Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Braves Ongoing Season Comments Thread..

Comments

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I didn’t see the game tonight, did he miss location and leave it high or was he going there intentionally? If you go high it needs to be top of the zone and smoking, anything else besides a big hook will get hammered. Braves have some tough decisions to make.

• MODawgMODawg Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Missing locations and left a hanging slider middle in for the catcher to take out to start the damage(on a 2 strike count). And that was my point why are we going in with 2 strikes especially with a slider?

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kimbrel to the Cubs. 3 years $43 million. Don’t tell me there wasn’t room on the payroll. Now I expect we will see valuable prospects unnecessarily traded away for bullpen help.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Basically Kimbrel dropped his starting asking price down 30% and the Braves don't bite. Thanks, Liberty.

• GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We didn't have room on the payroll if what someone had been saying on 680 all season was correct (the Braves only had 6-10 million left). So yes, Liberty (or more like McGuirk) chose to slash payroll from last season.

• PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I actually don't mind not signing Kimbrel. By the time he's really ready you're going to be close to halfway through this season. He'll have to be eased in. No back-to-back nights for awhile. You're effectively paying 45 mil for 2.5 seasons. I can't commit that much to a reliever, sorry.

Yeah this is the truth, I'm saying this and he'll probably close us out at least once up in Chicago in a little over a couple weeks but even with relievers you don't know when they're going to be themselves again. At the earliest I'd expect him to be himself again after the break and himself is probably more along what we've seen in 2015-2018 now.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

We should have signed Kimbrel 6 weeks ago when anybody with a brain cell who was paying attention knew we didn't have a closer on staff. I disagree with the assumption he'll take a long time to get into game condition though. He's a veteran, he may well be close right now.

There is no hard cap in MLB. Saying we only have 5 or 6 million left is just saying Liberty won't come off the money. Revenues are through the roof now, The Braves are among the elite in having the resources, it's cheap ownership that is only concerned with how much money they can keep in Denver that kept us from making a deal with Kimbrel...period.

Agreed, Braves have plenty of money. Maybe they applied a cap to themselves internally, as Liberty needs to make sure the bank vault is stuffed full. It's crazy the amount of money the Braves are raking in right now and turning around and not spending any.

edited June 2019

All the preparing in the world doesn't substitute for not seeing hitters for pitchers.

GeorgiaGirl. You're absolutely correct, but. Being a veteran should speed up the process for Kimbrel, especially if he behaved like a veteran and kept an aggressive workout schedule primed toward the goal of getting back quickly.

We'll see how this plays out but I just don't see Chicago getting the ROI they're going for in this deal. That said, and this might seem contradictory, I do want us to sign Kuechel assuming it isn't for crazy money.

• UGA4LifeUGA4Life Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Liberty is not, I repeat, is not going to open the checkbook and give the team the money it needs to legitimately compete with the big boys. They are way more concerned with stuffing their own pockets instead of helping the team. The Battery was just a way for them to make more money.

edited June 2019

PTDawg. Theo Epstein doesn't make a whole lot of bad decisions. He has hardware to prove it. He put together The Red Sox team that finally won a World Series, then another. Then he went to The Cubs and put together the team that broke their long drought by winning a World Series.

edited June 2019

He makes smart decisions on the whole I agree. I think one thing people miss is assuming that having a big payroll allows you to just buy whatever players you want. What it really allows you to do is spend your way out of mistakes and overpay relative to performance for what you want. A great example using Epstein and Cubs is the former Brave Jason Heyward. They are paying him like a superstar but he is defense-first role player on that team. Epstein is absolutely a brilliant guy. But he can also play the game of a way that only 2-3 clubs really can.

edited June 2019

PTDawg. Epstein stepped in to not 1 but 2 situations where rich clubs had gone close to 200 years or so between them without winning a title and won in just about the time it takes to assemble a roster, that was far more than outspending the competition.

edited June 2019

I disagree. He obviously knows what he's doing and is a smart baseball man. He deserves a great deal of credit for what he did with Boston and Chicago. As you pointed out many had tried for a century and hadn't been successful. What I'm saying is that his approach would only be successful in those type of environments. The Rays or A's (or Braves obviously) can't/won't pay Heyward $22 mill/yr to play great defense and be serviceable at the plate. The Cubs can/will. I think it is no coincidence that Epstein has distinguished himself in two environments that allowed this approach to flourish. Clearly that isn't the whole picture. Bryant, Rizzo and others were home grown and developed. It's a combination of both.

Braves don't have to spend Dodgers, Cubs, Red Sox, and Yankees type money, just spend more! I think they're around 6th in revenue, but are 21st in spending. If they spent as much as the 6th ranked payroll, that'd be an additional $47 million a year (not saying that you have to be 6th in spending just because you're 6th in revenue, just using it as a rough estimate of where they could easily be). I think $47 million would at least shore up the bullpen and/or get another solid starter. Again, these are just rough estimates of where they could be spending. Liberty just elects to keep that money, even though the team clearly has a few needs that could be address to make them a legitimate contender.

edited June 2019

Teddy. I'm sure overhead in NYC. Boston and Chicago is considerably higher than in Atlanta. So The Braves' 6th place revenue likely goes further than in those high priced cities.

This discussion has been closed.