Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

COVID-19 Check-in 2.0

Comments

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Denmen185 @Denmen185 im the above post, when you stated, “There has been some improvement in treating such as less ventilator use early in treatment cycle, better drugs such as Remdesivir and steroids.”

You forgot to mention hydroxychloriquine.

In an earlier post, you broke down the case rate for CFR 20 and CFR 30 based on the time period before the current increase in Florida. I believe the breakdown is something close to 179k new cases since June 12? Do you happen to have the breakdown on cases by age group in Florida for the last 30 days?

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I read studies. When used to clear mucus it has to be inhaled. Taken orally it increases glutathione levels which can have an effect on inflammation.

• Options
  • Options
    dirtypantsdirtypants Posts: 259 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@PerroGrande I think this is the point most people gloss over without giving a second thought. We won't know specifics until this is in our past and we can give definitive answers to serious questions. This is also why i think taking precautions is warranted. No one I know, you know, and anyone they know, has never lived through anything like this. Our understanding is limited to a few months time. People want to believe this is politically motivated, and i get it, it's an election year. But i fail to see how taking basic precautions to ensure your own safety, and the safety of others, is some political grandstanding. But I digress.

I encourage everyone to take time to understand perspectives that are not your own. The divide in this country is being driven by people who don't live in our neighborhoods, so they don't feel our struggle. Community is a mask we can all wear without taking a political stance. Care about those around you and their well being, just for a little while, so we can have a college football season, so we can save our nation.

We march forward into uncertainty, but we march together, with our united purpose as our compass.

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I never said it wasn't helpful. It's action changes depending on how it's administered.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2020

I live out here in Southern California. I am however PROUDLY from the great state of Georgia. There are however, many decisions that I made after my military service to the Marines ended in my first taking a really good job here at The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, then after sometime time on later marrying just THE SWEETEST woman that I have ever known. All of this has now anchored me in San Diego. The day to day struggle just to survive in this place is very real for such a large segment of the folks that live out here. The economic scene is (IMHO) more dire here as the shutdowns have a vast ripple effect throughout most all of the population. I do not have the answers folks. I know that Covid-19 is very real, and it's is devastating to so many. My wife and our kids are (so far) safe, and we are hanging in there. I always, always, always look for the bright side, or what is positive to keep my own head up. Covid-19 and the economic shutdowns that continue to happen make it a very scary thing into an indefinite amount of time going forward. I wish I could just wake up and find that this was all just a terrible nightmare. My prayers are being prayed upon daily for each and everyone of all of y'all. I do that with all of my heart. My prayers are happening all day, everyday.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2020

Only tracked from 6/19.

As you can see the % over 55 is lower than during the period but the 43,327 is still above the 250 per day (24 days = 6,000) it was running at the end of May.

• Options
    texdawgtexdawg Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@YaleDawg and @Denmen185

Looking back to what you thought in Feb/March

To what you think now......

Is covid 19 worse than you thought it would be, better than you thought.... or is this about what you thought this disease would do?

• Options

@dirtypants I don’t think anyone here is saying we shouldn’t take basic precautions.

To the point being made earlier by @PerroGrande, below you can see that the deaths per million are much higher in Europe than in the United States. I read an article about Sweden’s death toll and a study has found that they basically death paneled the older folks and refused them ICU treatment in favor of younger people. I’ll link that article, too. Socialized medicine?

• Options
    pocoyopocoyo Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2020
  • Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It is dangerous to compare areas/countries that are close to the bottom of the down slope to one that is still rising.

NY is in a similar position to Europe and are at 1,666 per million. NJ 1,740; Mass 1,193;

Florida is only at 205 at the moment but set a record today ( 132 - Tuesday catch-up)

• Options

Thank you. What are the respective CFR’s for each of those 55+ age groups?

• Options

Wow. Why so high in NY, NJ, and Mass? They’ve certainly held restrictions in place.

• Options
    Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Some anecdotal info from some friends in the medical field...

Some docs starting to use nebulizers to administer meds with good results - most notably quicker recoveries, and less escalation of symptoms.

Found that interesting.

• Options
    dirtypantsdirtypants Posts: 259 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Bankwalker I wasn't necessarily referring to this page, but I see it more and more on social media and people at the grocery store and it's just frustrating. I get that no one wants to be told what to do, and a lot of talking heads are feeding into the dividing narrative in our country. Just wish people would look out for those in their community, as it is focus on community and banding together that will inevitably get us through this.

This discussion has been closed.