Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

COVID-19 Check-in

Comments

• Options
    Tdub0199Tdub0199 Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2020

We will start back to work this coming Monday with very strict rules. Went to be trained today.... just incase anyone would like a UGA Gaiter scarf... I just pre--ordered two for my wife and I as we will be required to wear a face mask of some sort while at work for the near foreseeable future. Looks like they'll ship sometime in May. Welcome to the new normal!!! Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep. Its rough. Its real. And it ain't going away. We've got to figure out a way to press forward as safely as possible.

• Options
    CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Where are you located? The shelter-in-place definitely differs from state to state.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I only leave the house to walk in the sub-division. Today makes day 30 since I have gone anywhere outside other than walking 4-5 miles per day.

• Options

I'm in middle Georgia. My folks are in the San Francisco Bay Area. Got family in Colorado, Oregon, Washington, and North Carolina. Friends in several other states. On a family zoom meeting the topic came up. My brother and his wife were surprised to hear so much activity was still going on since they had been couped up and had only been watching the news. Having been required to keep going to work this entire time, and not being a news watcher, my perception was completely different than his. While commercial activity has clearly lightened up, it hasn't been a ghost town. I still have to deal with idiots on the road, and my Dad who commutes into Oakland, CA has had a similar experience as me.

I was curious what others here had noticed/not noticed. Reading some of these posts it sounds like some are in nearly complete isolation. I don't think that is the case for most people. I don't know if that is a good or bad thing. Just an observation.

• Options
    Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm in Ware County GA and my family is in complete isolation, has been since the beginning of March. Went to walmart for groceries 4 times. Lowes and pharmacy once. That's it so far.

• Options
    SupraSupra Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

This is a good listen on economy vs. shutdowns. Interviews w/ economists who have been running these numbers. They suggest right now the economic cost of 1-2 million deaths farrrrrrr outweighs the shutdowns.

But they also say, at a point, we’re going to have to reopen. Think it gives a pretty broad perspective, and accounts for the economic damage that would still be happening even if we do open up (I know I’m not going to a bar, sporting event, restaurant soon, even if they are open).

• Options
    deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 1,595 mod

I'm still required to come in to work everyday and traffic for the most part is better then it was but their are people biking and walking all over the place. Just out enjoying the spring weather. The commissary/grocery store is worse then I have ever seen it. You used to be able to get in and out as long as you avoided certain time periods like payday and after church but now it doesn't matter what time or day you go the lines are nuts. They also imposed limited hours at our BX/Walmart on base but I think its only making things worse. We are now forcing people to go during reduced hours but the number of customers hasn't eased so the effect is more people in the store at one time versus when the hours were spread out. Longer lines and crowded aisles doesn't seem to effective for social distancing. Its a unique situation out here as there are only a couple options for us to buy US goods but I imagine this is what small towns in America are like that have limited options. Also the post office is pretty much a no go for me. It **** before but now its impossible not to wait forever to pick up packages. I really question the limited hours decision. Just forcing the same amount of people to come in at the same time.

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,130 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'd be interested in hearing the rationale behind that decision. Seems obvious demand for essential services wouldn't decrease

• Options
    dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,181 mod
    edited April 2020

On base commissary here running same hours as usual, limiting number of people to 30% of capacity and now both the commissary and exchange require a face mask for entry which they do not provide. Out side of base is limited hours, certain hours for seniors, high risk and first responders/medical, limited to 5% of capacity, Sam's Club allows 188 people in at a time.

• Options
    MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2020

We're in that group that experienced minor symptoms. My wife experienced shortness of breath for a few days. Scary time for her, but thankfully, didn't get worse. Similarly, my symptoms were minor. I felt "woozy" for about five days with two brief periods of fever 99.2 - 99.6

My wife was a former nursing student lacking just one class to complete her degree. She has taken great exception to the treatment of "100% oxygen". She feels that it causes permanent damage to the alveoli.

Perhaps this treatment is used primarily as a last resort. I'd be interested in hearing opinions from our medical professionals on the use of 100% oxygen.

• Options
    GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Debated about posting a little about our experience but decided I will...

We've been doing fine, and I think most people that I know, even if I do just a little have as well. The closest I am to any positive cases as far as I know (although my county does have a fair amount) is a nearby church that I think is just past the county line (though if we were going to church we'd be going to the one that's down the road and not past the line...not giving much detail to try to keep my location mostly anonymous).

I "might" have heard an ambulance once on this road that may or may not have been taking a patient that has problems with this virus to the hospital, but that's not something I can prove. The next siren that I believe I heard was the tornado siren earlier this week (and a tornado did get too close for comfort).

Honestly our life hasn't changed a lot, but that's because my parents were forced to retire several years ago not long after I was born (my mom suddenly became disabled) and I failed to land a job after finishing up a program at a legit technical school (which has led to me probably heading back for something else, which may or may not help). We did have to change some plans though and my parents can't go to the gym anymore.

My parents still go out twice a week to stores to buy food and it's been getting less bad by the week with food seemingly, we never really "stocked up" much to plan on staying hidden away for a very long time and have pretty well gotten away with it. Toilet paper has remained awful for several weeks, and if dad didn't receive a tip from a nearby store of when they get their delivery, we would not be getting toilet paper.

• Options

That's what I imagined shelter in place would be like, but it hasnt been the reality of my experience. Sure there has been less activity going on when I'm out, but not everybody is treating the situation how you are. Not even close. I'm unsure what to think of that. The virus has clearly started slowing down, but will we ever be able to fully contain it without 100% compliance?

I certainly don't feel guilty for not being more hard core shelter-in-place. I dont have the option to work from home and I'm not being careless when I am out. In fact, I think the precautions I'm taking are very compatible with further opening the economy. I could sustain my current lifestyle for months and I think anybody could. An attitude of essential vs non essential is the incorrect philosophy. It should be safe vs unsafe. We know what is risky and what is not. Much more productivity could be achieved if the lens were changed on what is acceptable.

• Options
    texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Texas schools officially done for the year.

My kids are bummed out.

• Options
    razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Our governor made the same call yesterday on in-class learning for the remainder of the school year and my senior daughter was in tears...hopefully this serves as a touchstone moment that this entire class nation-wide can look back on throughout their life and leverage it as a reference point for any future challenge or adversity that life will send their way.

ie - "remember when they cancelled my Senior year, graduation, prom, etc...I'll get through this, too"

This discussion has been closed.