Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

The Braves traded 3 good prospects for a .205 hitter...

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kirbstomper said:
    Haha let’s keep the personal attacks to a minimum man :). Losing the argument isn’t a big deal you don’t gotta get mad. And yeah his OBP of around 300 isn’t great, but I’m not claiming him to be the next MVP lol. Also his 2016-2017 OBP is right there in the range of where dansby ender and Suzuki are this year. Even albies OBP is only .313, marginally better than .300!!

And again, OBP is not the best indicator of offensive production anyway. In 2016 and 2017 he hit way better than Swanson, enciarte and Suzuki have this year. So if you’re going to yell at people for killing our rallies you now have lots of options.

So again, we basically got a decent cost controlled right handed bench bat with some power/ a platoon starter for a bag of balls and some sunflower seeds! He’s not gonna be the reason we win the World Series but it was a decent move that makes us slightly better this year.

Losing an argument t you ? not likely.

• Options

@MacDawg15 said:

@Kirbstomper said:
    We gave up essentially nothing for a right handed platoon bat, the sky isn't falling man.

This is what I tried getting across to ppl because none of the other 3 were in the future plans for the Braves. Sooner or later he'll drop a few bombs and even if one is enough to pull out a W where it otherwise would have been a loss; then the trade was worth it.

You seem to not understand net gain vs net loss.
    If he is unproductive in 18 at bats, then hits a HR, he's still a HUGE net negative because you're losing all of the hits just a decent contact hitter would have given you from those 18 wasted at bats. You need to grasp the fact those few home runs will be anything but free.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:
    I didn’t expect Duvall to be a starter. Just expected him to bat above .200. Didn’t know that was too much to ask from a major leaguer. But now I know, just because he gets out all the time he is way better than that. All those unproductive outs are actually good... PS: I believe in many of the advanced metrics/stats, like bunting, pitchouts, intentional walks are more harmful than good, etc. etc... also, I know Duvall has one more year on his deal, but Tucker who was traded away beats Duvall in all your important stats you listed.

Not in ML career stats, I don't think. Certainly not in power #'s. Somewhere it was stated earlier that he had averaged a lot of HR's in the past 2-3 years, excluding this year. Plus he's a well above average defensive OF guy. Just sayin'.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@Teddy said:
    I didn’t expect Duvall to be a starter. Just expected him to bat above .200. Didn’t know that was too much to ask from a major leaguer. But now I know, just because he gets out all the time he is way better than that. All those unproductive outs are actually good... PS: I believe in many of the advanced metrics/stats, like bunting, pitchouts, intentional walks are more harmful than good, etc. etc... also, I know Duvall has one more year on his deal, but Tucker who was traded away beats Duvall in all your important stats you listed.

Not in ML career stats, I don't think. Certainly not in power #'s. Somewhere it was stated earlier that he had averaged a lot of HR's in the past 2-3 years, excluding this year. Plus he's a well above average defensive OF guy. Just sayin'.

He's had two good years when it comes to HRs, and it was his first two full seasons. Not sure if he's like Francoeur, and the league just figured him out? I hope he figures it out and becomes an asset. But I'm merely talking about his current play, as that's what matters the most. I'm sure he's working hard on it, but still hoping to see actual results. Next year is a contract year, so I'm sure he'll be working his tail off. Speaking of contract years, I wonder what Markakis is going to ask for?

• Options

@Teddy said:

@donm said:

@Teddy said:

He's had two good years when it comes to HRs, and it was his first two full seasons. Not sure if he's like Francoeur, and the league just figured him out? I hope he figures it out and becomes an asset. But I'm merely talking about his current play, as that's what matters the most. I'm sure he's working hard on it, but still hoping to see actual results. Next year is a contract year, so I'm sure he'll be working his tail off. Speaking of contract years, I wonder what Markakis is going to ask for?

Boy, Markakis. That's a tough one. Career year but he is getting a bit long in the tooth. How many years will he want? 2? 3? 4? they've got Pache' getting closer to ML ready down on the farm. Maybe trade NM? Surely there would be some takers after the year he's having. Sounds crazy to trade a MVP candidate, but it's a business, right? Tough call.

• Options
    KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@Kirbstomper said:
    We gave up essentially nothing for a right handed platoon bat, the sky isn't falling man.

This is what I tried getting across to ppl because none of the other 3 were in the future plans for the Braves. Sooner or later he'll drop a few bombs and even if one is enough to pull out a W where it otherwise would have been a loss; then the trade was worth it.

If he is unproductive in 18 at bats, then hits a HR, he's still a HUGE net negative because you're losing all of the hits just a decent contact hitter would have given you from those 18 wasted at bats. You need to grasp the fact those few home runs will be anything but free.

Haha how many singles do you think a hr is worth? How many doubles? These things have actually been calculated and tabulated. Net gain vs net loss isn’t a mystery there are stats for it and I’ve even shown you what they are :). Yeah 1-18 with a hr is not a good hitter if that’s what he averages haha.

