Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

COVID-19 Check-in

Comments

• Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There are incentives for people to over report just like there are incentives for people to under report. We know we don't have precise data. We can speculate all we want. Generally, the speculation will be biased to the side you lean towards. The extreme will have beliefs it is skewed greatly one way or the other. Odds are, the numbers aren't very far off of what is being reported. The models were off in many cases because of faulty data and conservative assumptions but i find it hard to believe the death toll numbers to be extremely far off. Regardless, the numbers aren't high enough nor the spread fast enough for people to remain in fear. At least not fear enough to risk financial ruin. Economies are going to get going again and that is the right call. Our hospitals are not overwhelmed. The curve has been flattened. Smart people will keep monitoring the virus in case it goes crazy with resumed activity (a good percentage of us never paused activity anyway). It seems pretty clear that this virus was not the worst case scenario some thought it was. It is a vicious virus but not as catastrophic as many predicted. Thats a huge blessing we should all be greatful for.

• Options
    flemingislanddawgflemingislanddawg Posts: 583 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So it sounds like what we are doing to slow this down is not working. What is to keep the health care system from collapsing with the economy? Also not so sure what comes out of the NY Times is gospel. Not sure who to pick to believe. I am sure there are articles out there that dispute these numbers, they even say the numbers are estimates in many places and have been corrected. Where do they get their numbers?

• Options

Starting to think Fauci has an agenda. Love to hear people comment how he went behind Obama's back to give a grant to Wuhan.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I saw that. I kind of laughed to myself and thought "well I guess that answered my question to Yale on the forums".

But... I'm beginning to think Fauci is kind of like the restaurant hostess that tells you it will be a 45min wait for a table, and then your happy when it's 15.

• Options
    Canedawg2140Canedawg2140 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well, give me a guy who is wrong sometimes - but it's an "honest wrong," meaning he looked at all the data and other information and made assumptions based on past experience and just didn't see some things coming. I will listen to that guy ALL DAY over someone with a political agenda, trying to see how they can keep their job, or how "their side" can win through all of this. Those people are HORRIBLE PEOPLE, which is 75% of the politicians talking out there right now, and 98% of the cats on TV spinning news into propaganda. Fauci has served through 5-6 of the most diverse presidential terms you could imagine - and every one of those people have nothing but respect for the guy. Personally, I will take 30 years worth of opinions of coworkers over 3 months of anything if I am forced to have an opinion.

If we are going to judge him on his track record of nailing each detail of a virus no one has ever seen before in a climate no one has ever seen before, then we are truly ass.es. Just petty morons. Rand Paul comes off looking like one when he makes the comments like he did yesterday. And more times than not we exist on the same side of things.

To make any judgements on how anyone is "handling" this unique situation right now - with about 7% of the data and information known - makes you an a.s.s. 5 years from now, read the books and the articles in Nature and Science and make your educated decision then.

Again, everyone has a right to their opinion, and has the freedom to judge how they see fit. I would prefer we just all try to work together to figure this thing out. I am ready to teach and coach again.

• Options
    RxDawgRxDawg Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yikes man. I like Fauci, I don't have anything against him and I think he's doing fine. I'm just saying I think if he's going to error, he's going to error on the safe side.

• Options
    DGDinNYCDGDinNYC Posts: 748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This is all so sad. For the families of those who have been sick, for the first responders dealing with this everyday, to the small business owners and everyone else whose livelihoods are in jeopardy. I just don't see an end to the suffering in sight.

We have a place in Maine and have been here since March 15th and the wife and I are 75% convinced we wont be going back to NYC for the next 2-3 years, if ever. None of us feels safe bringing our daughter to child care or using public transportation. It just doesn't make sense to keep carrying NYC rent and childcare costs when I already worked from home and my wife can now work from home for the next 9-12 months.

I'm not scared at all of catching the virus, however I'm still taking all the precautions and have been since we got here, but I'm really, really, really scared about the long term effects of this on the country's psyche and economy.

I hope everyone is staying positive and keeping their head above water the best they can!

