Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Chip's article on Smart and Media

Comments

• Options
    umoonerumooner Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

@umooner said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:
    Smart's reaction when asked if people saw the practice seems telling. He switched to they aren't a problem, to focus on reporters, he was being disingenuous. He was mad about being asked a question and made a suggestion about something he was clearly wrong about. No media outlet was reporting the injury prior to the presser, it came from the gentrified folks who got to watch practice in exchange for cash.
    So 1100 schmos can watch, but not reporters.
    Some you are humbling yourselves below ''boosters''. This is not what CBF has been about since it's inception. The game is being handed to the money men. Bama is actually reducing stadium capacity to make room for 3000 seats for the gentry set.

Back to the point. So Kirby can make a false claim, then retreat when he realizes it was probably people who are allowed to watch who spilled the beans, not reporters.

I don't think apologizing for making a mistake is a bad thing. Au contraire.

He didn't apologize, at least not during the presser, he just changed the subject and sort of pretended he meant something else.

Apparently, he apologized off camera.

@jarred_buck said:

@WCDawg said:

@JayDog said:
    The information surrounding Zamir's first ACL was that it was not so severe that he couldn't walk around on it for a couple of days before questioning it. What I remember was folks were optimistic he could return by the start of the season. When fall camp began he was "full go" which means the brace was a precaution. The doctors cleared Zamir to play and media reports said he seemed to be fine.

Given this, what was the point of the question about Zamir being on punt returns? I understand why Kirby reacted as he did. The question implies Zamir should not have been playing special teams. It implies someone made a mistake playing him. The player had the go ahead. Why shouldn't he play on punt coverage?

Zamir probably shouldn't have been playing gunner on a punt return just 8 months after surgery, there is little to no upside, huge downside.
    As for the brace, I've had femoral nerve constriction on my left side for 13 years. It causes pain and numbness down my left leg into the foot. When I'm on uneven ground it's not the left leg and knee that usually gets sprained though, it is the right side. We compensate by shifting weight and balance away from weakness and injury, that should have been considered with White wearing a brace, which in itself causes altered mechanics.

I’ll email Ron Courson and ask him to resign so that you can fill in. If kirby makes another mistake like this, you’ll be able to take over for him too.

I don't always agree with WCDawg or how he approaches thing, but he's got a good head on his shoulders. You are allowed to criticize people even if they have more knowledge than you on a subject, because people make mistakes and are always learning. . .especially in the field of medicine. Hindsight is obviously 20/20, but I do wonder if Zamir shouldn't have been held out of contact a bit longer. There's a lot of evidence that knee injuries in the "good knee" often occur after a recovery from an injury in the other knee. Even if his knee was structurally perfect, one could argue that his brain was still favoring the other one.

Just to be clear, I don't fault Courson or Smart, and I think both are great at their jobs. That doesn't mean that they don't make mistakes or shouldn't reevaluate certain positions they have taken. H e l l, in a different setting, Kirby just argued how one always has to be willing to self-examine and reevaluate and adjust. That applies in everything, not just in schematic football.

Was it not the other leg? If so, this being cleared crap is just that, crap.

You seem to be missing a lot of today's conversation.

Nah, you just seem to be doing what you do best, nothing. I went and looked just to make sure and it was the other knee. So I ask again Dr. Wc, since it was the other knee, how is you argument about him practicing relevant?

See my above post.

"Overall, 29.5 percent of athletes suffered a second ACL injury within two years of returning to sports, with 9 percent re-injuring the same knee and 20.5 percent suffering an injury to the opposite knee."

• Options
    BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@umooner said:

@BamaDawg said:

@umooner said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:
    Smart's reaction when asked if people saw the practice seems telling. He switched to they aren't a problem, to focus on reporters, he was being disingenuous. He was mad about being asked a question and made a suggestion about something he was clearly wrong about. No media outlet was reporting the injury prior to the presser, it came from the gentrified folks who got to watch practice in exchange for cash.
    Some you are humbling yourselves below ''boosters''. This is not what CBF has been about since it's inception. The game is being handed to the money men. Bama is actually reducing stadium capacity to make room for 3000 seats for the gentry set.

Back to the point. So Kirby can make a false claim, then retreat when he realizes it was probably people who are allowed to watch who spilled the beans, not reporters.

