Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Braves Ongoing Season Comments Thread..

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Man spell ckeck is comically bad on this android tablet. It changes words over and over like It's messing with me for sport.

• Options
    volatilisvolatilis Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

WC, I don't think anybody is in suspense wondering if Riley can keep this pace up. I admit he won't keep up this same pace, still the pace is a lot more productive than Josh at almost a 1/4 of the games played. My question though was you think it has come to Snitker's mind to do this change? I think it has and he may give it a try. It wouldn't be the first time a manager made a daring move with a rookie. Some moves have failed, some have made history.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, Willie Mays worked out sort of OK.

• Options
    edited June 2019

Volatilis. I can't speak to what Snitker might be thinking. I sure wouldn't move Riley when he's hitting this way though. The human factor makes such moves risky.

• Options

The Bravos won today. It wasn't very pretty, but it counts. Julio didn't give up a run in his 5 innings. He's finally stringing together good outings.

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Julio’s been great for the last month and only has 1 win. He’s been getting up to 90 or 100 innings in the 5th inning and the bullpen has been giving up the lead. It’s hard to complain with the way he’s been pitching, but his record would be better if he could be more economical with his pitches and go a little deeper in the game. If he keeps throwing like this, it will be hard for the Braves to not pick up his $12 million option for next year.

• Options
    KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is the reason people outside of our announcers don’t really care about record. I’m sure pitchers would like the win, but front offices and analytics people both realize record isn’t a good indication of how you’ve pitched. Granted if Julio could keep up his good pitching for more innings he would be better in the eyes of advanced stats and also likely have a better record.

Just a reminder degrom won the cy young last year with a 10-9 record.

• Options
    edited June 2019

Kirbstomper. a pitcher's record is usually a very good gauge over the long run, not so much in the short run though. A pitcher can have poor run support and bad luck or excellent run support and good luck for awhile, but these things even out in time.

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2019

There are just better indicators of pitching performance and talent than wins and losses.

A pitcher should only be measured on what he can control, to a degree. Wins and losses are largely outside of his control for reasons you mentioned. But I just prefer to use advanced stats to paint a picture.

• Options

Still, 300 game winners are more rare than hall of farmers and It's the ultimate prize for a starting pitcher. Over the course of most seasons and virtually every long career wins and losses give a pretty accurate picture. You're right in it not being the best snapshot of recent games though.

• Options

Braves go into tonight’s game only 1/2 game behind the Phillies. It’s time to sign Kimbrel, get Minter and Sabotka back with the big club, and get the bullpen in order. Still in a very good position, especially considering how many games our bullpen has blown.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It would take some research but I wonder how Mad Dog, Glavine, Smoltzie would measure up with so called "advanced" metrics. 300 game winners in general. How would they measure up in categories other than wins.

• Options
    Red_N_BlackRed_N_Black Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't see how bringing Minter and Sobotka back helps "get the bullpen in order". I'm trying to Imagine the jolt to your pride if you were Blevins or Winkler or Tomlin or whoever and getting sent down or DFAed because you were being replaced by a guy with an ERA of 9.82 (Minter) or 8.25 (Sobotka)

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Very well, it is very easy to tell on Baseball-reference.com.

Things can be a little skewed because of some of the pitchers of the early 20th century put up some ridiculous numbers over ridiculous innings. But Maddux ranks 3rd in the post WW2 era behind Clemens and only slightly behind Seaver in JAWS.

Glavine is 16th between Carlton and Ryan

Smoltz is 30th on the lower end of the HOF side with the Bullpen time helping him a little.

Their advanced stats I think show pretty well what I think we would perceive as their story. Maddux was dominant and in the argument for one of the best all time. Glavine was very very good, had the benefit of a strong prime and was also a good compiler of numbers. Smoltz had the strong prime, but couldn't quite compile the long term numbers.

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Didn't see it posted anywhere, but the Braves had 2 first round picks this year. They seem to have gone with 2 solid high floor guys, with a great glove decent bat catcher from Oregon and a 6'4" SS from aTm. Both should be solid if not spectacular players.

• Options

No offense to Blevins, Winkler, and Tomlin, but I think Minter and Sobotka showed last year that they have much higher potential than them. Both got off to rough starts this season but I think they’ll end up playing big roles before the season is over, can’t say the same for Blevins and Tomlin.

• Options
    edited June 2019

Kimbrel signed a 3 year deal with The Cubs. Cheap arse Liberty POS .

Also Gausman picked up where he left off in his last start, he got hammered for 5 runs in 2 innings tonight. All of a sudden the rotation looks weak again.

• Options
    MODawgMODawg Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

That's what happens when you leave pitches up in the zone. Same with Fried last night. Not sure why we don't go down and away more. It worked for 14 straight seasons

• Options

Soroka is so good because he almost never throws a straight, flat pitch and he has command. We don't have another one even close to his level now.

This discussion has been closed.