Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Braves Ongoing Season Comments Thread..

Comments

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pache’s hitting .299 at AA Mississippi, should be called up to Gwinnett soon. I think Pache starts in CF for us next year. With Riley the apparent third baseman for the foreseeable future, and Dansby and Ozzie entrenched at SS and 2B, Camargo will have to become a corner outfielder to get regular playing time with the Braves.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Camargo in the outfield or move him for a relief pitcher, just stop wasting him.

• Options

Would like to see us keep him, given his versatility and salary. Will probably be hard for him to keep a good attitude and mental approach if they keep him in the utility man role, given his youth. He’s very valuable as an insurance policy in case of injury to one of our starters. Think Ender’s days are numbered with Braves.

• Options
    GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sending him down would not be a "for good" deal, it's he hasn't taken to a part time role well and needs to get his swing back (he was getting a good bit of PT to me but he really played his way out of it). If you're actually trying to compete, just letting him start and leave him alone to figure it out isn't a good idea.

He doesn't really have much value rn, in hindsight since they've never really shown much belief in him, they needed to sell high, but they probably didn't expect Austin Riley to blow AAA up as much as he did.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I would think they'd try to hold onto Inciarte (unless he keeps tanking), as Donaldson is gone after this season, with Riley back to the infield. Pache could step into the vacant outfield opening, but after the 2020 season Markakis may be gone. They have Inciarte through 2021 (with a club option for 22').

• Options
    GeorgiaGirlGeorgiaGirl Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Having an actual deal in place would be tampering in MLB. So it's more like they're talking.

• Options

Teddy. I think plans have include Drew Waters in the outfield no later than 2021, and very possibly next season. His stock keeps going up, he might prove to be better than Pache.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It’s possible, need to see how both do at the next level first.

• Options
    KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think we gotta temper expectations on pache and waters. I’m high on them as well, but prospects turn out to bust pretty often. Regardless of how highly thought of you are.

With that being said, pache has as high a floor as anybody and I love waters upside. Good bet that one of them turns out to be a player. I just wouldn’t write them into the starting lineup for 2020 just yet, is my point I guess.

• Options

I agree there's a chance either or both outfield prospects will ultimately fall short of current expectations. However both are far enough along to make plans that include them.

• Options

Rough night for our pitching staff. I haven’t looked up his numbers, but it’s hard to watch when we bring Blevins in to pitch. He’s an example of how hard it is to find decent left-handed relievers, and how mediocre ones can keep finding jobs.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Folty had good stuff but he just can’t to seem to turn the corner. Might need a good sport psychologist. Smoltzies isn’t available any more I don’t think.

• Options
    Red_N_BlackRed_N_Black Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Anybody else notice how badly the Braves have done coming back from an off day? The Braves have played 10 games this season when they had an off day the day before (scheduled day off or rainout) Amazingly they are 1-9 in those games. They have been outscored 79-44. Our starters have an ERA of 7.68 and relievers an ERA of 7.71. Maybe just a fluke but kinda makes you wonder what our guys are doing on their off days.

• Options

Wow! that is interesting. I wonder if the youth of the team and what they do on the off day has anything to do with it.

• Options

R_B. Interesting stat. It's hard to know whether something like that has a cause or is just an oddity like a coin landing on heads 9 out of 10 times. It's worth noting though.

• Options

Donm. The sports shrink is no joke in my opinion. You don't see the terms command or control much when it comes to hitting and fielding, just with pitching.

Other than the obvious need to be blessed with a certain amount of physical ability, much of pitching is commanding and controlling yourself.

• Options

As a former practicing sport psychologist I couldn’t agree more with you. Research suggests that mental toughness/control is what separates the good from the great - more so than talent.

• Options

Resilient connective tissue is important too.

• Options
    volatilisvolatilis Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

Anybody here think that batting Riley at cleanup has crossed Snitker's mind? I think he might try it if Donaldson doesn't start hitting better.. I mean, Josh isn't doing terrible but he's got the same amount of RBI's as Riley with 38 more games played.

• Options
    edited June 2019

Volatilis.Riley became just the 4th player in MLB history to hit 8 hrs in his first 16 games in the bigs. He did it in just 62 at bats.

I'll save everybody the suspense, he won't keep this pace up. I'm not sure I'd change anything right now, just play out the hot streak.

Soroka wasn't dominant today, but he was good enough for the win.

This discussion has been closed.