Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Reason for Jake Fromm’s regression???

Comments

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@mlee said:
    Blame the coaches, receivers, or the Oline but you can’t blame Fields. He isn’t on the field when Fromm is playing and has to this point been a team player. Fromm had bad game and so did the rest of the team. Let’s hope they all play better this week.

It’s weird to me too everyone is blaming the passing game purely on Fromm. The receivers aren’t doing as well as they did last year either. Mecole is at least as bad as he was at the beginning of last year with dropping balls. Ridley is probably as solid. But they’re not really throwing him the ball as much as they should be, this year or last. So we don’t really know. Godwin has been hurt. Nauta has had a couple of big drops this year. I remember some drop’s Swift has made that have been disappointing. Kirby has complained in press conferences about receivers running the wrong routes.

And when it’s a team wide problem, you looking at the coaching.

Now, WCDawg’s theory about the problem being them switching QB coaches on Jake does fit in with that observation, So I’ll insert it here so maybe he doesn’t feel like he has to do it himself, again.

I personally prefer Griff’s idea that there are just so many receivers on the Bulldog roster getting practice reps, that Jake hasn’t developed as good of chemistry with any of them.

You guys who are always running to the stat sheet, is there a stat kept on the number of times a receiver has dropped a ball he should have caught? Kind of like fielding errors in baseball. I can’t imagine there’s a stat on running the wrong route. No way for the scorekeeper to know what the route should have been.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:

@mlee said:
    Blame the coaches, receivers, or the Oline but you can’t blame Fields. He isn’t on the field when Fromm is playing and has to this point been a team player. Fromm had bad game and so did the rest of the team. Let’s hope they all play better this week.

It’s weird to me too everyone is blaming the passing game purely on Fromm. The receivers aren’t doing as well as they did last year either. Mecole is at least as bad as he was at the beginning of last year with dropping balls. Ridley is probably as solid. But they’re not really throwing him the ball as much as they should be, this year or last. So we don’t really know. Godwin has been hurt. Nauta has had a couple of big drops this year. I remember some drop’s Swift has made that have been disappointing. Kirby has complained in press conferences about receivers running the wrong routes.

Now, WCDawg’s theory about the problem being them switching QB coaches on Jake does fit in with that observation, So I’ll insert it here so maybe he doesn’t feel like he has to do it himself, again.

I personally prefer Griff’s idea that there are just so many receivers on the Bulldog roster getting practice reps, that Jake hasn’t developed as good of chemistry with any of them.

You guys who are always running to the stat sheet, is there a stat kept on the number of times a receiver has dropped a ball he should have caught? Kind of like fielding errors in baseball. I can’t imagine there’s a stat on running the wrong route. No way for the scorekeeper to know what the route should have been.

excellent point. No way to know who's messing up - running the wrong route would cause a QB to hesitate...sound familiar? Also, there should be a stat like ERA in baseball where drops wouldn't count against a QB"s rating just like unearned runs don't count against a pitchers ERA. To me, those would be useful stats. Maybe we can get Kirby to hire one more "analyst" to do this kind of thing for the forum?

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@levander said:

@mlee said:

so he doesn't feel like he has to do it himself.....again. a bit of spacing before a word can drive the point home, you're welcome.

• Options
    christopheruleschristopherules Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:
    Step away from the computer! College kids are allowed to have bad games. Does your boss fire you when you have a bad day at work and check your social media excessively looking for clues?

Sheesh...if Jake has a career day against Florida some of y’all need to come back here and apologize

@Kasey Thank you SIR!!! This IS HANDS DOWN THE BEST POST OF THE WEEK in the DawgNation Forum!!!

