Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Could student loan “reform” wreck college athletics?

Comments

• GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Free post-secondary education for a period of time is the reason California has a good economy.... rrrriiiiiiiiiigggghhhhht.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

In 1940 the ratio of adult Americans with a college education was roughly 1 in 20, today it's 1 in 3. It doesn't take a college degree to understand education aids economic expansion in a tech driven market. Absolutely California's more educated population was a factor in it's becoming one of the largest economies in the world, larger than most entire countries.

• GeoffDawgGeoffDawg Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If we have more liberal arts degrees than the market will support now, how will that look when we have free college tuition in the field of study of their choice?

Are we moving towards a barista-based economy?

On a related but ancillary note, as a society, we need to de-stigmatize trade work and re-integrate it into primary education. Which would we rather have? HS graduates at 18 with marketable skills and a career path or College graduates at 22 with no marketable skills and a mountain of debt (whether that's absorbed by the student or by the tax-payer) which will do nothing but continue to escalate based on the rising demand in "free" college education?

• DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

How many scholarships go unrewarded because people just don't either know to look and apply for them or are just too lazy to apply for them? My son and I have a plan in place to start looking for any and all scholarships that he will qualify for and we plan to apply. I don't care if the scholarship is on for $250. That $250 that I don't have to pay and he doesn't have to take out a loan. I'll take a second job if I have to and he will take a job to help cover the costs. There is no way we will rely on student loans alone to pay for his higher education.

Geoffdawg. I couldn't agree more in the need to take pride in actual work again. We've become very lazy and even snobbish as a society. There was always pride in building things in the past.

Is there a resource you look at for available scholarships beyond HOPE? My daughter's only 7 and I have a 529b plan started for her but it'd be nice to use that money for other things if possible.

FYI. California's 3 trillion dollar GDP would rank 5th in the world if it was a nation.

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well I see our resident class warfare member (WC Dawg) is giving us his $.02 of social justice tips and comparing apples to automobiles while he's at it.

C_F. there I go again, making personal comments to lead this thread down a bad path.

Posters take note. at 12:24 pm June 25th F_C fired the first shot.

Well, I wouldn't agree that I'm not doing "actual" work. If not, then all this stress related indigestion and insomnia is for nothing.

In any case, we need to value work period. If it has merit and fills a need, it's honorable regardless if it's behind a desk, on a construction site, or in a manufacturing plant.

edited June 2019

By work I mean the type that builds and produces things. That is what tech and trade schools are meant to turn out people who do the ''work'', of course we need people to manage things as well.

We don't have a shortage of managers though, we do have a shortage of skilled technicians.

Absolutely which is why it's a great time to become a skilled tradesman. There's a lot of money to be made, especially for those with an entrepreneurial bent.

I have a friend from High School, one of the smartest people I grew up with and despite going to tech, still a good guy. Instead of going into engineering, he elected to become an electrician and then start his own business. He's making a killing and probably doubles the salary of the typical corporate manager.

• Raiderbeater1Raiderbeater1 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    The “We should do what Cali does because their economy” argument. 

Hmmmm....I wonder why the most famous state of the union with the largest population, the most international companies and the highest cost of living and tax rate would make the most money? What a mystery! 
    edited June 2019

I don't recall anybody saying we should do what Cali does. I'm Sorry if supplying real world facts offends some posters. FYI Cal was far from the state it became when it first implemented free college for all qualifying residents of the state. The cart didn't come before the horse.

• Dawgsince76Dawgsince76 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate