Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

COVID-19 Check-in

Comments

• Options
    DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You in Georgia? I found it odd that cases between 12 and 6 or so seemed as if it really slowed yesterday. It might be for weekend purposes though (slower testing). We'll see, comparing this coming Monday's numbers to last Monday's total will be interesting.

I think the actual state of emergency Georgia's under ends May 13th as of today. Shelter in place right now is until the end of the month, but I'm thinking it might get extended two more weeks. Then I think they're going to attempt to facilitate a move toward the phase stages...now if we want to we can have these theories running around in our minds on if they're purposely not testing enough to slow things down.

But really I'm hoping about a month is enough for Georgia's major hospitals with at least the faster testing. They're doing a good job there.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For those who didn't click on the link, it reveals that at least 75% of the CV-19 fatalities in NYC involve people with serious pre-existing conditions, like diabetes, lung disease, or cancer. 5891 people out of 7890 cases.

Only 0.5% of fatalities involved someone who was confirmed to have no pre-existing condition. 42 people out of 7890 cases.

The third category, as you noted, are the "unknowns." 1957 people out of 7890 cases.

All of the data is interesting. I hope folks will review it for themselves and draw their own conclusions.

• Options
    UGA_2019UGA_2019 Posts: 157 ✭✭✭ Junior

Glad to see you back here once again misrepresenting or misunderstanding simple facts.

It's funny how those who are the most confident are often those who know the least about what they're talking about. 2.2 trillion dollars went towards saving 2 million lives? No. Simply 100% wrong. Please do some research before spouting off about something you clearly know nothing about.

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Doing good here. Hope the same for everyone else.

Be safe everyone, and of course...

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DAWGS!

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am on the opposite side of this but 100% agree with your need to meet in the middle.

I haven't seen this mentioned before but one thing to consider is the impact that businesses will have on the demand for virus testing, masks and other PPE for employees. These resources are already inadequate to meet the needs of essential workers and patients. How many more nurses and doctors have to die.

I too think we will have to reopen somewhat before a vaccine is developed but the Federal government needs to use it's unique powers under DPA to first obtain sufficient quantities of those items necessary first to protect all front line workers and secondly to fulfill business needs.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For those interested I have been tracking the information below daily.

The 11 states tally 80%+/- of the cases and deaths to date. The number of tests in Ca, Tx and Ga are way too low to justify opening up IMO. Anything below 1000/100k means less than 1% of the states population have been tested. The "Invisible" enemy can only been detected through testing.

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,042 mod

Also if anyone is interested, this is the link to the GA DOPH Covid-19 Dailey Status Report. It's updated daily at noon and 7 pm. Has some pretty good stats and graphs for Georgia..

• Options
    razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

no refunds on prom dresses definitely adding insult to injury 😆

• Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well Said. It's okay to have different opinions. I worry our country is becoming intolerant of diversity of thought. I value what has been said by everyone in this thread even if it's not how I see things.

• Options
    pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yep, and the other thing people fail to grasp is that the point of this exercise was never to prevent infections. The goal was to slow the incidence rate so that Hospitals wouldn’t be overwhelmed. Without a vaccine, the same number of infections will still occur after we reopen. Medicine now appears better equipped, with several promising treatments and more ventilators for the sick.

I don’t know the answers, but I do know hospitals all over the country are empty and laying off medical workers due to lack of business. Odd.

• Options
    pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Hospitals all over the country are laying off workers"? **** are you talking about. You're very big on "examples". Care to share even one?

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2020

That actually is happening. It's not from being empty though. They're running out of money in some places

Edit: hospitals have stopped doing elective procedures to limit spread of COVID. Elective procedures are where hospitals make a good portion of their money, so they are having to layoff and furlough workers in a lot of places from lack of revenue. Even hospitals with lots of Covid patients are struggling financially since they lose about $3000 per patient.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sure, wise guy. My niece is a nurse at a hospital in Chattanooga. Her hours have been reduced to about 20 per week. They are DEAD. Empty beds all over the place. A VA nurse shared with me that they were also at less than capacity. I have a friend who works in organ donations here in Atlanta. She shared with me that the affected cities, like Atlanta, are pretty full. Different story everywhere else. Another buddy is married to nurse anesthetist. She is barely working. I had a customer yesterday who is in medical sales. I spoke to her about this issue and she confirmed - hospitals outside of the affected big cities are dead and cutting labor. Maybe watch less CNN and MSNBC.

This discussion has been closed.