Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Chip's article on Smart and Media

Comments

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

Smart's reaction when asked if people saw the practice seems telling. He switched to they aren't a problem, to focus on reporters, he was being disingenuous. He was mad about being asked a question and made a suggestion about something he was clearly wrong about. No media outlet was reporting the injury prior to the presser, it came from the gentrified folks who got to watch practice in exchange for cash.
    So 1100 schmos can watch, but not reporters.
    Some you are humbling yourselves below ''boosters''. This is not what CBF has been about since it's inception. The game is being handed to the money men. Bama is actually reducing stadium capacity to make room for 3000 seats for the gentry set.

Back to the point. So Kirby can make a false claim, then retreat when he realizes it was probably people who are allowed to watch who spilled the beans, not reporters.

I don't think apologizing for making a mistake is a bad thing. Au contraire.

He didn't apologize, at least not during the presser, he just changed the subject and sort of pretended he meant something else.

Apparently, he apologized off camera.

The information surrounding Zamir's first ACL was that it was not so severe that he couldn't walk around on it for a couple of days before questioning it. What I remember was folks were optimistic he could return by the start of the season. When fall camp began he was "full go" which means the brace was a precaution. The doctors cleared Zamir to play and media reports said he seemed to be fine.

Given this, what was the point of the question about Zamir being on punt returns? I understand why Kirby reacted as he did. The question implies Zamir should not have been playing special teams. It implies someone made a mistake playing him. The player had the go ahead. Why shouldn't he play on punt coverage?

Zamir probably shouldn't have been playing gunner on a punt return just 8 months after surgery, there is little to no upside, huge downside.
    As for the brace, I've had femoral nerve constriction on my left side for 13 years. It causes pain and numbness down my left leg into the foot. When I'm on uneven ground it's not the left leg and knee that usually gets sprained though, it is the right side. We compensate by shifting weight and balance away from weakness and injury, that should have been considered with White wearing a brace, which in itself causes altered mechanics.

I’ll email Ron Courson and ask him to resign so that you can fill in. If kirby makes another mistake like this, you’ll be able to take over for him too.

I don't always agree with WCDawg or how he approaches thing, but he's got a good head on his shoulders. You are allowed to criticize people even if they have more knowledge than you on a subject, because people make mistakes and are always learning. . .especially in the field of medicine. Hindsight is obviously 20/20, but I do wonder if Zamir shouldn't have been held out of contact a bit longer. There's a lot of evidence that knee injuries in the "good knee" often occur after a recovery from an injury in the other knee. Even if his knee was structurally perfect, one could argue that his brain was still favoring the other one.

Just to be clear, I don't fault Courson or Smart, and I think both are great at their jobs. That doesn't mean that they don't make mistakes or shouldn't reevaluate certain positions they have taken. H e l l, in a different setting, Kirby just argued how one always has to be willing to self-examine and reevaluate and adjust. That applies in everything, not just in schematic football.

Was it not the other leg? If so, this being cleared crap is just that, crap.

You seem to be missing a lot of today's conversation.

Nah, you just seem to be doing what you do best, nothing. I went and looked just to make sure and it was the other knee. So I ask again Dr. Wc, since it was the other knee, how is you argument about him practicing relevant?

I won't go back over today's conversation for you.

Thank God. Not for sure I could take the ramblings of a 3rd grader any more.

However. I will say that your ability to change directions when proven wrong is way above your reading comprehension skills.

Don’t forget the straight ignoring tactic too

Tell us about another rassler !

You remind me of Mr. Perfect or "The Genius" Lanny Poffo....not sure which yet.

I think I'd call myself Sonny Stunning or Sexy Steve Stunning if I was rasslin.

• Options
    moosmoos Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Weird that there aren't any replies to this thread. I would have thought this would prove to be a controversial topic.

• Options
    KaseyKasey Posts: 28,882 mod

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

Smart's reaction when asked if people saw the practice seems telling. He switched to they aren't a problem, to focus on reporters, he was being disingenuous. He was mad about being asked a question and made a suggestion about something he was clearly wrong about. No media outlet was reporting the injury prior to the presser, it came from the gentrified folks who got to watch practice in exchange for cash.
    Some you are humbling yourselves below ''boosters''. This is not what CBF has been about since it's inception. The game is being handed to the money men. Bama is actually reducing stadium capacity to make room for 3000 seats for the gentry set.

Back to the point. So Kirby can make a false claim, then retreat when he realizes it was probably people who are allowed to watch who spilled the beans, not reporters.

He didn't apologize, at least not during the presser, he just changed the subject and sort of pretended he meant something else.

