Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Braves Ongoing Season Comments Thread..

Comments

• KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@georgiaboy his mvp days are done, so that isn’t really something to hold your breath over. I would challenge you to tell me what he would have to do to be worth his contract in your opinion? I have a general idea for mine and he is still on track for that.

• georgiaboygeorgiaboy Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, first off I’d think he needs to be better than the guy he replaced. Camargo was .276/19/76 last year. Camargo is younger, cheaper and under team control longer.

I’d think reasonable expectations for a guy making that kind of money and at his age (only 33) would be .280ish/25/100.

What are your expectations?

My expectations are about a 130 wrc+ Or higher and 3.5 WAR. He is a better hitter than camargo was last year analytically. Also no guarantee camargo could replicate last year since it was a career year nobody really saw coming.

i won’t pretend he was the perfect fit for what the team needed but he is definitely one of our better players now.

• TheSmartWayTheSmartWay Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Interested in yall's opinion on Camargo's future role with the team. With Pache and Rivers locked into the last two outfield spots and Riley penciled into 3B, I see Camargo as maintaining something of a superutility role on the team. Only big issue there is that he seems to be struggling with the inconsistent nature of his at-bats right now, and he may be unhappy with a bench role. What are everyone's thoughts?

On a separate note, imagine this lineup in a couple of years:

Pache, Acuna, Freeman, Riley, Rivers, Albies, Swanson. Just need to pay up for a catcher!

Not arguing as these are our opinions but we’ll have to agree to disagree...I’d place Josh at 6 out of starting 8 right now, today.

Freeman

Acuna

Swanson

Markakis

Reilly

Josh

Ozzie

Catcher

edited May 2019

I honestly don’t hate your list. I have so much hope that Swanson can keep this up, and nick is defying the age curve. I wouldn’t count Riley quite yet because of the extremely small sample size, but if he keeps even close to this pace he is a huge asset.

I think where we disagree mainly is just how good Donaldson has been. Also, you may Be way under rating flowers. He is a top 10 catcher right now

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wouldn't say no one saw it coming. He hit right at .300 two years ago, and higher than that once he got regular playing time. I expected him to be close to that last year and he was a bit short of that. He is a gifted fielder and that is not nothing. The Braves defense is quite good when Ender is in there and Camargo somewhere.. Solid at all spots with maybe a slight, very slight lag behind the plate. Both catchers are very experienced and, as a duo, hit ok in my book. OTOH I could be wrong.

@Kirbstomper I’d rather have Suzuki back. Admittedly, going off of last years numbers. Have no idea what Zuk is doing this year.

I like Suzuki a lot. He was money.

• CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2019

This has been a great team comeback tonight. If the bullpen blows it I'm going to scream

Edit: nice.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great come back win tonight.

Also. ESPN MLB announcer Jessica Mendoza is really good. I think she knows her stuff as well as any man.

• CTDawgCTDawg Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

She certainly knows more than I do. She's great. Tim Kurkijan is my favorite baseball announcer in the world right now though

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great comeback win tonight. Really like our offense and starting pitching right now. If we can get Minter and Sabotka back pitching like they did last year and add Kimbrel as out closer, we could play with anybody.

• LD10LD10 Posts: 434 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Great comeback. We owed the red birds this one after Friday's loss.

• swilkerson73swilkerson73 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

RBI's are really a product of how good the players around you are. Not how good you are.

Baseball doesn't have a clock. The most important stat is not making outs. If you do that a whole bunch you will keep scoring.

Theoretically and inning could never end if the other team doesn't make three outs. Billy Beane and the A's were the first to figure this out. Immortalized in the movie Moneyball.

They consistently competed with the Yankees and Red Sox with a tenth of the payroll. By doing it smarter.

• PTDawgPTDawg Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The smartest. I think we either need to get Camargo on the field where he gets at least 300 at bats or trade him. He seems too talented be be a bench sitter.

• volatilisvolatilis Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stl was shocked when the Braves smacked around their ace closer. Was good to see. Also good to see was Riley shaking off that error and coming through like a veteran in the 9th. Of course the whole team really showed a lot of poise.

• TheSmartWayTheSmartWay Posts: 901 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great catch, I meant Waters. Pache, Acuna, and Waters could really be a stellar outfield down the road.

Seems like we're loaded with young talent at every position, but it comes down to whether our prospects develop like we expect. Especially at SP where we've have a plethora of prospects for years but only two (Soroka and Fried) currently look like potential long-term aces so far. The list of "future aces" who never seemed to pan out over the past few years is endless: Sean Newcomb, Lucas Sims, Luis Gohara, Kolby Allard, Ian Anderson, Aaron Blair, Tyrell Jenkins.....

I certainly wouldn't say that Allard and Newcombe haven't "panned out" yet. Allard is still developing and Newcombe has immense talent and may be getting his head on straight in the bullpen right now. Long term I see him as a starter. I haven't given up on Anderson either. Blair, Jenkins likely not going to make it bigly. Gohara is still a mystery to me - immense upside but still trying to figure it out.

This discussion has been closed.