Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

COVID-19 Check-in

Comments

• Options
    mdpuck13mdpuck13 Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited April 2020

Four elementary age children all doing the "home school" thing and you're both still working? That exhausts me just thinking about it.

My wife and I are both working from home with two young kids (1 and 3). I try not to complain about it because I recognize that there are a lot of people who are being affected by this virus in ways far worse than us, but man it's difficult trying to keep two young toddlers entertained and out of trouble while still being semi-productive at work.

So yea...if you're wife is keeping four stir-crazy kids on task with their school while also serving as an R.N....she's definitely a saint and a very strong woman. Take care of her and get her a nice gift once this is all over!

• Options
    DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2020

Agreed. I have been wondering if the fatalities in NY would have been less if the bar for hospitalization had not been so high due to shortage of beds/testing! Would earlier treatment with antivirals may have saved some lives?

The column in green is the deaths as at yesterday as a % of cases as at 10 days prior to account for lag.

• Options

Hope this is clearer

• Options
    razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

According to these results, Remdesivir might have made a difference in preventing some patients from progressing to severe/critical

Dr. Scott Gottlieb, shortly after the Gilead news was released, described remdesivir as “part of a better toolbox” for dealing with the coronavirus. But he said on CNBC’s “Squawk Box” that it’s “not a home run, a cure by any means.”

“It’s not going to be a cure, but it is going to be a drug potentially that if you use it particularly early in the course of the disease ... it could reduce their chances of having a really bad outcome,” he said.

• Options
    dradcliffdradcliff Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Why are mask not required everywhere in public? This virus is spread be by fluid from the mouth. If everyone wears a mask, then whether or not I catch it has to do with how good I am with washing my hands or touching my face.

If everyone does not cover their face then my only choice is to stay isolated.

Anyone without a mask in public should be given a citation and a mask. The first time could be a warning, then increasing fines, the possible jail time for putting the public at risk.

The only exceptions should be when eating or drinking. Place with indoor eating and drinking should have warning signs stating the their location is unsafe. When eating outside people should be 15 feet apart unless they live in the same house.

The only way we can safely go out in public is if others cover their faces. The only way that will happen is if it is required with some type of consequence for noncompliance.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Renal failure. And I'd really like to know why because it doesn't seem to be related to shock.

• Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A month ago we were told masks don't help. Now they should be mandated? Scientifically, how did we go from one extreme to the other?

I'm pretty sure the science is so premature that any strong stance like this is either based in emotion or politics. You daamn well better not mandate something on me based on either of those.

• Options

When walking outside I follow a 20 foot rule as a 10mph wind = air travelling at 14 feet per second. 6 feet is too close in those conditions.

• Options
    pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Govt. overreach./s. Agree with you. If everyone wore a mask and practiced social distancing we'd get out this a lot quicker.(disclaimer: not a doctor) And it's a hell of a lot better than being shut up at home

• Options

They lied so that the public would not buy all the mask that medical workers need. They only offer a small amount of perfection to me, so that was not a lie. Covering the face does however stop spray into the air from sneezing, coughing, or t .alking. If it is not in the air then I can only catch by touching something that the virus is on then touching my face. I can the learn to not touch my face, and adjust to washing my hands. I can not controll what is in the air. I do not believe covering my face will help if someone sneezes or coughs near by.

• Options

That's why I would start with a warning, then fines along with giving them a mask. You could add educational component.

• Options
    pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kidney cells express a lot of ACE2 which is the receptor the virus uses to enter cells.

• Options
    dragonslayerdragonslayer Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I am not aware of any in patients that did not have severe pneumonia (viral). Given that patients are (in general) not responding well to ARDS treatment, and some respected authorities are pointing to some features of HAPE, I'm not ready to characterize as [typical] ARDS. However, to my knowledge, no one is looking yet at mild, moderate, or asymptomatic infections for permanent impairments as a result of SARS-Co2 infection. I think it's a good question and should be investigated eventually.

Organ impairment is generally believed to be a result of the extremely low and sustained oxygen saturation these patients have suffered.

It's true that most masks are not effective for preventing infection for the wearer; however, they do deflect and absorb secretions FROM the wearer, thus help prevent transmission. Therefore, if everyone wears them they have an effect on the rate of infection.

• Options
    RedDawgRedDawg Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dradcliff I get the mask thing, but it should be up to individuals whether they comply or not...so if a business wants to post a rule saying they wont serve you/you cannot enter the store without a mask then that is their decision. but if someone is hiking on a trail/sitting in a beach chair trying to not get a mask tan, then arresting/fining them is ludicrous . Rules should not be generalized as there are too many individual circumstances and places where it makes no sense.

One of the reasons i like the local governments being responsible for their own populations. a rule for New York does not make sense in rural colorado...etc etc. Likewise...Denver rules should not be forced on that whole state.

I personally dont see any reason why a mask is hard to comply with, should just be a general public "manners" type thing.....but you start fining folks or arresting them over it and you'll undoubtedly create protests against it....

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,042 mod

What will banks do when they reopen their lobbies? Are mask allowed? Or will we see retro fit bullet proof safety measures with sliding draws like the drive through?

Hmmm?

• Options

Once in the air Covid can stay for several minutes. When walking outside on a trail or anywhere if someone sneezes or coughs anyone that walks through that area for the next several minute risks exposure even if their face is covered. Wearing a mask is to easy of a solution to not do it just because people don't like being told they have too. For the time being it is a public health hazard to be in public without a face covering.

• Options
    CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I didn't know this and thanks for sharing. It makes me rethink the need for a mask while out on trails.

This discussion has been closed.