Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Atlanta Braves

Comments

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kirbstomper said:

@georgiaboy said:

@donm said:

@TNDawg71 said:
    The pitching staff has to develop during the off season. Better command without a doubt. One move in the lineup would help obviously.

Anyone know the difference between control and command? Is there a difference?

@donm said:

@TNDawg71 said:
    The pitching staff has to develop during the off season. Better command without a doubt. One move in the lineup would help obviously.

I don’t but I do know that they have to stop walking 9 per game!

Control is the ability to throw strikes, command is the ability to hit spots.

So, if I read you correctly, a pitcher might not want to throw a strike - say with an 0-2 or 1-2 count and would rather have the pitch go, say, 3-4 inches outside. Command means he can that outside spot, off the plate?

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@TNDawg71 said:

Broadly speaking, maybe no difference.
    In baseball talk control usually is used to rate how well a pitcher can throw strikes.
    Command is what Maddux was supreme with. Putting the ball where you want it, when you want to and understanding why you want it there at that particular time.

• AnotherDawgAnotherDawg Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kirbstomper 's short answer was right on. A pitcher with good control is one who rarely issues walks, can throw a strike pretty much whenever he needs to. Command speaks to the ability to hit spots (side to side, up and down, on or off the plate) as well as effectiveness with different pitches. Some guys can command their fastball but not their offspeed pitches. Good MLB pitchers can command two or three pitches. Maddux was unique in his ability to change speeds and movement in so many ways, with total command. It was like having 9-10 different pitches.

edited October 2018

@donm said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@georgiaboy said:

@donm said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@donm said:

@TNDawg71 said:

So, if I read you correctly, a pitcher might not want to throw a strike - say with an 0-2 or 1-2 count and would rather have the pitch go, say, 3-4 inches outside. Command means he can that outside spot, off the plate?

THAT is my point about Maddux's ''command'', he not only could put the ball on a dime with movement and varied speeds, he knew exactly why he was doing it, what he was setting up the hitter for and how it related to his entire game plan. That is command in the commander sense.

@BoroDawg said:

@georgiaboy said:
    Sign the Marlins catcher (JT Realmuto), resign Markakis and shore up the bull pen and watch us go!

Considering Realmuto isn’t a free agent, don’t think we’ll be signing him... We could trade for him, but it would take multiple top 100 prospects to get him and trading with division rivals rarely happens.

I count 9 pitchers still in our minor league system with trade value.
    Management could make 4 or 5 untouchable, then give The Marlins their pick any one of the rest, and negotiate another player or 2 to add to the package.

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@georgiaboy said:

@donm said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@donm said:

@TNDawg71 said:

THAT is my point about Maddux's ''command'', he not only could put the ball on a dime with movement and varied speeds, he knew exactly why he was doing it, what he was setting up the hitter for and how it related to his entire game plan. That is command in the commander sense.

I recall it being said of Maddox that he would tell a player before the pitch (like Lemke) that the batter was going to hit it to him. He knew where the pitch was going and how that particular batter would hit it.

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@donm said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@georgiaboy said:

@donm said:

@TNDawg71 said:

@donm said:

@TNDawg71 said:

I recall it being said of Maddox that he would tell a player before the pitch (like Lemke) that the batter was going to hit it to him. He knew where the pitch was going and how that particular batter would hit it.

He's the only pitcher I've seen who seemed to be able to dictate where a batter would hit the ball at a high rate.
    It was amazing to watch a fielder move, then have the ball hit right to his new position. Of course Greg was probably the best fielding pitcher ever, talk about covering all the bases.

• KirbstomperKirbstomper Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2018

@WCDawg said:

@BoroDawg said:

@georgiaboy said:
    Sign the Marlins catcher (JT Realmuto), resign Markakis and shore up the bull pen and watch us go!

Considering Realmuto isn’t a free agent, don’t think we’ll be signing him... We could trade for him, but it would take multiple top 100 prospects to get him and trading with division rivals rarely happens.

Management could make 4 or 5 untouchable, then give The Marlins their pick any one of the rest, and negotiate another player or 2 to add to the package.

So I’m pretty studied up on this stuff and also am in favor of trading for Realmuto, so here’s my take on the trade. It’s going to take more than one of our non untouchable pitchers and “someone else”, where I’m assuming you mean one of our 15-30 ranked prospects.

Realmuto hs 2 arbitration years left and was worth 4.8 WAR this year. He is a Freddie freeman caliber player with 2 years where he will probably get paid like 30-35 million total if I remember my arbitration salary stuff correctly. This puts what the industry calls his surplus value (value as a player minus contract) at like 45 Million, conservatively.