You can disagree with my stance that he is a meh MLB player but you shouldn’t disagree with math

• Options

Anyway if you ever want to learn more about baseball and the braves head on over to talking chop! Real knowledgeable user base and everybody is a big braves fan. You’ll be able to learn even more and hear from people that know more than me!

• Options

@donm said:

@Teddy said:

@donm said:

@Teddy said:

Boy, Markakis. That's a tough one. Career year but he is getting a bit long in the tooth. How many years will he want? 2? 3? 4? they've got Pache' getting closer to ML ready down on the farm. Maybe trade NM? Surely there would be some takers after the year he's having. Sounds crazy to trade a MVP candidate, but it's a business, right? Tough call.

You can’t trade Markakis. Trade deadline has passed.

• Options

@Kirbstomper said:

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@Kirbstomper said:

Haha how many singles do you think a hr is worth? How many doubles? These things have actually been calculated and tabulated. Net gain vs net loss isn’t a mystery there are stats for it and I’ve even shown you what they are :). Yeah 1-18 with a hr is not a good hitter if that’s what he averages haha.

You can disagree with my stance that he is a meh MLB player but you shouldn’t disagree with math

A hr affects 1 game at best, and you still sometimes lose that game. A very low percentage hitter is a lineup killer.
    I won't debate that point longer though, everybody with common sense understands as much.

• Options

@Teddy said:

@donm said:

@Teddy said:

@donm said:

@Teddy said:

There are exceptions, but you wouldn't trade him when you're still very much in the playoff picture anyway.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@donm said:

@Teddy said:

@donm said:

@Teddy said:

There are exceptions, but you wouldn't trade him when you're still very much in the playoff picture anyway.

You’d have to put him on waivers, then the worst record team that claims him gets him. Wouldn’t make any sense when you’re in the push for a playoffs.

• Options
    edited August 2018

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@donm said:

@Teddy said:

@donm said:

@Teddy said:

You’d have to put him on waivers, then the worst record team that claims him gets him. Wouldn’t make any sense when you’re in the push for a playoffs.

I'll have to look into it, but later season trades do happen with players going to contenders.
    Again, I don't know the ins and outs on how they can be managed.
    PS. A quick check shows Jason Verlander was traded to Houston at the end of August last season. That trade should provide the answers as to the method and rules involved in trades to contenders this time of year.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@donm said:

@Teddy said:

@donm said:

@Teddy said:

I'll have to look into it, but later season trades do happen with players going to contenders.

I could see bad teams not even worrying about claiming him since they have no chance, and his contract is up after the season. Then he could fall to a contender.

• Options

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@donm said:

@Teddy said:

@donm said:

@Teddy said:

I could see bad teams not even worrying about claiming him since they have no chance, and his contract is up after the season. Then he could fall to a contender.

The Verlander trade from Detriot to Houston last season was a fairly intricate 2 team trade made on the last day of August.
    If a trade is made past August the traded players are not eligible for the postseason.

• Options

@Teddy said:

@donm said:

@Teddy said:

@donm said:

@Teddy said:

off season trade.

• Options
    edited August 2018

A hr affects 1 game at best, and you still sometimes lose that game. A very low percentage hitter is a lineup killer.
    I won't debate that point longer though, everybody with common sense understands as much.

Yes, and we well know that singles and doubles are carried over into the next game and you're guaranteed a victory if you amass 10 singles. You're literally great keep these coming my friends and I can't stop laughing. Like I know it's a troll job but it's worth it to feed you.

• Options

@donm said:

@Teddy said:

@donm said:

@Teddy said:

@donm said:

@Teddy said:

off season trade.

He’s a free agent after this season.

• Options

Why would a contending Braves team trade Markakis? Then we would have to see Duvall hit against RHP too!

• Options
    MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

@Kirbstomper said:

Dude it does no good trying to get thru to you. You could be looking at the answer book for a test and argue with it. WHAT WERE THE 3 WE TRADED DOING TO PUT UP WINS FOR THE ATLANTA BRAVES? Not Gwinett.. I played pro ball and ran an academy for a decade and your telling me I don't know how this stuff works? Who was your 1st pro hit off of? What hs records do you still have 17 years later? IMO Ender has came around lately hitting lefty's almost as good as righties. So IF it was up to me Duvall would simply be a right handed bat off the bench! But I know baseball if I know anything, so bite me if you don't like my opinion! We all have different one's, but for some reason you think people value hearing your's more... This is a forum to put your opinions, not tell people what you think of their's! PPl aren't kidding when they msg ya and say that dude is clueless and will find something to argue about with everybody! When you get 4 of those about the same guy, that should say something. Us DAWG fans that enjoy getting on here to give different ways to look at something gets ruined because some ppl like you put on your war paint and login and think YOUR opinion is special and is ALWAYS correct!

• Options

@Kirbstomper said:

Yes, and we well know that singles and doubles are carried over into the next game and you're guaranteed a victory if you amass 10 singles. You're literally great keep these coming my friends and I can't stop laughing. Like I know it's a troll job but it's worth it to feed you.

You're hopeless when it comes to statistical evaluation.