He didn't apologize, at least not during the presser, he just changed the subject and sort of pretended he meant something else.

@jarred_buck said:

@WCDawg said:

@JayDog said:
    The information surrounding Zamir's first ACL was that it was not so severe that he couldn't walk around on it for a couple of days before questioning it. What I remember was folks were optimistic he could return by the start of the season. When fall camp began he was "full go" which means the brace was a precaution. The doctors cleared Zamir to play and media reports said he seemed to be fine.

Given this, what was the point of the question about Zamir being on punt returns? I understand why Kirby reacted as he did. The question implies Zamir should not have been playing special teams. It implies someone made a mistake playing him. The player had the go ahead. Why shouldn't he play on punt coverage?

Zamir probably shouldn't have been playing gunner on a punt return just 8 months after surgery, there is little to no upside, huge downside.
    As for the brace, I've had femoral nerve constriction on my left side for 13 years. It causes pain and numbness down my left leg into the foot. When I'm on uneven ground it's not the left leg and knee that usually gets sprained though, it is the right side. We compensate by shifting weight and balance away from weakness and injury, that should have been considered with White wearing a brace, which in itself causes altered mechanics.

I’ll email Ron Courson and ask him to resign so that you can fill in. If kirby makes another mistake like this, you’ll be able to take over for him too.

I don't always agree with WCDawg or how he approaches thing, but he's got a good head on his shoulders. You are allowed to criticize people even if they have more knowledge than you on a subject, because people make mistakes and are always learning. . .especially in the field of medicine. Hindsight is obviously 20/20, but I do wonder if Zamir shouldn't have been held out of contact a bit longer. There's a lot of evidence that knee injuries in the "good knee" often occur after a recovery from an injury in the other knee. Even if his knee was structurally perfect, one could argue that his brain was still favoring the other one.

Just to be clear, I don't fault Courson or Smart, and I think both are great at their jobs. That doesn't mean that they don't make mistakes or shouldn't reevaluate certain positions they have taken. H e l l, in a different setting, Kirby just argued how one always has to be willing to self-examine and reevaluate and adjust. That applies in everything, not just in schematic football.

Again with the "crap" comment.

https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20130711/after-acl-surgery-another-knee-injury-likely-study-suggests

This is a real thing. It has to do with how your brain takes a while to start trusting your injured knee again.

Again, I'm not saying that they necessarily made a mistake, but I do think they might reevaluate how they do things in the future.

Crap is just a term I use, no offense meant. That is an interesting article, didn't know there was a study out there. I can understand the thought process of possibly injuring something else due to favoring another part of your body. But he was injured without any contact during punt coverage. Kirby even said no one else was around him. So he basically hurt himself running down the field.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,882 mod

@levander said:
    I don’t know why we need to hear from the players so much. I’ve seen like Sentell do in-depth interviews that were good, very occasionally. And who was the kid Chip went out to I think it was Missouri to do a piece on? He was a recruiting target that ended up not coming to UGA.

But all they usually say in those little spot appearances is like, “iron sharpens iron” or “wow we’ve been working hard!l

It’s rare they say anything of any import.

Well, during the season it’s rare. On the recruiting trail is different because they’re trying to make a decision. And people want to know what they’re thinking about that decision.

Probably the best things they’ll comment on during the season is how a specific play went. Like the time Fromm was talking about how he handed Swift the ball and Swift ran the wrong way. But quotes like that are rare compared to what the players usually say.

Overall I liked Chip’s article though. I had no idea Kirby has strayed so far from industry guidelines.

These guys are reporters first, writers second. No offense, but Sentell has the best grasp on the turn of phrase. Emerson was pretty good at making reports interesting with a little snark and humor thrown in.

The great sportswriters out there like Wright Thompson and Jordan Ritter Conn have better prose and probably take better whacks at stories like that

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@BamaDawg said:

@umooner said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@jarred_buck said:

@WCDawg said:

@JayDog said:

Nah, you just seem to be doing what you do best, nothing. I went and looked just to make sure and it was the other knee. So I ask again Dr. Wc, since it was the other knee, how is you argument about him practicing relevant?

I won't go back over today's conversation for you.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BamaDawg said:

@umooner said:

@BamaDawg said:

@umooner said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@jarred_buck said:

@WCDawg said:

@JayDog said:

https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20130711/after-acl-surgery-another-knee-injury-likely-study-suggests

This is a real thing. It has to do with how your brain takes a while to start trusting your injured knee again.

