Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

COVID-19 Check-in

Comments

• Options
    Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Prayers, and I would love the link.

• Options
    ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,042 mod

Kasey Bro, sorry for the loss of your friend. Go ahead and post the link here. No reason not to for this purpose.

• Options
    razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks for taking the time to compile this data, @Denmen185 - seeing the #s is definitely helpful visually.

I personally haven't seen conclusive data on the causality between two potential strains, but not rejecting it outright.

One potential issue though based on the #s you show in the table: Boston is listed as one of the higher mortality states in that table but the first 70 documented cases were directly linked to a group of Biogen employees (those who attended the now locally infamous offsite meeting at the Marriott Longwharf) following a trip by a group of them returning to the US from Wuhan. Understanding that many of the cases in southeastern CT were likely infected from a NYC carrier (purported EU strain) vs Boston, I would say the majority of cases in MA, RI and even VT/NH/ME were likely linked to Boston/Mass.

Not sure what can be concluded - but just some additional data to consider.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Biotech meeting was attended by several European executives who, as is customary, greeted colleagues with kisses to both cheeks. This appears to be the source of the majority of the early cases in MA. Several attendees then returned to other states such as TN and NC and also carried the virus to other countries including China!

The first 2 cases in RI were teachers who went on a school trip to Italy.

• Options
    deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 1,595 mod

On the economy front my company sent out an email that was a little disconcerting. Based off a significant decrease in projections of demand due to COVID over the next 2 years my company is now offering early retirement and looking to downsize. The company sells a lot of parts for commercial airlines and is a big player in the Air Industry. It looks as if corporations are already beginning to plan for a recession. Not sure if this is specific to the Air industry or not. Anyone else hear anything from your employers?

• Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I have clients scrambling to find a way to make things work. Particularly in the automotive industry.

• Options

Multiple kisses is indeed common in the workplace in Europe, as well as in US facilities (I work for a European-based biopharma in Cambridge where colleagues greet each other/kiss in this way daily in the workplace...pre-COVID, anyway). That said - even if professional PDA in that meeting led to a higher transmission rate amongst meeting attendees, the origin of the strain itself for "patient 0" in Massachusetts was Wuhan.

As is often the case with this pandemic, new information is introduced daily - including an indication that while there are variants in the strains in China vs EU/US may impact the ease-of-transmission, that doesn't necessarily mean that one is more deadly than the other:

My broader point is that still-developing data is informing a lot of positions both in the national discourse. Efficacy of hcq on C19 still hasn't been proven in a controlled study, but the primary concern that everyone was up in arms about just two weeks ago re: safety (heart issues specifically) may have been unfounded due to the design of the retrospective studies that sparked the concern.

One large, controlled study recently concluded "In the largest reported cohort of COVID-19 patients to date treated with chloroquine/hydroxychloroquine {plus minus} azithromycin, no instances of TdP or arrhythmogenic death were reported. Although use of these medications resulted in QT prolongation, clinicians seldomly needed to discontinue therapy. Further study of the need for QT interval monitoring is needed before final recommendations can be made"

• Options
    DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I work for a Pharma company that specializes in respiratory issues so we are looking okay at the moment. Who knows what the future holds though. I'm on the finance side of things but our corporate conference calls are mostly focused on getting back to normal at a safe pace.

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@razorachilles This group did a good job but there are some concerns I have and they pointed out some of them in the paper.

1. There needs to be a RCT on the efficacy of CQ/HCQ in treating COVID-19. No point in administering a drug if it doesn't work.
    2. Next points deal specifically with this study. Biggest problem with this was the lack of a control group. Immediately weakens any conclusions that can be drawn.
    3. Even though its the largest study to date, it is still under-powered with only 201 patients.
    4. This was an observational study. Biggest concern with these is the introduction of bias which is hard to account for. Also makes it hard to account for confounding variables.
    5. There was a lack of patients with preexisting heart conditions which limits how these results can be applied to the general population.

I agree with their overall assessment that most people probably don't have to worry about TdP from this type of treatment. If CQ/HCQ turns out to have some effect on COVID-19, we need to know who the high risk individuals are that would require monitoring during the treatment. For example, one of the people that had to stop treatment was having to take QT prolonging drugs for preexisting conditions.

• Options

Agree on all points - particularly #1. Regarding 2 & 3, I spent much of my career in the orphan/rare disease space so I'm personally more familiar/comfortable with the concept of extrapolating study data with small enrollment - often without a placebo arm due to difficulty identifying/enrolling patients who are commonly undiagnosed due to the low prevalance for rare diseases)- but that's a different topic for a different board (!)

My point was more around people running with headlines (on all sides of the argument) but new information which might change one's position is not always applied consistently once made available (particularly if it's not reported as broadly).

Two other interesting things today:

PA has the 5th highest # of C19 fatalities in the nation to date - of those fatalities:

• Average age was 79
    • 90% of those people had at least one comorbidity of the following (hypertension, heart disease, diabetes or chronic pulmonary issues)
    • 68% of the deceased lived in nursing/assisted living facilities
  • Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2020

I agree with you on people being hesitant to change their position when presented new information. Nuance is dead, and everything is seen in black and white terms.

Covid-19 like most respiratory diseases is going to affect old people the most. Most numbers I've seen have the fatality rate for people below 40 around .1 to .3%. 40 to 49 is around .5%, 50-59 1.5%, 60-69 4%, and above that is 15%+. All of the fatality rates being reported are still crude (confirmed deaths/confirmed cases). We need to find out how many people have actually been infected with reliable serological tests and get an accurate death count. From everything I've read deaths are being under reported. We likely won't have an accurate fatality rate for a while.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

He was well loved for sure. Just one of those guys that made you feel like you were his best friend. And it's very heartwarming in these dark times

This discussion has been closed.