• Options
    dawgnmsdawgnms Posts: 5,175 mod

@PharmDawg2054 said:
    Fromm had a terrible game against LSU, that is no doubt

As others have mentioned on this same thread.... I personally do not think he has "regressed" but rather that he has not progressed this season to the level that we would like to see, but at the same time he is still a top tier SEC quarterback at this moment in time. Other than Tua there is not another QB in the SEC that I would rather have than Fromm or that I think is better than Fromm. So, while he may not have progressed as much as we would like, he has far from regressed or been terrible. (besides the LSU game.... that was terrible)

He has looked comfortable in the pocket and has done a good job of having pocket awareness that has allowed for him to shed some tackles by either stepping up in the pocket or leaving the pocket

His biggest downfalls this year that it is hard to disagree with is the fact that he is simply holding onto the ball for too long. If receivers are not open then either get rid of it or pick us up a few yards on your feet... but don't take the sack. The offensive line is giving him plenty of time to make these decisions, but seems he is making the wrong ones at times.

I believe Fromm may also be worried about Fields lurking over his shoulder and he wants receiver openings to be perfect so as to not make mistakes, leaving him to holding onto the ball longer

That being said receivers have been running the wrong routes and there have been a few crucial dropped passes.

I as well expected to see Fromm take a large step forward this year and even compete for the Heisman. Fromm is not a Heisman trophy candidate this year that is for sure... but saying he "regressed" would be wrong in my personal opinion

If you do think the he has regressed then I would be curious if Coley being the QB coach was not the ideal move

So you say having him competing for the Heisman this year and he certainly is not how can that not be "regression"

• Options

@dawgnms said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

As others have mentioned on this same thread.... I personally do not think he has "regressed" but rather that he has not progressed this season to the level that we would like to see, but at the same time he is still a top tier SEC quarterback at this moment in time. Other than Tua there is not another QB in the SEC that I would rather have than Fromm or that I think is better than Fromm. So, while he may not have progressed as much as we would like, he has far from regressed or been terrible. (besides the LSU game.... that was terrible)

He has looked comfortable in the pocket and has done a good job of having pocket awareness that has allowed for him to shed some tackles by either stepping up in the pocket or leaving the pocket

His biggest downfalls this year that it is hard to disagree with is the fact that he is simply holding onto the ball for too long. If receivers are not open then either get rid of it or pick us up a few yards on your feet... but don't take the sack. The offensive line is giving him plenty of time to make these decisions, but seems he is making the wrong ones at times.

I believe Fromm may also be worried about Fields lurking over his shoulder and he wants receiver openings to be perfect so as to not make mistakes, leaving him to holding onto the ball longer

That being said receivers have been running the wrong routes and there have been a few crucial dropped passes.

I as well expected to see Fromm take a large step forward this year and even compete for the Heisman. Fromm is not a Heisman trophy candidate this year that is for sure... but saying he "regressed" would be wrong in my personal opinion

If you do think the he has regressed then I would be curious if Coley being the QB coach was not the ideal move

So you say having him competing for the Heisman this year and he certainly is not how can that not be "regression"

You may be confusing a lack of a level of progression with regression, at least your post suggests as much.
    I do see specific regression, but some progress as well. He has used his playmakers in space better in most games this year for one thing.
    He needs to play more fluid/relaxed, he needs do make some decisions quicker and he needs to be more on time and accurate downfield. I think everything ties into not being relaxed and maybe not as confident, which I think has a lot to do with coaching changes and having to compete for a job every practice.

Think of other jobs where you train, you get a position, then you try to relax, focus and improve from day to day.

A certain amount of trust and security is important at the position.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@dawgnms said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

You may be confusing a lack of a level of progression with regression, at least your post suggests as much.
    I do see specific regression, but some progress as well. He has used his playmakers in space better in most games this year for one thing.
    He needs to play more fluid/relaxed, he needs do make some decisions quicker and he needs to be more on time and accurate downfield. I think everything ties into not being relaxed and maybe not as confident, which I think has a lot to do with coaching changes and having to compete for a job every practice.

Think of other jobs where you train, you get a position, then you try to relax, focus and improve from day to day.

I think you are the one confused...........

• Options

@dawgnms said:

@WCDawg said:

@dawgnms said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

I think you are the one confused...........

Not at all, not becoming a Heisman candidate isn't a regression, that much should be obvious, even to Auburn fans.

