Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Reason for Jake Fromm’s regression???

Comments

• levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Kasey said:
    Did anyone notice how much trouble Fitzgerald (a running QB) had against LSU last night?

It’s almost like their defense is pretty good or something

This is why I’m wanting to see Bama play LSU, how much can a good defense hold them back?

It sucks so bad Devin White got that targeting call and will be out the first half of that game. It’s like any time Bama can get a break...

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I’ve got a good friend who is a LSU fan. He’s convinced the SEC looked for a way to call a targeting call to benefit Bama next week. It is hard to argue Bama doesn’t catch breaks. There are clearly inequalities in programs. It makes you wonder if the college game will ever try to level the playing field like the pros have done.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@greshamdisco said:
    I’ve got a good friend who is a LSU fan. He’s convinced the SEC looked for a way to call a targeting call to benefit Bama next week. It is hard to argue Bama doesn’t catch breaks. There are clearly inequalities in programs. It makes you wonder if the college game will ever try to level the playing field like the pros have done.

I'm not sure what could be done other than expanding the playoffs.
    Recruiting is the big un-equalizer, I don't see that changing.

• donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@greshamdisco said:

I think your friend is wrong about this.

• 3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 546 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

imo dont think they are trying to help bama but it doesn't make $ to have 3 teams from southeast us, dabo, n bama....

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@greshamdisco said:

I agree about the targeting call not being manufactured. But there is a strong feeling across the SEC that the Bama syndicate gets way too many breaks. About that, he is right.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,881 mod

@greshamdisco said:

@donm said:

@greshamdisco said:

I agree about the targeting call not being manufactured. But there is a strong feeling across the SEC that the Bama syndicate gets way too many breaks. About that, he is right.

And I saw the play...nothing about that looked like targeting. If anything he should be applauded for pulling up

• deutcshland_dawgdeutcshland_dawg Posts: 1,595 mod

IMHO The debacle at LSU was the result of the terrible fake field call on 4th and 9. This gave LSU all the momentum and the resulting LSU TD induced a sense of panic in the team. If we get the field goal the score is tied and a little mojo is taken out of the crowd and LSU players. UGA hadnt played from behind yet and most of the team is really young and havent experienced that in college and perhaps even HS football. I also feel every player started trying to be the "one" who makes the game changing play and stopped playing team football. Hardmans fumble and Lecountes interception attempt specifically. Most times they probably make that play but it just wasnt Georgia's day.

However i think the bigger picture is positive. LSU had to play a perfect game to win. While UGA played its worst and was still in it at the start of the 4th qtr. The play that sealed the game was the 9 yd sack at the LSU 38. Thats when the defense gave up. They got a 3 and out and gave the offense great starting position and the offense didnt gain a single yard after 3 plays. Broke the entire teams confidence and moral. Any other day these things dont happen and UGA wins. I thinks its clear that UGA has a way higher potential while LSU has topped out. Just a bad day for everyone. Fans included

• Casanova_FlatulenceCasanova_Flatulence Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@mlee said:
    Now it’s a girl that is causing Fromm to play poorly. He is performing just like he did last yr when he is asked to throw more. Go look at games he threw the ball more than 25 times last yr and you’ll see the same result as this yr. We won games last yr with defense and running the ball not bc of Fromm. 42-7 beat down on FL and he completed 4 passes.

I agree.

I haven't done an analysis between the two years to see if Jake struggled last year in the first half as he has this year. I think the biggest source of frustration this year is missing open receivers that's taken points off the board. Against LSU, if Jake connects on two wide open targets (Hardman & Godwin) it's 14-3 in the 1st Qtr. and a totally different ballgame.

• mleemlee Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited October 2018

@WCDawg said:

@greshamdisco said:

I'm not sure what could be done other than expanding the playoffs.
    Recruiting is the big un-equalizer, I don't see that changing.

I won’t argue that Bama catches breaks (championship game). I was in favor at first of expanding the playoffs but it Hurts the regular season even more. If someone would start holding the refs accountable it would get better.
    You would have to pull an Ole Miss to change recruiting but that comes with a price. Lol. Just beat Saban and your recruiting will be golden. Look at Clemson now!

edited October 2018

@3rdshift said:
    imo dont think they are trying to help bama but it doesn't make $ to have 3 teams from southeast us, dabo, n bama....

It may not make economic sense ( though SEC on SEC games keep getting the highest tv ratings), but there clearly is zero bias against southern teams, in fact you could make a better case for a pro southern bias. Doubt my thinking ? just review rankings over the past 12 or so years.

• striker42striker42 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think a lot of what is seen as regression is more the lack of progress from Fromm. Last year the offense was a different animal. The two headed monster of Chubb and Michel (and how they were used) garnered more respect than the rushing attack this year. That put more men in the box and made the passing game easier for Fromm. It also put Fromm in far fewer third and longs where defenses can zero in on the passing game.

The departure of Wims has been mentioned here as well. Having that veteran receiver that Fromm had good chemistry with was huge.

