Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

COVID-19 Check-in

Comments

• Options
    flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not just you no. And accusations, so you are saying nobody on here thinks or has said more should have been done in January? I have seen on this board where it was said that all travel should have been stopped from China in January. He got ripped by other members of Congress for blocking what travel he did. So yea there was praise by members but don't say I am wrong in people wanting more done in January. Hindsight is great. My advice to you is, please don't take stuff so personal.

• Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is in line with the smaller studies done under less than ideal circumstances. Are their any issues with the methodology used with this study? I want to believe the data, it makes more sense with what we've actually seen transpire than some of the worst case scenarios folks are clinging to, but I don't want to get my hopes up if this study was shoddily executed.

Thanks for sharing!

• Options
    razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I couldn't find a link to the actual study itself that would have included the details re: how the data was extrapolated, but would expect a department of health to use established statistical methods to generate these estimates.

I'd add that the release says that the tests themselves happened in April, so in the time it took for the data to be collected/compiled/analyzed there are likely even more people in the general population with antibodies than referenced in this study.

• Options
    BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2020

We made some headway in the Commonwealth of Virginia, late Yesterday they announced they will track how many people have been infected and have fully recovered separate from those who are currently infected.

Now if we can just get Virginia Health Commissioner Dr. Norman Oliver to quit counting the same person as additional cases for a positive test even within the same week, we will have a better understanding of the spread and will have a more accurate mortality rate so leaders can make more informed decisions for our health and the economy.

• Options
    RedDawgRedDawg Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Spent the last week in Destin FL.... and it's pretty much entirely back to normal feeling except for the occasional mask you see and many businesses closing earlier than internet says their hours are. The beaches were packed...the beachfront restaurants and bars were completely busy....no one keeping safe distances, and only staff wearing masks (but not even every employee). It was an odd feeling all week and def caused some anxiety when we were required to enter some stores to get things because curbside and such was not an option. the crowds on the beach were concerning as well. Apparently there's only been 160 ish cases of c19 down there, but it didnt make me feel any better.

hopefully all that sunshine UV and humid hot air kept us safe.

back in Athens and havent had a chance to go on a drive around yet. will be running an errands run later this afternoon....hoping to see a more disciplined/respectful culture regarding distances and such. I really want UGA to feel comfortable bringing students back...and for that, we need us locals to give the impression that we can wash our hands....lol

• Options
    JoelSidneyKellyJoelSidneyKelly Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Anyone who thinks this chart is unbiased is biased.

This chart was the brainchild of Denver patent attorney Vanessa Otero, a proud left leaning democrat.

I'm not an advocate of either side on this, but if a bunch of Trump supporting Fox news devotees made a "media bias" chart it would look a lot different... and it would be biased, too (even if they published their biased methodology).

• Options
    DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well if nothing else, this virus has taught us that people will manipulate numbers to make whatever point they want to make. I don't understand why they can't count how many are tested, either they are positive or negative. Count how many went to the hospital, count how many of hospitalized went to ICU, and count how many recovered or died. It doesn't have to be that complicated.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sounds very similar to mid-March when I was in Broward/Miami-Dade where there was minimal cases and deaths at that time. Hope it's not going to be a major problem in 4-6 weeks!

• Options

It was the same study done and has the same issues.

1. It was taken from those out and about so likely not fully representative of the general population.
    2. Being voluntary most attractive to those that had symptoms previously and wanted to check if they are immune.

A random sample is anything but random as it is designed to cover a representative cross section of the population in general. Likely a pointer but not to be taken too literally.

• Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ahhh, I thought it sounded similar. It still seems to fit what we are seeing better than the hair on fire projections. Here's hoping the virus isn't as bad as initially feared.

• Options
    edited May 2020

Just started keeping track of FL deaths reported by date of death as that's where I live. To your point the DOH website shows +42 reported today of which 0 are for today or yesterday, 9 Weds, 8 Tues, 2 Mon, 2 Sun, 3 Sat, 4 last Friday, 2 last Thurs, 1 each May 1st and 2nd for a MAY total of 32 leaving me to assume that 10 were from April! How does this happen! Will continue to monitor next week to see if this is a persistent problem.

I have been monitoring just the total daily deaths but this is C R A P

• Options

I'm not following? Are reported deaths going up using date of death?

• Options
    edited May 2020

Today's deaths were 1,917 which were 42 higher than yesterday's total of 1,875. When looking at yesterday's deaths by date I noticed that only 10 were from Weds and zero from "yesterday" out of 48 reported. I therefore documented the daily total by date of death since May 1st. Today I did the same thing by Date of death and saw that it appears that FL is extremely delayed in reporting their deaths and hence are under-reporting their total.

The total of 42 reported today doesn't equate to the 32 adds by date of death for May. Seems like delays in reporting are horrid. Will continue to monitor daily for the next few days. Those in red are the one's where the number reported today are higher than reported yesterday.

• Options

Is it possible they're only reporting confirmed vs Probable? Some states are also posting LTC and non-LTC deaths in different reports (?)

• Options
    edited May 2020

Could be non residents but the changes to May 1, May 2 etc. is the same report 1 day later! It shouldn't take 2 weeks to report a death. Even a change of 8 (17 => 25) for Tuesday is unacceptable.

• Options
    flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Maybe I was a little overboard but right here in March he was telling people to go on cruises, downplaying it to only be affecting those with underlying conditions. A large number of people don't know they have an underlying condition. Some are blaming Trump now for not having it all shut down early where here is his main advisor saying different. Hindsight?

• Options
    WayxGaDawgWayxGaDawg Posts: 100 ✭✭✭ Junior

Under age of 65 COVID 19 has same death rate as the Flu. That is just a fact! The worse thing we can do at this point is keep everyone locked inside their homes. Please do yourself a favor and do some actual research. Please do not believe everything CNN tells you.

• Options
    LORLOR Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2020

Replying to a comment from 2 months ago just to get a reaction?

• Options
    SupraSupra Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited May 2020

What the hell. Lets run the numbers.

If 70% of people under 65 got the virus and it has a death rate of .01 like you say.... that’s about 188,000 deaths just in those under 65. Worth it??

For perspective, that’s more American deaths than WW1. Take your own advice.

This discussion has been closed.