• Options

@dawgnms said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

You're confusing expectations with the baseline, which is where Jake was at the end of last season. He was trending in the right direction, but he wasn't at that level yet, he didn't have to regress to not be at a level he hadn't obtained.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@dawgnms said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

You're confusing expectations with the baseline, which is where Jake was at the end of last season. He was trending in the right direction, but he wasn't at that level yet, he didn't have to regress to not be at a level he hadn't obtained.

let me rephrase that........I think you are dazed and confused

• Options

@dawgnms said:

@WCDawg said:

@dawgnms said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

let me rephrase that........I think you are dazed and confused

I think your reading comprehension is suspect.
    Try going back to the post I responded to that led to this point.
    Try REAL hard now.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dawgnms said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

Who decided he was a Heisman candidate? Once again, unrealistic expectations rear their **** heads.. Talk about setting someone up for failure or "regression". That's just nuts in my view. He needs to work on getting better with what he has available...not what Bama or any other school has available. I think

• Options
    bigdawg2223bigdawg2223 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

For all that is Holy @WCDawg please stop with the Chaney needs to be moved back to QB coach. You’re starting to turn into @nycdawg. I’m willing to bet you’ve said it several hundred times in the last 2 weeks, CKS isn’t going to listen to you. You wanna talk about performance expectations or the reason why Fromm has regressed or isn’t comfortable, fine. But stop with the Chaney needs to be QB coach, you have one season of play that you’re basing that on and it’s not enough.

• Options
    PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dawgnms said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

I expected him to progress to the point of competing for the heisman this year. He did not progress to that point but has not regressed

Again he may have not progressed as much as some of us thought he would have but calling what he has done this year a regresssion is laughable (other than LSU, that was a regression) so if you want to base the entire point on the LSU game and not his season thus far then yes he regressed

• Options

@bigdawg2223 said:
    For all that is Holy @WCDawg please stop with the Chaney needs to be moved back to QB coach. You’re starting to turn into @nycdawg. I’m willing to bet you’ve said it several hundred times in the last 2 weeks, CKS isn’t going to listen to you. You wanna talk about performance expectations or the reason why Fromm has regressed or isn’t comfortable, fine. But stop with the Chaney needs to be QB coach, you have one season of play that you’re basing that on and it’s not enough.

Fromm was ready to take the Field against ND his 2nd game his freshman year

It was obvious that even after Fromms horrible performance against LSU that the coaches did not think that Fields was ready to come in and lead the team or we would have seen that

Now if Fields is not ready mid way though a season then why not? Who is the person preparing him?

• Options
    bigdawg2223bigdawg2223 Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

It was obvious that even after Fromms horrible performance against LSU that the coaches did not think that Fields was ready to come in and lead the team or we would have seen that

Now if Fields is not ready mid way though a season then why not? Who is the person preparing him?

You don’t make coaching changes this far into the season. It will only make things worse

• Options

@bigdawg2223 said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

You don’t make coaching changes this far into the season. It will only make things worse

Not saying to make a coaching change mid season

The OP was asking for a reason for regression. Regardless of agreeing if it’s a regression or lack of optimal progression my answer stays the same.... that the person preparing and coaching that player may be be the answer to the OP

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2018

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

The OP was asking for a reason for regression. Regardless of agreeing if it’s a regression or lack of optimal progression my answer stays the same.... that the person preparing and coaching that player may be be the answer to the OP

Holy Cow! Did someone finally just buy into WCDawg’s QB coaching switcheroo being the problem??!

Well done, WC! You fought hard to start getting some traction.

How long until the dam breaks?

• Options

@levander said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

@PharmDawg2054 said:

@bigdawg2223 said:

Holy Cow! Did someone finally just buy into WCDawg’s QB coaching switcheroo being the problem??!

Well done, WC! You fought hard to start getting some traction.

How long until the dam breaks?

It was obvious Fields was not ready to lead the team or the coaches would have put him in against LSU as bad as Fromm was doing

Some think Fromm was regressed, stalled, or not progressed very much from last year

With those two things the only logical answer is that the person in charge of coaching and developing that player may be at fault

• Options

Senior talent surrounded Fromm last year made it easy for him......Now is the time to make this team HIS team......if he doesn't this Saturday it will be time for a change