Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

COVID-19 Check-in

Comments

• Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Crazy read - and again shows how much we really don't know yet (and may not know for a while).

A PE ain't no joke (I have been through that - thanks to a knee surgery), and they can turn a docile situation into critical almost immediately.

• GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Comparing COVID-19 to WWII seems a little much, no? In WWII we knew what our enemy was, we knew we had to crank out war machines, and we won by shear force. None of that applies to COVID-19. Hell, we don't even know what exactly it is we are fighting, and while it is certainly deserving of our attention and focus it isn't even close to being on the scale of a world war. Every major model has dialed back their projections. Not to say there isn't a significant threat posed by the virus, just that it isn't proving to be the worst-case scenario in those models. As more data becomes available, better plans of action will evolve, and more "buy-in" will come. It is perfectly reasonable for manufacturers to be hesitant about converting their factories to mask making based on the shaky information available at this time. Americans aren't sheep (not most of us anyway). We need to be reasoned with. We need not be told masks don't help one week and told everyone should be wearing a mask the next. That shitt doesn't inspire confidence and it doesn't deserve "buy-in." Once a clear path to beating this thing reveal's itself, I have no doubt our country will rise to the occasion.

• CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bro, we've had a clear idea of what steps need to be undertaken to handle this thing for a long time now. This conversation is about testing, not masks, and the consensus from nearly every health expert, including some vocal members of the coronavirus task force, is that we must have ample and robust testing before we can get back to normal. We cannot afford for manufacturers to be hesitant. We already punted away February.

As for the scale of this compared to WWII, I agree with you. This isn't global war. But nobody is asking America to convert its economy to wartime production. We aren't asking all of the women to work in the factories because the men are in Germany and North Africa. We need to find companies who can produce materials, and find companies that can scale their production of testing materials to hit the kind of testing benchmarks being discussed. None of this is unreasonable. The broader point being made by some folks on here is that difficulty in getting something done should not mean we complain about how hard it is.

• texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,571 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2020

We have had a clear idea of what steps need to be undertaken to handle this thing for a long time now? Really? A clear idea?

Seems like we are learning something different everyday.

Who punted away February? There were certainly "experts" advising on this thing ......but in reality.....what did they really know? How accurate have all the models turned out to be? They change weekly and sometimes daily based on new information.

And who is complaining how hard this is?

I find it difficult to make statements about how this should have been done....and what mistakes are being made and have been made.

As far as I know.....everyone on Dawgnation is just offering opinions based on what media sources they choose to listen to.

Seems to me the response of the American people and the government.....for the most part....has been exceptional.

Seems unrealistic to expect no mistakes on something that has never ever occured before. Especially considering all the false data that our "experts" were dealing with the first few weeks.

• YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@CaliforniaDawg wrote a novel on the response timeline several pages back so I won't rehash that. @CTDawg is talking about testing. For any viral outbreak testing is key to containing it, and we have lagged on that.

I won't argue that testing has been lagging.....what I question is how is it reasonably expected for the US to be capable of testing the numbers that have been suggested....in such a short amount of time.

The response to this horrible virus has been incredible......if not.....the death rate would resemble what the models first suggested.

Either the response was great or the virus isn't as serious as first expected. And it certainly seems that this virus is every bit as bad as first expected.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2020

If it had been done in January as Germany and South Korea did, it wouldn't be such a monumental problem today. It is far easier to track 750 cases than 750,000!

BTW Texas still has a limited amount of time (2-3 weeks) to prevent the virus from reaching critical mass but I fear politics will prevent them from doing so.

• GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You'll have to forgive me. I didn't realize the latest political agenda was to blast the Trump administration for lack of testing/being slow to react. You see, I don't watch cable news. I don't care to follow politics. I am interested in the virus and how this complex problem is being handled, but I'm not looking to place blame anywhere. Never mind the many directions fingers may be pointed. Please proceed to discuss this with others if you prefer.

Honest question......where can someone find unbiased reporting on this pandemic? Does it exist?

I don't think so.

All a person can do is watch different points of view and then vet it the best of their ability.

But there is no question......there is definitely two specific camps in this pandemic argument.

I've come the point that anyone who strongly argues one point of view......regardless which camp they are coming from......as if that is absolutely the correct answer......has no idea what they are talking about.

And I mean no disrespect to members on this

• CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The American people, in large majority, have done their jobs during this outbreak. We should be proud of that. I agree that tripling testing in a short period of time is likely impossible, but my general point was hitting back at some earlier posts that appeared, at least to me, to suggest that the difficulty of the task absolved the government from any criticism if they failed to act swiftly.

The contamination of some of the CDC-produced test kits is really painful in mid-April. Those were extremely valuable to limiting the early spread. That's not a criticism, because in general the CDC hasn't had historical issues with this, but it definitely hurts now.

If what had been done in January?

Shelter in place? Having companies transition from making **** to making hand sanitizer?

What exactly should have been done?

Yes.....this is obviously a difficult task to pull off. Impossible to get right at a speed necessary to save many of those that died.....but getting up to speed quickly should certainly be the expectation of a country as powerful as we are.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2020

Order PPE for health workers and develop and produce a working test (or purchase the WHO one). At the end of January the Feds were advised to limit travel from Europe (Azar) and even though I don't fault them for not banning travel they should have been more focused on NY and been ready to implement the "Pandemic Playbook" as the virus first appeared there.

SK did not have to shelter in place as they tests and contact tracing plans before they had their first case.

This is a difficult subject with differing opinions.

Although I have yet to receive a DV today on this subject.....I'm sure it's coming... some on here that I don't particularly agree with have received some DVs.

If you disagree with someone.....state your case.

This isn't a topic that needs to be DVd.

Especially the DVing policy of not seeing who did the DV. It just seems cowardly.

• DestinDawgDestinDawg Posts: 636 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

State of Ga open for business—-Movie theaters and dine in restaurants will re-open 4/27

Holding in service church services is now allowed but must maintain social distancing.

Overall, state shelter in place is still in place until 4/30.

Fair enough. I have just had a problem with DVing especially since people can't see who did the DV any more.

But that is simply my opinion. Doesn't make me right.

This discussion has been closed.