Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

The Braves traded 3 good prospects for a .205 hitter...

Comments

• Options
    KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:

@Kirbstomper said:
    Also, while yeah his advanced metrics are bad (WRC+ is what I'm referring to) his wOBA is significantly lower than his xWOBA. This implies he has had some bad luck with balls in play this season, and is due for some positive regression.

Seems like you're just getting mad to be mad lol.

I merely posted his stats. How is that being mad?

Sorry man, reply fail. I thought this was a new thread and everyone is acting like sims or wisler were ever going to be better than replacement level and that we only did this to save money

• Options
    RDDawgRDDawg Posts: 235 ✭✭✭ Junior

With all the pitchers they have acquired over the last 3 or 4 years, they should not be looking for pitching. Several of these top prospects they got in return for established MLB players have not panned out. I question the scouting staff.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

@RDDawg said:
    With all the pitchers they have acquired over the last 3 or 4 years, they should not be looking for pitching. Several of these top prospects they got in return for established MLB players have not panned out. I question the scouting staff.

Think it’s a might early to give up on most of those prospects including Folty and Newcombe. I recall a couple of guys named Glavine and Smoltz who didn’t set the world on fire right off the bat.

• Options

@RDDawg said:

That is just how prospects work though, they don’t work out a bunch of the time. I don’t have any metrics on whether the scouting and development staff is doing any better or worse than league average, but my gut feels like they are doing fine. But yeah, a lot of the trades they made when they were initially selling their proven players were not my favorite (the Simmons for newk trade still bugs me grrrr).

Pitching prospects are especially volatile though. You can definitely question whether rebuilding with high school arms was the right move, but the fact that many of them would end up not being good MLB pitchers was probably already factored into the decision. Most of the teams who have had successful rebuilds lately did it with bats though, and hitting prospects have more value than equally talented pitching prospects in terms of a trade too...so idk why they decided to jump on high school arms so heavy.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:

@Kirbstomper said:
    Also, while yeah his advanced metrics are bad (WRC+ is what I'm referring to) his wOBA is significantly lower than his xWOBA. This implies he has had some bad luck with balls in play this season, and is due for some positive regression.

Seems like you're just getting mad to be mad lol.

I merely posted his stats. How is that being mad?

It was at best a near worthless trade.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg does this mean that they (Braves front office) are kind of like giving up on this season? Or are they just bumbling?

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@christopherules said:
    @WCDawg does this mean that they (Braves front office) are kind of like giving up on this season? Or are they just bumbling?

I don’t think they’re giving up. Just didn’t have the $$ to get a Machado type player. But just weird they got a .200 hitter who strikes out a ton. Seems they could’ve found a .250 batter. Guess they were hoping a change of scenery would help Duvall, hasn’t panned out so far. Hope he proves me wrong in the long run.

• Options

@Teddy said:

@christopherules said:

I don’t think they’re giving up. Just didn’t have the $$ to get a Machado type player. But just weird they got a .200 hitter who strikes out a ton. Seems they could’ve found a .250 batter. Guess they were hoping a change of scenery would help Duvall, hasn’t panned out so far. Hope he proves me wrong in the long run.

Guys, batting average is not a good measurement of offensive production. Dansby is hitting around 240 and Duvall 200, but us nerds would tell you Duvall has produced about 5% better than dansby offensively. Don’t get so caught up in the batting average, it’s a dated stat.

And yeah WC, that’s really what most people see it as. A non big deal trade that probably helps us a marginal amount and we didn’t really give up any players that were of significant value. This wasn’t a “going for it” type of move.

• Options

@Teddy said:

@christopherules said:

This is not The NBA, there are no hard caps.
    The team didn't have money because Liberty has them on a short financial leash.

• Options
    edited August 2018

@christopherules said:

It's all about Liberty Media in my opinion.
    Duvall came very CHEAP dollar wise.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@christopherules said:

You do realize we added payroll with the trade right

• Options
    edited August 2018

@Kirbstomper said:

@WCDawg said:

@christopherules said:

You do realize we added payroll with the trade right

They took on payroll on paper, but Duvall cost next to nothing.

Duvall, which will be actual cost makes under 700K. Kemp, whose cost will be a write off for Liberty is smoke and mirrors.
    Liberty literally made more on the team in a tax write off the year of the purchase than they paid for The Braves.
    Do you think Liberty took on Kemp's salary out of generosity ?

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@Teddy said:

@christopherules said:

This is not The NBA, there are no hard caps.
    The team didn't have money because Liberty has them on a short financial leash.

That’s basically what I meant, the Braves don’t spend big bucks.

• Options

Yeah he’s cheap, that’s a good thing in building a team with finite resources haha. If he costed us 10M a year then we probably wouldn’t have made the move because then his contract would likely be higher than his production.

And Liberty isnt going to inject cash into the braves payroll. So unless ted turner wants to buy the team back we can only work with the money we make. The good news is that we should have a bunch of it to spend this off season though, and if their major targets are Adam Duvall types I’ll be screaming right there with you.

• Options

@Kirbstomper said:
    Yeah he’s cheap, that’s a good thing in building a team with finite resources haha. If he costed us 10M a year then we probably wouldn’t have made the move because then his contract would likely be higher than his production.

And Liberty isnt going to inject cash into the braves payroll. So unless ted turner wants to buy the team back we can only work with the money we make. The good news is that we should have a bunch of it to spend this off season though, and if their major targets are Adam Duvall types I’ll be screaming right there with you.

It wasn't time to spend big, but there were many moves in the 2 to 5 million range that would have stood a chance at actually improving the team this season. They went for the absolute cheapest relievers and a 205 hitter who makes close to the minimum. Those were not baseball decisions, they were bean counter moves.

• Options

@Kirbstomper said:

@Teddy said:

@christopherules said:

Guys, batting average is not a good measurement of offensive production. Dansby is hitting around 240 and Duvall 200, but us nerds would tell you Duvall has produced about 5% better than dansby offensively. Don’t get so caught up in the batting average, it’s a dated stat.

And yeah WC, that’s really what most people see it as. A non big deal trade that probably helps us a marginal amount and we didn’t really give up any players that were of significant value. This wasn’t a “going for it” type of move.

I understand there’s advanced stats measuring success. But BA does tell us how often they get on base (outside walks, HBP, etc), which is a fairly crucial metric. What stat is Duvall 5% better? And Dansby hasn’t panned out at the plate, he’s in for his defense.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@Teddy said:

@christopherules said:

I understand there’s advanced stats measuring success. But BA does tell us how often they get on base (outside walks, HBP, etc), which is a fairly crucial metric. What stat is Duvall 5% better? And Dansby hasn’t panned out at the plate, he’s in for his defense.

I'm beginning to wonder if Dansby is the answer at SS. He only seems to hit when it's the 7th inning or later.

• Options

@Teddy said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@Teddy said:

@christopherules said:

His OBP is atrocious as well.

• Options

@donm said:

@Teddy said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@Teddy said:

@christopherules said:

I'm beginning to wonder if Dansby is the answer at SS. He only seems to hit when it's the 7th inning or later.

I wish Chipper could instill patience, calmness and focus into the kid. He is often borderline spastic at the plate.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

His OBP is atrocious as well.

All his stats are horrible besides homeruns. He reminds me of an aging Uggla. Possibly losing bat speed, so he’s an all or nothing swinger