Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Braves Ongoing Season Comments Thread..

Comments

• Options
    georgiaboygeorgiaboy Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So you’re ok with your $20 million star free agent hitting.260/7/21? Camargo can give you those numbers playing everyday.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Donaldson is tied with Markakis for 2nd on the team in OBP at .379, Freddie is well over .400.

That means a whole lot to my way of thinking. First order of business when at the plate is don't make an out. Get runners on base and give the next guy up a chance.

I'm not saying I'm fine with his power numbers, but I'll take a high OBP with mid level power over high level power and low OBP.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Ender has hit .291, .304 and .265 the past 3 years - lifetime .286.

• Options
    CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Clutch performance tonight by Dan Winkler

• Options
    edited May 2019

Apparently Winkler doesn't have a closer's mentality. He's been great all year till the first time he was asked to close, then he fell apart.

• Options
    CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2019

Funny how that works

• Options

Advanced metrics might say closer by committee is fine, but some pitchers cannot handle the moment when asked to close out a game.

• Options
    KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I mean I’m in favor of closer by committee, but you have to have a committee lol. We have been horrible in the bullpen. Outside of Luke Jackson everybody has been awful all year.

• Options

What’s he hitting right now? What’s the trend since coming to Atlanta?

• Options
    edited May 2019

He is at .218 right now, but batting average is really not a very good metric. I would tell you he has produced 36% less runs than an mlb average hitter would this year. That’s a much more significant number because it captures on base ability, extra base hit ability, etc.

Ender always starts slow for some reason, then hits better and ends up being a below average hitter without much power and is kind of a hole in the the lineup. But his defense has always been so good he’s more than made up for it and is an above average starter.

But the metrics haven’t loved his defense so far this year.. the second his defense declines he is no longer an mlb player. Normally I would be be there with you @donm but I’m genuinely worried about him.

• Options
    GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That was the 8th inning for Winkler, and he had been in at times for those innings.

But anyway, that inning was more on shifting then anything. I'm not sure why you employ a shift in 1st and 3rd with 1 out, and Ozzie had to wait on his turn because Dansby was shaded over due to shifts. Got unlucky as it was a hair late there. Winkler also got hit and that ball would've been an out without him being hit.

• Options

I will admit that I’m not into metrics at all. I watch every game and just try to get a feel for who is helping/hurting the team. I still look at old school stats...BA, HR, RBI, SO, BB. I don’t think we’re getting enough offensively out of C, Ozzie or Donaldson. For a comparison, Dansby is hitting.250ish but has double digit HR, 2nd in RBI I think, and just seems to be big in clutch situations. I just feel like the $23 mil would’ve been better spent to fix the pen rather than signing Donaldson. As someone else said, just my opinion.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kirbstomper,

I'm actually a bit concerned about him as well. I wonder if he has started the inevitable "decline" that most players experience. He's not that old but he had a statistically "off" year last year, hitting .265. If your leadoff guy isn't getting on base or scoring many runs, it's not a good situation for sure. I guess only time will tell if he's in real decline. The good news is we have Pache not far from being ready for prime time.

• Options

Kirb. Winkler has been fantastic this year. He just spit the bit when asked to close. We have several players who have performed well in relief.

• Options

They didn’t pay Donaldson $23 mil for a high obp. He’s supposed to be a bopper, that’s why he’s hitting clean up. He’s not driving in enough runs to justify his paycheck.

• Options

So You seem hung up on the money part. I’ll give you that maybe that money would have been better spent on 2 elite relievers (if you could find them, relievers are notoriously hard to evaluate). BUT 23 million is kind of the going rate for guys like josh, and thinking he is overpaid because the Braves don’t pay guys like that is akin to calling the Braves cheap. If someone wanted to look up the highest annual salaries this year, I would bet that would put that 23M into context.

I have been slightly disappointed in his offense so far as well, but I also recognize that he is still playing well. I think we could get more out of him and hopefully he gets hot soon, but we are still better with him than without him. And hey, if you want to win you’re gonna have to spend some money.

and @donm ender should never be our leadoff again. I would rather see markakis there if not ronald.

• Options
    MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Acuna does seem better at #3 or #4 in the lineup, but he does have excellent speed and pretty disciplined about balls and strikes. He's in a little slump right now. What do you guys think about Camargo leading off? He's a good "contact hitter" from what I see.

• Options
    MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Never mind. Camargo is hitting .212. I haven't kept up with all of the developments this season, as some of you have.

He's been a solid hitter the last few seasons. What happened?

• Options

I’m ok with the $23 mil if he produces. I felt from the start that we overpaid for a guy that hadn’t played in nearly a year due to injury. He may well earn his money before the year is over but to my untrained eye he looks lost at the plate most of the time. He doesn’t seem to be swinging at a lot of strikes and he seems fooled often. As a fan I hope he finds his MVP form sooner rather than later.

• Options

My opinion, when Camargo gets to play, he hits. He’s not as good off the bench as a guy like Culberson. Funny that Culberson can’t seem to hit when he gets regular playing time.

This discussion has been closed.