Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Braves Ongoing Season Comments Thread..

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

MIKE SOROKA !

He carried a 3 hit shutout into the 9th inning tonight. He walked the first batter, Winkler came in and gave up 2 hits sticking MS with the earned run. So he's now 7-1 with a 1.38 ERA that should be 1.20.

This kid is already among the best.

• Options

How's this for a stat ?

Soroka is the first pitcher in MLB history to open a season giving up 1 or fewer earned runs in 9 out of 11 starts. Wow, nobody in the 150 or so year history of the game did it before now.

• Options
    LD10LD10 Posts: 434 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Definite Cy Young candidate.

• Options
    dbrown7494dbrown7494 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The money that is not being spent is currently going to be used on guys like Swanson, Soroka, Fried, and Riley. MLB is slowly going to short term contracts with big $$$ amounts.

Dallas was a great move due to the 1 year contract. Also don’t be surprise if the Braves make a trade at the deadline.

• Options

dbrown. Liberty is cheap. Kimbrel should be a Brave now.

• Options
    bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Chances Riley gets Roy and soroka gets Cy young...

it would be interesting to see a rookie in the mix for cy and Roy.

• Options
    Bulldawg90Bulldawg90 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Josh Donaldson finds it “completely embarrassing” that Keuchel and Kimbrell weren’t signed yet as free agents. I find that quote ironic for a career .274 hitter, currently hitting .246, that is making $23 million for one season as a free agent.

And still sports a mullet.

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great game today if you’re a fan of pitching and defense. Good hustle and base running by Riley and a run saving play by Donaldson late in the game. Julio has pitched as good for the last month as I can remember him pitching as a Brave.

• Options
    MuffingodMuffingod Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That was a hell of a throw and catch by Donaldson and Freeman. Donaldson has a couple good defensive plays today, wish he could’ve gotten a hit for all of the other efforts.

• Options

CoastalDawg. I just posted in the other Braves thread that Julio's ERA for May was 0.98, his June ERA to date is 0.00 and he's given up a total of 3 earned runs over his last 6 starts. He's right there with Soroka over the past month results wise. Watching the 2 pitch is a different matter though. Soroka is extremely tough to make hard contact against, he looks to have what it takes for long term high level success.

• Options
    PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Without looking up the numbers it also feels like Teheran isn't going as deep in games either. At times he is battling with hitters and having longer innings. Soroka comes across to me as dominating hitters and dictating the course of the at bat.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

that is one area where Teheran could improve - he left after 6 innings and close to 100 pitches last night, I think it was close to 100. If he could average just one more inning a game, it would help a LOT. I guess he's learned to pitch now - his fastball velo is down but his effectiveness seems up. I like that.

• Options
    KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He throws a lot of pitches because his stuff isn’t good enough to put guys away. Long at bats, having to nibble, etc. if we can get 5 good innings out of him that’s a success, hes not a 7 inning a game of 2 run ball pitcher.

• Options

Kirbstomper. Soroka throws fewer pitches because hitters can't get the fat of the bat on his stuff. He's so good he doesn't have to throw a lot of waste pitches. With Soroka a hitter just about has to get lucky, there's little hope of tracking the ball well.

• Options

donm. It couldn't hurt Julio to be able to watch Soroka every 5th game. Movement, control, command.

• Options
    ColaDawg86ColaDawg86 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Max Fried was safe at home!

• Options
    CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

Cool. Another blown save. I like Luke Jackson, but he's an 8th inning guy and Liberty's cheapness has cost us quite a few games.

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Another great comeback win by the Braves. A big game by Matt Joyce, given a rare start in RF. It’s going to be interesting to see what roster moves are made when Ender comes off IL, would think it will mean Joyce or a reliever losing their roster spot. Will also have to clear spot for Keuchel in the next couple of weeks. Glausman to bullpen?

• Options
    volatilisvolatilis Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Luke will get better. Even the mighty Kimbrel had 8 blown saves his first full year as the Braves closer. Besides, at least he kept the game tied. Marlins should have won during that at bat.

• Options
    CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

True, and like I said I like him. He’s a great story this year. I just don’t feel comfortable putting him out there every single 9th inning

This discussion has been closed.