Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Why does everyone think that UF stands a chance of beating us?

cliffhangercliffhanger Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

I am not even considering us losing to UF this season. Yes we may have lot of experience, but I think we all agree that the offense will be better. By the time the WLOCP comes around our young defense should be clicking, and our ST may be the best they have ever been. So why when I look at peoples predictions for our season they put UF as a team that may beat us?

Comments

• KyotoPhantasyKyotoPhantasy Posts: 67 ✭✭✭ Junior

I fear we are underestimating losses from last year's team, particularly Chubb, Michel, and Smith.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sure UF will have a chance to win. I’m confident that the Dawgs will have a good season but it’s not going to be a cakewalk.

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It’s a rivalry game. Unexpected things happen. They’ll be motivated for sure. Not too many times have we put a whooping on them like last year. They’ll be ready for sure.

• dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,169 mod

Toughest game will be in Baton Rouge anyone who thinks the gaytors will beat us is delusional

• jgf1031jgf1031 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm writing this game off as a W as well. Sure, it's a rivalry game, but UF is in re-build mode, not reload like we are. I'm banking on a 34-17 type win.

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Anyone who doesnt believe that we could lose on any given saturday (with a few exceptions) needs to put the kool aid down. Think OSU thought they were going to lose when last year's team left for an easy game in the state of Iowa? Think Custard was worried about losing?

I'm all for confidence, and have preached it here before. But being blindy cocky is asking for trouble.

• cliffhangercliffhanger Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

@BamaDawg said:
    Anyone who doesnt believe that we could lose on any given saturday (with a few exceptions) needs to put the kool aid down. Think OSU thought they were going to lose when last year's team left for an easy game in the state of Iowa? Think Custard was worried about losing?

I'm all for confidence, and have preached it here before. But being blindy cocky is asking for trouble.

Blindly cocky and confidant are two different things

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Why do people think UF may beat us? Probably because we've seen games the last 15 years where we had the better team but came out the losing team. Teams that immediately come to mind are...2002, 2003, 2005, & 2014.

@UnderDog68 said:
    Why do people think UF may beat us? Probably because we've seen games the last 15 years where we had the better team but came out the losing team. Teams that immediately come to mind are...2002, 2003, 2005, & 2014.

That was a different era. No more need be said...UF won’t beat us this year but many of these games will be close. Every SEC game will be a closer game than expected excluding Vandy.

Should add that regular season record will be 11-1/12-0.

• jgf1031jgf1031 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BamaDawg said:

Sure, we CAN lose, but will we? I don't think so. See? Confidence.

Think it should be noted that the epitome of a rivalry game is that either team can win. That’s what makes it a rivalry game. We will win, but a lot of us will sweat this one out.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UF stands a chance of beating us.

@cliffhanger said:

@BamaDawg said:

Blindly cocky and confidant are two different things

I'm not for sure if you are agreeing with me or not. I thought my post distinguishes between the two. Maybe not.

So I will say it again, I'm all for confidence, but being blindly cocky is asking for trouble.

• DawginSCDawginSC Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

UGA could lose to anyone.

But let's also be realistic... the chance of losing varies a lot depending on who and where we're playing.

So a few things about Florida.
    1) They're late in the season. I believe this favors UGA as we will have inexperienced talent on the field. But after 7 games... that is less of a problem.
    2) It's after a bye week. That means 2 weeks of coaching to get the team ready and an extra week to recover from injuries. I like our coaching staff's ability to prepare.
    3) Florida's talent is not great (by their standards). Their 2013 and 2014 classes were very good (top 5 and top 10). Those are most of the remaining players moving on. Their other classes that would likely make up the majority of their players were ranked #23, #14, #9 and #18. For a comparison... SC was #19, #26, #16 and #19. They're closer talent wise to SC than to LSU (#8, #5, #8, #13)
    4) They have a new coaching staff. Year 2 is usually where you see the full impact of a new coach. Year 1 (especially with a change in the type of offense or defense a team runs) is generally not as successful.

Yes, UGA could lose to UF. But the chances seem less than losing to LSU or AU (both who have more talent) and less than SC (who plays us early in their stadium). None of those teams plays UGA after UGA has a bye.

The chance of a loss to UF feels more like the chances of us losing to Missouri or Georgia Tech.

edited April 2018

@SoFL_Dawg said:
    Think it should be noted that the epitome of a rivalry game is that either team can win. That’s what makes it a rivalry game. We will win, but a lot of us will sweat this one out.

Rivalry games aren't magic or in any way preordained outcome wise.
    Florida dominated us for over 20 years, that should be enough evidence to conclude anything is possible, just as with any other game.
    The baggage Spurrier instilled in our heads was an intangible mill stone around our necks, but HOPEFULLY we've finally cast that off.
    Based on talent and coaching I think we'll likely win, but it's in no way a sure thing.
    We could win big, win close, lose close or lose big, it's the nature of things.

@jgf1031 said:

@BamaDawg said:

Sure, we CAN lose, but will we? I don't think so. See? Confidence.

Not for sure what your point is or why you put a ? after See. Are you suggesting that I don't understand the use of the word confidence? No where did I say we couldn't win, nor anywhere in my post did I imply that I didn't think we wouldn't win. But I bet you don't have enough fingers to count the times we (fans) were confident we (UGA) would win in Jacksonville because we (UGA) had the better team.

See?

@jgf1031 said:
    I'm writing this game off as a W as well. Sure, it's a rivalry game, but UF is in re-build mode, not reload like we are. I'm banking on a 34-17 type win.

There is no history to prove we're in a ''reload'' cycle ..YET.
    Bama has perpetual #1 classes going back as far as any non-true freshman on their team.
    So their depth and training of talent still exceeds our roster.
    We're at least a year away from having their level of stockpiled veteran talent to replace those we lose.

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No guarantees in life, particularly during the SEC Football season. The South Carolina, LSU, Florida, & Auburn games are ALL games that Georgia had better be prepared for. Having said that? My expectations are through the moon.... GO DAWGS!!

• christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawginSC said:
    UGA could lose to anyone.

But let's also be realistic... the chance of losing varies a lot depending on who and where we're playing.

So a few things about Florida.
    1) They're late in the season. I believe this favors UGA as we will have inexperienced talent on the field. But after 7 games... that is less of a problem.
    2) It's after a bye week. That means 2 weeks of coaching to get the team ready and an extra week to recover from injuries. I like our coaching staff's ability to prepare.
    3) Florida's talent is not great (by their standards). Their 2013 and 2014 classes were very good (top 5 and top 10). Those are most of the remaining players moving on. Their other classes that would likely make up the majority of their players were ranked #23, #14, #9 and #18. For a comparison... SC was #19, #26, #16 and #19. They're closer talent wise to SC than to LSU (#8, #5, #8, #13)
    4) They have a new coaching staff. Year 2 is usually where you see the full impact of a new coach. Year 1 (especially with a change in the type of offense or defense a team runs) is generally not as successful.

Yes, UGA could lose to UF. But the chances seem less than losing to LSU or AU (both who have more talent) and less than SC (who plays us early in their stadium). None of those teams plays UGA after UGA has a bye.

The chance of a loss to UF feels more like the chances of us losing to Missouri or Georgia Tech.

Well said!! GO DAWGS!!!