Again, I'm not saying that they necessarily made a mistake, but I do think they might reevaluate how they do things in the future.

Crap is just a term I use, no offense meant. That is an interesting article, didn't know there was a study out there. I can understand the thought process of possibly injuring something else due to favoring another part of your body. But he was injured without any contact during punt coverage. Kirby even said no one else was around him. So he basically hurt himself running down the field.

Not exactly true. I think KS said he was “tied up”with another player -forget the name. Don’t think he was alone running down the field.

• Options

undefined

@donm said:

@BamaDawg said:

@umooner said:

@BamaDawg said:

@umooner said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@jarred_buck said:

@WCDawg said:

@JayDog said:

Not exactly true. I think KS said he was “tied up”with another player -forget the name. Don’t think he was alone running down the field.

I think Webb was the player White got tangled up with. It seems odd it's been called a non-contact injury.

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:
    undefined

@donm said:

@BamaDawg said:

@umooner said:

@BamaDawg said:

@umooner said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@jarred_buck said:

@WCDawg said:

@JayDog said:

I think Webb was the player White got tangled up with. It seems odd it's been called a non-contact injury.

No contact with the knee that was injured, obviously.

• Options
    BigDawgEatinBigDawgEatin Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Knee reinjury after ACL reconstruction is common and increases the risk of osteoarthritis. There is sparse evidence to guide return to sport (RTS) decisions in this population.

Returning to level I sports after ACL reconstruction leads to a more than 4-fold increase in reinjury rates over 2 years. RTS 9 months or later after surgery and more symmetrical quadriceps strength prior to return substantially reduce the reinjury rate.

• Options

@donm said:

@BamaDawg said:

@umooner said:

@BamaDawg said:

@umooner said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@jarred_buck said:

@WCDawg said:

@JayDog said:

My bad, you are correct. I only read one paragraph. Kirby did say says that there was really no one around, but then says Samir and Webb were kind of hold each other up. It's on the 2nd paragraph down.

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/georgia-football-injury-report-rb-zamir-white-torn-acl-others-sidelined

• Options
    BigDawgEatinBigDawgEatin Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The results of this prospective case–control study indicate an increased rate of second ACL injury (contralateral or graft re-tear) in the first 12 months after ACLR and RTS when compared with a healthy referent population in pivoting and cutting sports.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

Thank God. Not for sure I could take the ramblings of a 3rd grader any more.

However. I will say that your ability to change directions when proven wrong is way above your reading comprehension skills.

• Options
    dawgbybirthdawgbybirth Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Unfortunate that we have to talk about this at all and Zeus got hurt. Kirby will adjust appropriately. Many thanks to the big donors , hopefully we can respect and make sure to give plenty of time and space to contact the family members. I am sure the contact happens pretty fast and thoughtfully.
    Zeus is up to the challange, no better place to rehab, and give the needed support.

• Options

@levander said:

@WCDawg said:
    undefined

@donm said:

@BamaDawg said:

@umooner said:

@BamaDawg said:

@umooner said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@jarred_buck said:

@WCDawg said:

@JayDog said:

No contact with the knee that was injured, obviously.

How often is a knee directly hit when it's torn ? Usually it's twisted, pinned, bent, etc, without taking a direct hit.

• Options

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

However. I will say that your ability to change directions when proven wrong is way above your reading comprehension skills.

I haven't been proven wrong Einstein, you're pulling that from your arse. Do you even know what it is he wants me to rehash ? cause off the top of my head I don't. I do know it's the gist of what has been gone over numerous times though.
    You're more about tossing out insults without substance.

• Options

@Kasey said:

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

Don’t forget the straight ignoring tactic too

Tell us about another rassler !

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

You remind me of Mr. Perfect or "The Genius" Lanny Poffo....not sure which yet.

• Options
    dawgy10dawgy10 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What did chip expect to get out this article? A boycott off uga football? If chip left dawgnation tommorrow no one would care. Go dawgs, gata kirby

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

You remind me of Mr. Perfect or "The Genius" Lanny Poffo....not sure which yet.

I call myself Sonny Stunning on my dating profile.
    If I was to go rasslin, that would be name ring name.

Sounds like a true jabroni