Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Braves Line-Up

SouthGA_DawgSouthGA_Dawg Posts: 227 ✭✭✭ Junior

Line-up if I was Manager/Lineup Prediction

1- Ronald Acuna(Both) 2-Ozzie/ Donaldson. 3-Freeman(Both). 4-Donaldson/Markakis. 5-Markakis/Ozzie. 6-Ender(Both). 7-Catcher(Both). 8-Dansby

Whats yalls lineup?

Comments

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hope Camargo is given every opportunity to beat out Swanson for a starting position.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'd like someone step up their OBP and take over the lead off spot and move Acuna down at least one spot.

• SouthGA_DawgSouthGA_Dawg Posts: 227 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 2019

I would let Acuna bat second with freeman and Donaldson following if inciarte or Albies can lead off and get on base enough for the 3 monsters that would follow them

Albies is very overrated as a hitter by some fans. He'll have to get on base at a higher rate to be much of a plus on offense.

• corai3corai3 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He had an incredible start last year and fizzled as the year went on. He has to have a better pitch selection.

• TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree, he's young enough to make an improvement especially with OBP, I hope.

corai3. I think Ozzie's brief career as an heir to Babe Ruth's legacy led to him loading up and swinging for long ball glory on every pitch. I've seen many hitters get infatuated with going deep. Some times they readjust, some times it ruins them for polite company.

• TheSmartWayTheSmartWay Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Chances of a breakout year for Dansby?

TheSmartWay. Swanson has terrible pitch recognition, at least he's very slow to recognize them. I think he is very close to being a bust. I'd give Camargo every chance to take the starting role.

• georgiaboygeorgiaboy Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    1. Inciarte
    2. Acuna
    3. Freeman
    4. Donaldson
    5. Markakis
    6. Albies
    7. Flowers
    8. Swanson
    9. Pitcher

If Swanson busts:

1. Inciarte
    2. Acuna
    3. Freeman
    4. Donaldson
    5. Markakis
    6. Camargo
    7. Albies
    8. Flowers
    9. Pitcher
  • GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not that I agree with it, but the most likely OD lineup is:

1. Inciarte
    2. Donaldson (supposedly absolutely locked at #2, and I think it's a mistake)
    3. Freeman
    4. Acuna
    5. Markakis
    6. Albies
    7. Flowers
    8. Swanson

Inciarte even if he bounces back at leadoff is a mistake, even if he bats .300 he's an average hitter because he doesn't have much power. Yes, newfangled analytics calls him an average hitter.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2019
    1. Inciarte (hopefully he returns to 2017 form)
    2. Acuna
    3. Freeman
    4. Donaldson
    5. Markakis
    6. Camargo
    7. Albies
    8. Flowers/McCann

Depending on who's hot or who's pitching, Donaldson, Camargo, Markakis and Albies can all be switched around. I think Swanson's ship has sailed, hopefully I'm wrong, but Camargo seems to be an all around better player at this point.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

most important for a leadoff hitter should be OBP and/or runs scored

Teddy. I'll be shocked if FF hits anywhere other than 4th.

GeorgiaGirl. Power is way down my list of desired attributes at leadoff, though it's a very good bonus if my other attributes are met.

1. OBP

2.Base running ability

3.Situational bat control

4.Slugging %

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ender even at his best is an average offensive player by the new analytics. I think of his defense, normally smart baserunning, and his energy before offense.

A 98-100 wRC+ is average. And that's what he puts up.

I think you meant 3rd, right? Just realized I flipped those guys when I was making edits to my lineup. Edited my post and switched Acuna and Freeman. There's a lot of different ways you can go with this lineup, since there's so many batters that have similar OBP and HR numbers.

Teddy. No, I expect FF to hit cleanup.

How I see a lineup.

1.Get on base at a high rate .Be a good baserunner.

2.Make consistently good contact. Have some pop, doubles will do just fine.

3.A good blend of power and OBP

4.Bring em home, your best combination of power and contact.

5.Similar to the 3 spot.

6.Best available hitter.

7.Best available hitter.

8.Best available hitter.

edited February 2019

Here's a good article about building your lineup. Goes over the old-school way versus the newer way with metrics (albeit this is a 2009 article, it does take the advanced metrics at that time into account). Most surprising piece is that it says your #3 hitter should be your fifth best batter in the lineup. Especially due to how many times over the course of the season they will bat with two outs and nobody on base.

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2009/3/17/795946/optimizing-your-lineup-by