Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

COVID-19 Check-in

Comments

• Options
    CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Hmm, it depends. I didnt' get tested back in early March and I'd say I have 50/50 odds of having it. It wasn't the symptoms alone, but direct tracing back to how I could have gotten it (my wife was at the Marriott Long Wharf hotel from Feb 24-27 and almost all Massachusetts cases trace back to a Biogen conference at this hotel on Feb 26). I didn't get all the symptoms, but it was definitely upper respiratory. I think if someone shows symptoms and can trace back to known cases, I don't think it is such a big logical leap. Thoughts?

• Options
    Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lol, I attempted to. A week or 2 ago, or maybe it was a month ago, someone gave me a link on Twitter. Hard to watch when ya don't speak Japanese.

• Options
    LORLOR Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I would argue that informal tracing would give you more evidence that you’ve had it, but that it doesn’t then logically mean you are immune to catching it again, or catching and spreading.

• Options
    MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

LOR, you're right. That's a big assumption. But considering that I almost never get sick, (last flu was in the 90's), and combined with the fact that both the wife and I were sick around the same time for a similar period of 7-10 days, I feel fairly certain we were sick with c19.

My symptoms while mild, did persist for about a week with no respiratory issues, but I still suffered with fatigue, light-headedness, and two brief periods of low grade fever. Like I said, these symptoms did persist for about a week, just not continuously. Unlike any kind of cold or flu I ever had.

Same for the wife, she seldom gets sick. Only, her symtoms were different. No fever, but definitely had shortness of breath. Kind of scary.

So yeah, it still feels like we got sick with covid. But I guess we need to test just to be certain.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mark, I am glad your wife is okay. I respectfully request that even if confirmed immune that you/wife take account of the fact that others in the grocery store etc. are unaware that you/wife are not contagious and may experience anxiety if you don't wear masks.

• Options
    edited May 2020

Very concerned about the virus impact on WLOCP. FU defense has been practicing social distancing for 3 years now. 🤣🤣

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yesterday the US had the lowest number of new infections and deaths in a day since March. Let's hope this continues. Connecticut has seen a continual decline in hospitalizations over the past two weeks and we are set to have a limited reopening of business on May 20th.

• Options

We can but hope but tomorrow's numbers will give a better idea as to whether this is due to "Mother's Day" or a true trend.

• Options
    Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yesterday - for Mother's Day - we went back to church!!! Now, before everyone freaks the crap out, I will describe this process. Our Sanctuary seats about 2500 people. In the 11:00 service, we had approximately 150 folks there. Every other pew was closed, and the open pews had either the left or right half closed (alternating L-R-L-R). My family and I were a good distance from anyone. All doors - exterior and interior - were propped open. I touched nothing (except for a pew that smelled "clean"), and politely stayed 10-15 feet from others as we spoke. There was massive cleaning between the 9:00 and the 11:00 service with every imaginable surface wiped down. There were touchless hand-sanitizer stations all over the place. There were signs on the bathroom doors that limited the capacity for each restroom to 3 people tops. The average age attending was much lower than normal.

Needless to say, it was a very different look, but I was VERY THANKFUL to be back involved in worship with others.

Our community/county of about 300,000 sits around 340 reported cases (around 7500 cases confirmed statewide), with about 75% of these reported as "recovered." I assume that means there is pretty stringent follow-up process with these cases. Our county has reported 12 deaths associated with Covid-19. DHEC in our state still estimates there are 55,000 cases actually (350 deaths), with only 7500 confirmed. Just about a third of those fatalities were in nursing homes. Our state lags in testing pretty bad - and if you look at the socio-economic lines here (which are DRASTIC) you can see a pattern that follows general heath care trends.

Businesses cannot limit capacity like we did at church yesterday - but at least this is a step. We really need to get our testing up, I would think, to track the new cases moving forward.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,884 mod

I'd be more excited if the totals haven't been super low every Sunday for the last month. The good news is there's encouraging signs around NYC with fewer people being checked into the hospital and those in intensive care steadily (albeit slowly) going down

• Options

I think the three day rolling average is the best way to go since it can help with random fluctuations. We'll get a better idea over the next week or so if it's truly declining at a national level.

• Options

For sure. I've been wary of the weekend numbers because of that but the northeast has been seeing a decline in hospitalizations recently which gives me hope.

• Options

There are some pretty depressing analyses that show zip codes are a pretty good predictor for COVID-19 infection outcome.

• Options

fingers crossed.

and then hopefully this has taught us how to better handle the bounce back in the fall

• Options

for sure...most deaths are happening in the Bronx, Queens, and Brooklyn in NYC. The zip code in Manhattan where the fiance and I live hasn't been hit that hard.

• Options
    Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If you get some downtime (which is comical to even type), look into the differences in every measurable possible (average income, health care, test scores and teacher pay in schools, levels of education, etc.) between Upstate-Columbia-Coast of SC and the rest of SC. It is as drastic as anywhere in the country. The only difference in the metro areas where things are so bad - the only saving grace - is probably population density.

• Options

if I want to be depressed I'll just see which ones of my friends and colleagues shared the "plandemic" video instead ;)

• Options

"don't leave a hateful comment until you've watched with an open mind"

• Options
    razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2020

Data reporting has been "lumpy" (technical term), to say the least. Between weekend and Mother's Day, I assumed the low # reported yesterday would bounce back up; surprisingly - report today out of NY state is 62 deaths (was 41 yesterday). Furthermore, Cuomo's shared that NY appears to be on the back end of the bell curve - at least for this wave - in what appears to be first steps towards re-opening the state:

This discussion has been closed.