• Options
    deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 1,595 mod

German kids are returning to school next week. Hopefully this is a precursor to what we will see in the states since Europe was a couple weeks ahead of the states when this all started. Also wearing a mask is really not that big of a deal. Its annoying and can get uncomfortable after wearing it all day but all in all not worth throwing a protest over. We've been in mandatory masks for over a month now and no one has lost their freedom yet.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod
    edited May 2020

I think this is a more accurate description of Fauci than "he has an agenda"

The man wants to take the proper precautions and like any doctor he is erring on the side of caution. But I think we can do this while also opening up the economy so folks can get back to work

• Options
    CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

GrayDawg, it feels to me that you think there is a group of people out there that are advocating for addressing the virus at the expense of the economy. I think this is what news sources and politicians trying to divide us want you to think. I personally am far, far more bothered with people not wearing a mask to Home Depot or a nail salon than I am with them being open. I personally feel that if we all socially distanced, wore masks, and were fanatic about hygene starting back in February and continuing to today, we wouldn't need to close nearly as much or for nearly as long or, my greatest fear, worry about closing again for a second wave or just accepting higher death rates. I am furious not at the opening, but at the cavalier attitudes towards protecting against spread. But the view that carrying about Covid19 and the economy unites us and there are powerful forces on opposing sides that do not want that to happen. Don't fall for their trap brother!

• Options
    razorachillesrazorachilles Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree - I don't think Fauci is deliberately trying to force anything for political reasons, but I do think it's fair to say that he's not infallible.

He ascended to his position largely on the back of his role as a pioneer in HIV/AIDS research, but he got some key things wrong early on in that pandemic, too (ie - stated that females can't transmit HIV to males, can't get HIV from a blood transfusion).

Do I blame him? I do not - I think he acted in good faith with the data he had available at the time...my point is that his experience is valuable, but I think it's inevitable that any public official will become more conservative rather than risk opening things up too early and subsequently opening themselves up to second-guessing when/if something goes wrong.

• Options
    DvilleDawgDvilleDawg Posts: 2,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When I was a kid I hated Walter Cronkite. If I had to be inside I sure didn't want to be watching some old guy taking up tv time with something of no interest, at least to a kid. In the past few years I have wished more than once just for one more news telecast with Walter Cronkite. At least we would be getting unbiased news.

• Options
    SupraSupra Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

Only thing I would add to this is that everything I've read says we HAVE to have better testing this time around. We dropped the ball on that the first time around.

Hopefully we can ID outbreaks early and keep from hitting that point of exponential growth. Big outbreak hit a prison here in Lexington a week or so ago... it's mostly been contained outside the prison.

I've wondered a couple times if that would have been the case when we had a fraction of the testing infrastructure a month or two ago.

• Options

You have the right to feel he is just being cautious and I just feel anyone in DC especially, if you have been there that long, has an agenda. I feel better listening to the Doctors in the trenches actually treating and seeing the patients.

• Options

You are right back at the beginning nobody was worried including Fauci and Pelosi. But they were going to close down the same amount no matter what because they didn't know what was going to happen or how many would comply. Hindsight is a great thing. Not sure what good it does for an ex-president to come on and say how bad it has been handled unless he has a political agenda. Especially one who administration was giving grants to a Lab in the area it started. I also think in February everyone was more concerned about impeachment than viruses

• Options

Just tired of hearing the whole thing of not wearing masks early enough and it being blamed on the President like he is a dictator. Where was the rest of the government? Dr Fauci himself as late as 3/8 and 3/9 was saying masks were ineffective and don't worry go on cruises. Cuomo was telling people to get out and use public transportation and Pelosi said don't worry as she walked around China Town in San Francisco. Fauci is being cautious like any other Dr would be???? Not so much a couple months ago and was he not advising the President?

• Options
    GrayDawgGrayDawg Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I appreciate your concern. I can understand why you get upset at people who don't wear masks. I don't get upset about it. Maybe I would if I were back in California (my home state) where the population is much more dense than my current home. I doubt it though. It just isn't my personality. I'm not sure what trap you think I'm falling for. I respect your opinion enough not to tell you you're being duped. I believe you've made an educated decision. I believe I have too. Isn't that enough without insinuating one is a lemming?

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod
    edited May 2020

I think the president minimizing the risk and calling it the latest "hoax" for the entire month of February was just as problematic for the spread of this virus. It gave people a false level of comfort. Hindsight of course. Looks like everything in life, there is blame to go around ON BOTH SIDES, many good people on both sides messed up.

I trust what the doctor says, but also don't find him infallible either

This discussion has been closed.