Here is a bit of a dated look at our prospect valuations https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/top-32-prospects-atlanta-braves-2/

And here is a link to the value of prospects in surplus value https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/valuing-the-2017-top-100-prospects/

That means the marlins would ask for 2 of our 55 grade pitching prospects, which is basically only soroka and Wright for sure. Maybe tuoki and Ian Anderson have a case for this grade as well, but so far I haven’t seen a 55 slapped on them yet. It would take 3 of our 50 grade pitchers which is the Wilson, fried, Wentz, Gohara plus the debateable Anderson and tuokki. Allard isn’t a 50 anymore, more likely a 40-45. We could also give one of our 55s and 2 50s. But all of these packages still come up a bit short, so we would then need to throw in another “someone else”. We could also try building a package around someone like Pache or Drew Waters, who will probably get some 55 grades after this season. Though I’d prefer to keep these guys if possible.

Also, if the Marlins are shopping JT half the league is going to be interested, so it’ll take an overpay. If someone offers a 60 grade bat then we probably won’t match the offer. In short, The trade for him would hurt, but our organizational strength is upper level pitching specs so I’m in favor of making a move.

@Kirbstomper said:

@WCDawg said:

@BoroDawg said:

@georgiaboy said:

So I’m pretty studied up on this stuff and also am in favor of trading for Realmuto, so here’s my take on the trade. It’s going to take more than one of our non untouchable pitchers and “someone else”, where I’m assuming you mean one of our 15-30 ranked prospects.

Realmuto hs 2 arbitration years left and was worth 4.8 WAR this year. He is a Freddie freeman caliber player with 2 years where he will probably get paid like 30-35 million total if I remember my arbitration salary stuff correctly. This puts what the industry calls his surplus value (value as a player minus contract) at like 45 Million, conservatively.

Here is a bit of a dated look at our prospect valuations https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/top-32-prospects-atlanta-braves-2/

And here is a link to the value of prospects in surplus value https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/valuing-the-2017-top-100-prospects/

That means the marlins would ask for 2 of our 55 grade pitching prospects, which is basically only soroka and Wright for sure. Maybe tuoki and Ian Anderson have a case for this grade as well, but so far I haven’t seen a 55 slapped on them yet. It would take 3 of our 50 grade pitchers which is the Wilson, fried, Wentz, Gohara plus the debateable Anderson and tuokki. Allard isn’t a 50 anymore, more likely a 40-45. We could also give one of our 55s and 2 50s. But all of these packages still come up a bit short, so we would then need to throw in another “someone else”. We could also try building a package around someone like Pache or Drew Waters, who will probably get some 55 grades after this season. Though I’d prefer to keep these guys if possible.

Also, if the Marlins are shopping JT half the league is going to be interested, so it’ll take an overpay. If someone offers a 60 grade bat then we probably won’t match the offer. In short, The trade for him would hurt, but our organizational strength is upper level pitching specs so I’m in favor of making a move.

We have a hitter or 2 with a 60 or better rating in 1 area of hitting, but not overall. Those are really rare at the minor league level.
    We're probably going to make any big trade with a starting pitcher as the center piece. I'm not sure which position players might be thrown in, Riley or Pache ? No doubt the cost will be high on paper, the actual cost won't be known till those guys develop into whatever they become.

We've got the better end of most deals in recent years.

@WCDawg said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@WCDawg said:

@BoroDawg said:

@georgiaboy said:

We have a hitter or 2 with a 60 or better rating in 1 area of hitting, but not overall. Those are really rare at the minor league level.
    We're probably going to make any big trade with a starting pitcher as the center piece. I'm not sure which position players might be thrown in, Riley or Pache ? No doubt the cost will be high on paper, the actual cost won't be known till those guys develop into whatever they become.

They have Dansby as the 4th most valuable player. That makes their rankings suspect to me.

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@WCDawg said:

@BoroDawg said:

@georgiaboy said:

They have Dansby as the 4th most valuable player. That makes their rankings suspect to me.

This is a good point, and its important for people to understand. Fangraphs is a a fine source, their rankings on prospects is pretty solid. I am sure teams have their own rankings, but that reflects decently on industry consensus.

The thing is...prospects are just such an unknown quantity. Especially pitchers. Even if you are ranked high, that doesn't mean you'll be a good player. Now higher graded position players are usually a safer bet than most, so Dansby is somewhat of a surprise. Not that he is bad; Dansby is still a roughly average major league shortstop, but the rankings were too bullish on him.

So when someone says something like "We got Austin Riley, he will be the next Chipper" or something like that, it's getting your hopes up too high. When someone says that all our pitching prospects are going to end up being middle of the rotation or better pieces, they are probably over valuing our guys. Prospects usually end up not being super good major league players, that's just how it is.

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hope we leave the team in tact. Far as I’m concerned, Enciarte and Flaherty are the only guys I wouldpart with. I’m sure the cheap free agents we picked up are back on the block.

Ronnie and Nick are winning hitters. We can put Ronnie in Center and platoon Austin and somebody else in left. We don’t have much in the minors until Pache, and his hitting may never develop.

We had a home run stick, but sent him back to the Dodgers. We need somebody who can hit .280 and 20 homers in a platoon role.

One question I have is “Who would be better in left, Johan, or Austin?”

@Bigcalidawg said:
    I hope we leave the team in tact. Far as I’m concerned, Enciarte and Flaherty are the only guys I wouldpart with. I’m sure the cheap free agents we picked up are back on the block.

