Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

COVID-19 Check-in

Comments

• Options
    razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

True this.

If nothing else, this pandemic has reminded many that we're a republic comprised of states; and with that comes the potential for 50 different approaches to managing this.

• Options
    Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fool me once...

Hopefully everyone will handle all of it MUCH better as we learn and move forward.

• Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2020

I hope your right as a self confessed (John) Lennonist. Imagine! Exception for Florida and Tennessee 🤣

• Options
    BarkingDawgBarkingDawg Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dragonslayer

I just caught up on this thread and read about your Father. Our prayers are with you and your family and we wish you well with the changes you are contemplating.

• Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It's been that way since the beginning in my area. At most, 50% of patrons in the various places I've visited wear them. In many cases that number is closer to zero. I just don't think people are going to do it unless they are convinced it is absolutely necessary. With the way this thing has been handled, I think the trust bank is pretty low. The virus hasn't hit my area very hard so maybe that contributes to the lack of caution.

• Options
    AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There's no doubt care providers should wear N-95 masks. It's much less clear whether the pros outweigh the cons for an asymptomatic person to wear a lesser mask in public. It's a personal choice. There is no right or wrong. Everyone's decision should be respected.

• Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The main Pro is that by wearing a mask you are protecting those that you come into contact with plus the front line responders that have to deal with them in event of infection. Maybe you can enlighten me as to the cons.

• Options
    dradcliffdradcliff Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Is there anything that says wearing a mask increases your chances of spreading Covid? At best wearing masks slows the spread, at worst it does not, but wearing does not increase the spread. People should show some level of respect for others. There is no reason not to wear some type of face covering other than a desire to go against what their being told.

Other that I don't want to, what are other reasons people would not wear a mask?

• Options
    CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think this is the first post of yours on this thread to which I completely disagree. I do not respect those who don't vaccinate their child because they detract from the health of all children and herd immunity (and the reasons to not vaccine are proven to be fake hoaxes). Regarding masks, if two people are wearing a mask, it is far more effective than if just one person is wearing a mask because you are stopping outflow and inflow of airborn vapor droplets.

To me, if someone is wearing a mask it is respecting not just my health, but the health of any elderly family member I may be in contact with and caring for. I have no idea how not wearing masks became a thing, but it is a terrible, evil, devilish thing to me.

And wearing a mask doesnt interfere with life. Out in California, 100% of the people in grocery stores and pharmacies wear masks (they are not allowed in otherwise) and it hasn't decimated our American freedom or values. When I go show boats, both I and the potential customer wear masks and it doesn't affect the boat showing. Texdawg must be sick of me reparroting his phrase, but it's so true, why on earth would we put at risk our freedom (and I'll add the economy and the health of our loved ones) by not being cautious and conservative and wearing a mask? It drives me bonkers. I have said over and over on this thread, why can't we take BOTH Covid19 and the economy seriously? It's easy - just wear a mask, wash hands and social distance.

• Options
    Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hear everyone here. I went to grocery store yesterday - wore a mask (and by mask, I wore a camo face gaiter with a carbon lined interior). Bout 50% of the folks did.

Now, explain to me, as the skeptical side of my brain speaks, how we are supposed to listen to the "experts" who tell is to wear a mask, when a month ago the same cats said a mask was unnecessary?

If they are 100% right today, how are we to believe that this won't change tomorrow? Too many mixed messages, from all sides. Too must distrust, and hard-earned distrust if I do say so.

I happen to think the mask issue is just common sense, but what do I know...

I also believe everyone washing thier hands, wiping stuff down, not shaking hands and not hugging (or kissing in Europe) has done wonders for flattening the curve - moreso than being stuck at home.

I have been practicing much of this for years, but my 18 yr old claims I am just anti- social...

• Options
    MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If I'm outdoors, I don't wear a mask. And if I remember correctly, you're chance of catching the virus outside is 13 times less than catching it indoors. In my car, I don't wear a mask. And I don't understand why I see people driving a car by themselves and wearing a mask.

And finally, I'm pretty sure the wife and I had the virus a couple of months ago. Me: about six days of minor symptoms with short periods of fever. Wife: a bit more concern with several days of shortness of breath. So I'm pretty sure we are both immune and can not get sick or spread it to others.

I guess if I lived in California I would be forced to wear a mask, but I think under the circumstances it would be totally unnecessary.

What's next? Are we supposed to start wearing buttons that say tested?

• Options
    Bulldawg1982Bulldawg1982 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Checking in: I'm good.

Tonight we can get some live sports. It's not college football but it beats watching Japanese baseball...

• Options
    DawgBonesDawgBones Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited May 2020
  • Options
    LORLOR Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Did you get a test saying that you were positive for covid or are you now assuming that because you were previously sick with something, that you are now immune? Chances are you’ll never catch covid, but you made a decent sized logical leap there.

• Options
    CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

One of the best quotes by one of my favorite presidents was Teddy Roosevelt saying, "I hope I can be right 75% of the time." And TR was a brilliant guy.

I can in no way explain why the WHO and the CDC and others said a mask wasn't helpful. I mean it's airborn water droplets, of course masks are going to help. I think in the early days of anything, our understanding is not immediate. But, the WHO was especially slow to embrace maks though and I dont' get it.

This discussion has been closed.