With those losses, it was necessary for Fromm to take a big step forward to keep the production up. I don't think he's done that. He's not been able to up his game to meet the additional responsibilities.

I will say it's not all on Fromm though. The coaching staff hasn't helped Fromm much. Cheney has some well publicized blind spots. His underutilization of the tight ends is unforgivable. His tendency to go away from the run game has been an issue his entire tenure here (remember Chubb and Michel having to have a private meeting with him about that?).

Getting the TE's more involved to give Fromm another security blanket and punching teams in the face with a power run game would take some pressure off Fromm.

@greshamdisco said:

@donm said:

@greshamdisco said:

"feeling'' vs fact. I'd have to see some evidence. It's odd people are advancing an anti-southern theory and a pro-Bama theory at the same time. I think Bama's recent history helped them get the 4th spot in last year's playoffs, the rest seems unlikely to me.

@deutcshland_dawg said:
    IMHO The debacle at LSU was the result of the terrible fake field call on 4th and 9. This gave LSU all the momentum and the resulting LSU TD induced a sense of panic in the team. If we get the field goal the score is tied and a little mojo is taken out of the crowd and LSU players. UGA hadnt played from behind yet and most of the team is really young and havent experienced that in college and perhaps even HS football. I also feel every player started trying to be the "one" who makes the game changing play and stopped playing team football. Hardmans fumble and Lecountes interception attempt specifically. Most times they probably make that play but it just wasnt Georgia's day.

However i think the bigger picture is positive. LSU had to play a perfect game to win. While UGA played its worst and was still in it at the start of the 4th qtr. The play that sealed the game was the 9 yd sack at the LSU 38. Thats when the defense gave up. They got a 3 and out and gave the offense great starting position and the offense didnt gain a single yard after 3 plays. Broke the entire teams confidence and moral. Any other day these things dont happen and UGA wins. I thinks its clear that UGA has a way higher potential while LSU has topped out. Just a bad day for everyone. Fans included

I don't think the team let a missed fake fg ruin their game plan or confidence.

• EricDawgs1EricDawgs1 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Jake is doing fine this season. No need to worry.

• DawginSCDawginSC Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"regression"

2017 - 62.2% completion, 9.0 yards per pass attempt, 160 QB rating
    2018 - 66.9% completion, 9.5 yards per pass attempt, 170 QB rating

Jake may not have progressed as much as UGA fans would like... but he isn't regressing.

@DawginSC said:
    "regression"

Jake may not have progressed as much as UGA fans would like... but he isn't regressing.

No doubt Fromm has done some things very well and added to his game in finding playmakers in space near the LOS. That is what has his numbers up. I said before The LSU game they are built to defend those plays though, so are other talented and well coached defenses. We needed the vertical game in Baton Rouge and we'll need it in Jacksonville.
    I've posted the huge decrease in downfield completions and timed how long Jake is holding onto the ball, those are real ongoing issues. I don't blame Jake though, I think QBs are being mishandled this season.

• striker42striker42 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@DawginSC said:
    "regression"

No doubt Fromm has done some things very well and added to his game in finding playmakers in space near the LOS. That is what has his numbers up. I said before The LSU game they are built to defend those plays though, so are other talented and well coached defenses. We needed the vertical game in Baton Rouge and we'll need it in Jacksonville.
    I've posted the huge decrease in downfield completions and timed how long Jake is holding onto the ball, those are real ongoing issues. I don't blame Jake though, I think QBs are being mishandled this season.

I agree, the surface stats don't tell the story. He's padded his numbers against bad defenses but there have been issues all season when you watch him.> @WCDawg said:

@DawginSC said:
    "regression"

I agree that the surface stats don't tell the whole story. Fromm has padded his numbers a bit against some bad defenses but there have been noticeable issues all year.

I think it goes beyond just the QBs being mishandled. I think the entire offense is being mishandled. It looks like the coaching staff is trying to jam a square peg into a round hole.

• PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Coming off of LSU, this is a huge game for Jake. If he doesn't perform well and loses, I suspect they are going to develop Fields much harder moving forward. If he does a great job and thumps the Gators, he cements his leadership position and his #1 status. It is his position as long as he plays well.

edited October 2018

@striker42 said:

@WCDawg said:

@DawginSC said:
    "regression"

I agree, the surface stats don't tell the story. He's padded his numbers against bad defenses but there have been issues all season when you watch him.> @WCDawg said:

@DawginSC said:
    "regression"

I agree that the surface stats don't tell the whole story. Fromm has padded his numbers a bit against some bad defenses but there have been noticeable issues all year.

I think it goes beyond just the QBs being mishandled. I think the entire offense is being mishandled. It looks like the coaching staff is trying to jam a square peg into a round hole.

I think it's the results of a convergence of well intended decisions.
    I believe the coaching reassignments were done for the wrong reason. The deck was reshuffled to keep Coley from jumping to Texas A&M, now we're weaker at both critical passing game components. If it ain't broke, don't upset the balance.

Then there's trying to juggle 2 elite talents at QB, which is serving both players poorly from what I see.