Ronnie and Nick are winning hitters. We can put Ronnie in Center and platoon Austin and somebody else in left. We don’t have much in the minors until Pache, and his hitting may never develop.

We had a home run stick, but sent him back to the Dodgers. We need somebody who can hit .280 and 20 homers in a platoon role.

But nick had a really bad second half and playoffs, and was really bad the previous 3 years he was here. That first half came out of nowhere and Projections are going to think he will regress.

Also even in enciartes down year he was better than nick by 0.3 WAR. Ender is just a really gifted outfielder and gets a lot of value there. So lol at saying bring back neck and dump ender.

https://www.fangraphs.com/teams/braves

@Kirbstomper said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@WCDawg said:

@BoroDawg said:

@georgiaboy said:

This is a good point, and its important for people to understand. Fangraphs is a a fine source, their rankings on prospects is pretty solid. I am sure teams have their own rankings, but that reflects decently on industry consensus.

The thing is...prospects are just such an unknown quantity. Especially pitchers. Even if you are ranked high, that doesn't mean you'll be a good player. Now higher graded position players are usually a safer bet than most, so Dansby is somewhat of a surprise. Not that he is bad; Dansby is still a roughly average major league shortstop, but the rankings were too bullish on him.

So when someone says something like "We got Austin Riley, he will be the next Chipper" or something like that, it's getting your hopes up too high. When someone says that all our pitching prospects are going to end up being middle of the rotation or better pieces, they are probably over valuing our guys. Prospects usually end up not being super good major league players, that's just how it is.

They have Soroka at #2 after the injury, if he's healthy he's my #1, but the fact they see value in him meshes with my view.

@Kirbstomper said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

But nick had a really bad second half and playoffs, and was really bad the previous 3 years he was here. That first half came out of nowhere and Projections are going to think he will regress.

Also even in enciartes down year he was better than nick by 0.3 WAR. Ender is just a really gifted outfielder and gets a lot of value there. So lol at saying bring back neck and dump ender.

I know Nick doesn’t hit a lot of homers, but you can put him down to hit .285 with 40+ doubles every year. He is a great doubles guy.
    I know Ender is good defensively, but let’s see what Ronnie can do out there. Seems Ender has trade value and we can cover his position.

@Kirbstomper said:

@donm said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@WCDawg said:

@BoroDawg said:

@georgiaboy said:

This is a very good observation.

@Bigcalidawg said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

I know Nick doesn’t hit a lot of homers, but you can put him down to hit .285 with 40+ doubles every year. He is a great doubles guy.
    I know Ender is good defensively, but let’s see what Ronnie can do out there. Seems Ender has trade value and we can cover his position.

Pache's defense is off the charts, if he can hit at the MLB level he'll be special.

edited October 2018

@Kirbstomper said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

Markakis has averaged 39 doubles, 173 hits and a .360 on base percentage over his 4 seasons in Atlanta. He's also averaged around 675 plate appearances, that is a huge consideration.
    If your lineup can get on base at a good rate, get in scoring position and knock in base runners with a lot of doubles, you'll score a lot of runs.

@WCDawg said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

Markakis has averaged 39 doubles, 173 hits and a .360 on base percentage over his 4 seasons in Atlanta. He's also averaged around 675 plate appearances, that is a huge consideration.
    If your lineup can get on base at a good rate, get in scoring position and knock in base runners with a lot of doubles, you'll score a lot of runs.

I mean he was good last year, as in a top 80 position player in the MLB at 2.6 WAR. And he was not good for like 4 years before this year. And his career year this year was really lifted by an out of his mind first half. Do you buy into that half? Do you buy into the second half, or the previous year? It’s all about who you think he really is.
    Projection systems are going to estimate him to be sub 2 WAR, which is a below average starter. For reference, Dansby was worth 1.9 this year and Suzuki a perfect 2.0.

It is telling that the team declined to submit a qualifying offer to him, which was 17.6 Million this year. I wouldn’t hate him back on a 1 year stopgap contract, but I’d hope that would be after trying to upgrade the spot via trade and finding some pitching help.

@Kirbstomper said:

@WCDawg said:

@Kirbstomper said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

I mean he was good last year, as in a top 80 position player in the MLB at 2.6 WAR. And he was not good for like 4 years before this year. And his career year this year was really lifted by an out of his mind first half. Do you buy into that half? Do you buy into the second half, or the previous year? It’s all about who you think he really is.
    Projection systems are going to estimate him to be sub 2 WAR, which is a below average starter. For reference, Dansby was worth 1.9 this year and Suzuki a perfect 2.0.

It is telling that the team declined to submit a qualifying offer to him, which was 17.6 Million this year. I wouldn’t hate him back on a 1 year stopgap contract, but I’d hope that would be after trying to upgrade the spot via trade and finding some pitching help.

It’s made difficult by the fact that we don’t have outfield studs like we have at every other position.

I don’t want to see us mortgage the future for a corner outfield spot.