Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

What Braves should do now...

Comments

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@christopherules said:
    @WCDawg yes, I remember my favorite player on many of those woeful teams & Fulton County’s “launching pad” was Dale Murphy. Thought (at that time) he was a certain HOF player. Shows how much (as a kid) that I knew? Not much has changed in that dept. I still don’t know much, just way older. Haha!

Too bad how things go sometimes. Dale Murphy was truly a GREAT Atlanta Braves player. One of the BEST to ever wear the uniform in Atlanta IMHO.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@christopherules said:

@christopherules said:
    @WCDawg yes, I remember my favorite player on many of those woeful teams & Fulton County’s “launching pad” was Dale Murphy. Thought (at that time) he was a certain HOF player. Shows how much (as a kid) that I knew? Not much has changed in that dept. I still don’t know much, just way older. Haha!

Too bad how things go sometimes. Dale Murphy was truly a GREAT Atlanta Braves player. One of the BEST to ever wear the uniform in Atlanta IMHO.

He's probably my all time favorite Mormon.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2018

@WCDawg said:

@christopherules said:

@christopherules said:

I never knew that?

• Options

@christopherules said:

@WCDawg said:

@christopherules said:

@christopherules said:

I never knew that?

As devout as they come.

• Options
    BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@christopherules said:

@christopherules said:

Nah, I gotta go with Jim Mcmahon, oh wait.....

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited June 2018

@Bigcalidawg said:

@christopherules said:

I agree. There was about a 3 year stretch there where Murph and Andre Dawson were the most dynamic offensive threats in the NL. Man, Murph had a cannon.

Do you recall when he was a catcher and couldn’t make the throw to 2nd? It kept going to CF so they put him out there and the rest is, as they say....

• Options
    edited June 2018

@donm said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

@christopherules said:

I agree. There was about a 3 year stretch there where Murph and Andre Dawson were the most dynamic offensive threats in the NL. Man, Murph had a cannon.

Do you recall when he was a catcher and couldn’t make the throw to 2nd? It kept going to CF so they put him out there and the rest is, as they say....

I do, but I hadn't thought about it in years. He had the yips, not quite Steve Sacks bad, but bad enough to chase him from cathing.

• Options
    LD10LD10 Posts: 434 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Ender is a great defensive player but is inconsistent as a hitter. Why is Fhlarty on the team, terrible pinch hitter and I do not recall a big hit from him this year. FReddie needs a day off to have his eyes checked. He has struck out 17 times in last 8 games. Need not say anything about bullpen. Braves will need to make moves to contend or finish .500.

• Options
    coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree @LD10, Flaharety is killing us pinch hitting, think we have to live with him till we find another utility infielder. We have to replace Sam Freeman and Moylan in the bullpen if we have any hope of competing for playoff.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@LD10 said:
    Ender is a great defensive player but is inconsistent as a hitter. Why is Fhlarty on the team, terrible pinch hitter and I do not recall a big hit from him this year. FReddie needs a day off to have his eyes checked. He has struck out 17 times in last 8 games. Need not say anything about bullpen. Braves will need to make moves to contend or finish .500.

Enciarte is not inconsistent IMHO. He got off to a slow start this year but has in other years as well. His history shows he usually has a better second half. He’s already raised his average to near .250. I’m confident he’ll be back to his lifetime average by season’s end. He is, indeed, a great defensive outfielder. Good luck getting Freddie to rest. I don’t understand why they don’t just sit him a game or two. Just don’t put his name on the lineup card.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just don’t trade the farm for a reliever or two. I’m all for fizzing out this year, and keeping the future (aka young talent) intact if a fair trade doesn’t present itself.

• Options
    orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Braves have to get bullpen help and a solid closer.

• Options

We had no idea we would have made the playoffs.....

• Options
    RDDawgRDDawg Posts: 235 ✭✭✭ Junior

2018 was a fluke, they won’t be in the 2019 post season

• Options
    edited December 2018

@Red_N_Black said:

@RDDawg said:
    2018 was a fluke, they won’t be in the 2019 post season

Baseball is without a doubt the most fair and honest sport we have. After playing for 6 months, over 2400 games with over 22,000 innings and half a million pitches, baseball determined who deserved to be in the playoffs and who didn't. There are no flukes in baseball. The Braves were in the playoffs last season because they fully deserved to be in the playoffs.

There's a reason MLB seasons are referred to as campaigns. Football is about intense battles, MLB is about a long campaign of attrition and perseverance.
    This is a good point to admit I expected the team to fade because it was thin in some areas and the pen was overused, it persevered though.

• Options

It’s rare to have seasons like that from Acuña, Albies, and Camargo at such an early stage of their careers.

Next year the pitchers will shine and we have experience going into postseason.

Hopefully, we either resign Nicky, or commit to playing Charlie and Johan in the outfield.

• Options
    KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2018

@Bigcalidawg said:

Hopefully, we either resign Nicky, or commit to playing Charlie and Johan in the outfield.

These are not very appealing outfield options. I’m hoping for a splashy trade for corner outfield.

• Options

I don’t mind, but I love this team. Freddie, Ozzie, Josh, Ronnie, Folty, Johan, Newk, Toukki, are all off limits. We have like 4 other young starters I might protect, as well.

• Options
    TMazz2009TMazz2009 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Still need relief pitching....

Lineup looks good....really good even. Will miss Suzuki....he was a solid hitter as a back up catcher and pinch hitter. Need to fill that hole cause Lord knows you need a capable bat on the bench in the National League.

Starting pitching is young. Some growing pains there but we gotta get some bullpen help or it will be tough to beat those elite 4 or 5 teams in the playoffs.

But this team is fun to watch. That's half the battle is fielding and exciting product. Something the Hawks need to figure out. Get RJ or Zion and people will come.