The information surrounding Zamir's first ACL was that it was not so severe that he couldn't walk around on it for a couple of days before questioning it. What I remember was folks were optimistic he could return by the start of the season. When fall camp began he was "full go" which means the brace was a precaution. The doctors cleared Zamir to play and media reports said he seemed to be fine.

Given this, what was the point of the question about Zamir being on punt returns? I understand why Kirby reacted as he did. The question implies Zamir should not have been playing special teams. It implies someone made a mistake playing him. The player had the go ahead. Why shouldn't he play on punt coverage?

Zamir probably shouldn't have been playing gunner on a punt return just 8 months after surgery, there is little to no upside, huge downside.
    As for the brace, I've had femoral nerve constriction on my left side for 13 years. It causes pain and numbness down my left leg into the foot. When I'm on uneven ground it's not the left leg and knee that usually gets sprained though, it is the right side. We compensate by shifting weight and balance away from weakness and injury, that should have been considered with White wearing a brace, which in itself causes altered mechanics.

I’ll email Ron Courson and ask him to resign so that you can fill in. If kirby makes another mistake like this, you’ll be able to take over for him too.

I don't always agree with WCDawg or how he approaches thing, but he's got a good head on his shoulders. You are allowed to criticize people even if they have more knowledge than you on a subject, because people make mistakes and are always learning. . .especially in the field of medicine. Hindsight is obviously 20/20, but I do wonder if Zamir shouldn't have been held out of contact a bit longer. There's a lot of evidence that knee injuries in the "good knee" often occur after a recovery from an injury in the other knee. Even if his knee was structurally perfect, one could argue that his brain was still favoring the other one.

Just to be clear, I don't fault Courson or Smart, and I think both are great at their jobs. That doesn't mean that they don't make mistakes or shouldn't reevaluate certain positions they have taken. H e l l, in a different setting, Kirby just argued how one always has to be willing to self-examine and reevaluate and adjust. That applies in everything, not just in schematic football.

Nah, you just seem to be doing what you do best, nothing. I went and looked just to make sure and it was the other knee. So I ask again Dr. Wc, since it was the other knee, how is you argument about him practicing relevant?

However. I will say that your ability to change directions when proven wrong is way above your reading comprehension skills.

Don't besmirch the good name of Steve Austin by using former adjectives to describe him

• Options

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

Don't besmirch the good name of Steve Austin by using former adjectives to describe him

Austin is a pretty boy, Podunk has been. I'd beat him like a red headed step child riding a rented mule.

• Options
    edited August 2018

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

Austin is a pretty boy, Podunk has been. I'd beat him like a red headed step child riding a rented mule.

https://giphy.com/gifs/M7t5GIszd4Nc4/html5

• Options

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

He looks like he's trying to get his ears to pop...panty waist.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

https://media.giphy.com/media/QXkubR6t8Xvz2/giphy.gif

• Options

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

he's just fat and sad looking there.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

Sounds like you're projecting here

• Options

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

Nope, I'm a lean, mean wise ass machine.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

Yes, you can be. You might get some agreement on that assessment (lol).

• Options

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kasey said:

@BamaDawg said:

@WCDawg said:

Yes, you can be. You might get some agreement on that assessment (lol).

Hey, I'm proud.

• Options
    BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2018

@WCDawg said:

I haven't been proven wrong Einstein, you're pulling that from your arse. Do you even know what it is he wants me to rehash ? cause off the top of my head I don't. I do know it's the gist of what has been gone over numerous times though.
    You're more about tossing out insults than substance.

I have posted my thoughts on the subject to those that understand. As for being proven wrong.....

As for being proven wrong, your entire arguement that that we should care if Chip is having problems getting info from Kirby is wrong. Almost as wrong as your analogy of and instructor (which I blew out of the water)....

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Chip wrote a story that was in proper context, and his perspective on Georgia football coverage should be appreciated by Bulldogs fans. People should appreciate a journalist who is willing to take a stand, even when he knows it might not be a popular opinion. Too many cater

• Options
    scooterdawgscooterdawg Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Personally Mike I've no problem with what Chip I wrote. I actually thought it was one of his better articles lately..I still say y'all need to get an intern to just do more proofreading. I know y'all have to post fast. I'm just saying to a grammar snob like me I see a lot of mispellings and words left out. Not being a dick. Just saying.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

Get over it snowflake.
    I'm stuck being the outlier sometimes because most of you won't be critical where the program is concerned when it's warranted.
    I'm making points that wouldn't be made otherwise, you parrot what many others are posting.

The most surprising thing I read during the time I was unable to post over the last few days is that you are 62 years old. Astonishing, to say the least. I would have bet the farm you were under 35 the way you throw out insults to posters and pretend expertise on every topic imaginable.

