gets less valuable, I think they are correct. This year would be our best shot at a top 10 pick.

One player in the top 5 of this draft and Dallas will be a force next year. That pick isn't going to be any better than 13 after the 2019 draft

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@bmauldin said:

@WCDawg said:

One player in the top 5 of this draft and Dallas will be a force next year. That pick isn't going to be any better than 13 after the 2019 draft

It's legal thievery.

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Unless they sit Doncic for literally the rest of the season, they're winning at least 10 more games. And if they sit Doncic for the rest of the season, they're going to get penalties from Adam Silver for making their tanking obvious.

They might even need to sit more players, they're actually leading vs Detroit anyway.

@GeorgiaGirl said:
    Unless they sit Doncic for literally the rest of the season, they're winning at least 10 more games. And if they sit Doncic for the rest of the season, they're going to get penalties from Adam Silver for making their tanking obvious.

They might even need to sit more players, they're actually leading vs Detroit anyway.

They gave away a lot to The Knicks in Smith and Jordan. Still, 10 more games might be about right. They will have to completely roll over to have any shot at #1, my guess is their goal is any top5 position, which would allow them to keep the pick.

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@bmauldin said:

@WCDawg said:

It's legal thievery.

Also smart. If Porzingis bounces back, Doncic gets better, and they get a stud in this draft...they're set the next ten plus years.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2019

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@bmauldin said:

@WCDawg said:

It's legal thievery.

Also smart. If Porzingis bounces back, Doncic gets better, and they get a stud in this draft...they're set the next ten plus years.

how does this impact our protected draft pick ?

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Folks think they're going to try really hard to tank. IMO, they're still likely to win too many for it to be a major risk, unless they try blatantly.

• PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@GeorgiaGirl said:
    Folks think they're going to try really hard to tank. IMO, they're still likely to win too many for it to be a major risk, unless they try blatantly.

I agree with this. They would have to be really bad the rest of the way. Like 6-24 or 5-25 bad. Unless they're sitting Doncic for entire weeks at a time I don't see them losing that much if for no other reason than there are several other teams out there trying to do a similar thing. This may yet work out just right for the Hawks. Will all come down to the bounce of the ping pong balls.

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PTDawg said:

@GeorgiaGirl said:

I agree with this. They would have to be really bad the rest of the way. Like 6-24 or 5-25 bad. Unless they're sitting Doncic for entire weeks at a time I don't see them losing that much if for no other reason than there are several other teams out there trying to do a similar thing. This may yet work out just right for the Hawks. Will all come down to the bounce of the ping pong balls.

And karma...

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Nothing to see here. The Hawks hold the 5th worst record and are solidly in control of the Maverick’s pick. The only thing Dallas did is improve the Hawks draft chances by making the Knicks better and improve the pick that goes to the Hawks. The Mavs don’t care if the pick they give is a 6th or 16th. They just took advantage of the chance to get Porzingus. The Mavs are going for an all-white eurotrash team.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@bmauldin said:

@PTDawg said:

@GeorgiaGirl said:

And karma...

she is apparently a very patient lady...

• RedBlackDawgRedBlackDawg Posts: 354 ✭✭✭ Junior

Wait, what? Atlanta has a NBA basketball team???

• PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So what's the ideal/realistic outcome for the Hawks here? Their season goes as planned and come away with the roughly the 3rd or 4th pick and then Dallas sends them their 6th or 7th pick?