• Options
    Red_N_BlackRed_N_Black Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Well Chip welcome to the world we now live in. A place where most people (coaches included) tend to believe that journalism as we once knew it is dead. A place where many if not most in the media have grown bored or jealous with simply reporting the news that other people make. You guys on the local sports beat may not even be a part of this phenomenon but you are surely aware that your brethren elsewhere are abandoning the 4th Estate wholeheartedly and unashamedly for the new 5th Estate. A land of bloggers and opinion makers and activists and instigators who more than anything else want to capitalize on their status as “reporters” for self-glorification, self-gratification and undue influence. For this reason, you shouldn't be surprised if a coach or anybody else is suspicious or defensive about the media and its intentions. I guess what I'm saying is that the story is not supposed to be about you. You're there to inform the fans and followers of UGA sports about UGA sports. I really think for the most part you guys do a terrific job, but I hope you will always remember that you are there to simply report the story and not to become the story. It may not be the popular approach anymore, but in the long run I believe this is the type of coverage that people want and respect.

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Red_N_Black Kirby is well media savvy enough to know that question could go into an area that was very critical of himself. My interpretation is that Kirby was pivoting the conversation away from that area and changing it to something to try to bury the story. He was putting the journalists on notice that if they cover the story that way, as far as he is concerned they themselves are at least as much fair game as he is for covering it that way.

I don’t think Chip or the other journalists made this about the reporters. I think Kirby did. The question Kirby riffed on was pretty simple. It may have gone where Kirby was worried it would go. But it hadn’t yet.

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’m really surprised at the blowback Chip is receiving for writing that article. Like once every two or three months Chip will say something about this access to players thing. Now I don’t agree with him. But to take it so far you’ve stopped reading his articles?

This is why you turn on CNN every night and wow! Somehow, some way, they’ve managed to find another way to report that Donald Trump is evil! It’s because way too many of you get frustrated when you hear something you don’t want to hear. So these national media outlets have given in, and just jazz up whatever reporting they do to accommodate for the biases of their viewers.

I’m glad Chip hasn’t done that.

And there is the issue of goal posts. Where when the coaches take stuff away from the media, what are they going to take next?

You guys think the local OSU media is **** up to Urban Meyer? They may be. I don’t know. But being willing to push back against the administration is what we need if we want to have any kind of sensible reporting during controversial issues like that.

And I’m finding on this board I need to be more specific sometimes. Let me make it clear this post isn’t not a response to @Red_N_Black. I just disagreed with his interpretation. I don’t think he’s one of the people I’m talking about with this post.

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Red_N_Black said:
    Well Chip welcome to the world we now live in. A place where most people (coaches included) tend to believe that journalism as we once knew it is dead. A place where many if not most in the media have grown bored or jealous with simply reporting the news that other people make. You guys on the local sports beat may not even be a part of this phenomenon but you are surely aware that your brethren elsewhere are abandoning the 4th Estate wholeheartedly and unashamedly for the new 5th Estate. A land of bloggers and opinion makers and activists and instigators who more than anything else want to capitalize on their status as “reporters” for self-glorification, self-gratification and undue influence. For this reason, you shouldn't be surprised if a coach or anybody else is suspicious or defensive about the media and its intentions. I guess what I'm saying is that the story is not supposed to be about you.

Good post. While I don't think journalism is dead--there seems to be a schizophrenia out there for many, many media folks. Generally, readers tend to think "journalism" means, "unbiased." A lot of opinion peddlers still want to pretend they are unbiased journalists. Sometimes they offer an unbiased story which only gives facts. But more often than not, the story offers some facts and then interjects opinion into it.

Connor Riley (enjoy his work) offered a piece which mentions the feeling Georgia is "cursed" with injuries to good RB's. Personally, I haven't read too many fans posting they feel cursed--so the supposition came out of the blue for me. Injuries happen across the roster. Show me that RB's have a disproportionately higher number of injuries for Georgia than the rest of college football. That might support the notion of "curse". For me--that is unbiased journalism. It is getting to the reality of the situation. Show me where more than a few fans have expressed the "curse" sentiment on the forum or elsewhere--that would at least support the negative idea of a "curse." It was an angle in a story that has no basis in fact. But It is a mild example of the schizophrenia I'm talking about. To his credit Connor didn't use it in the headline--but many would.

Corporate media drives this dichotomy in the digital age--clicks are everything to advertisers. I don't begrudge them trying to make money. Controversy and conversation may be generated by use of words like, "curse"--and some would say that is good journalism. But let's be clear--opinion is not fact. That is where some of the confusion and perhaps-- backlash for reporters--enters the situation.