Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Reason for Jake Fromm’s regression???

Comments

• Options
    706Dawg706Dawg Posts: 467 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@DawginSC said:
    "regression"

2017 - 62.2% completion, 9.0 yards per pass attempt, 160 QB rating
    2018 - 66.9% completion, 9.5 yards per pass attempt, 170 QB rating

Jake may not have progressed as much as UGA fans would like... but he isn't regressing.

I agree with this post. Fromm is more comfortable in year 2. There’s a degree of separation against highly touted defenses in which Fromm struggles more that we can’t ignore. Against ND, Bama, AU (2), and LSU 55%, 6 TDs, 5 INTs, 190 YPG. We have to keep in mind Fromm is a true sophomore and we’d expect improvement here as fan base moving forward. I think theres a simple fix to help Fromm but I’m not a coach so I trust staff to fix it.

• Options
    WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@706Dawg said:

@DawginSC said:
    "regression"

Jake may not have progressed as much as UGA fans would like... but he isn't regressing.

I agree with this post. Fromm is more comfortable in year 2. There’s a degree of separation against highly touted defenses in which Fromm struggles more that we can’t ignore. Against ND, Bama, AU (2), and LSU 55%, 6 TDs, 5 INTs, 190 YPG. We have to keep in mind Fromm is a true sophomore and we’d expect improvement here as fan base moving forward. I think theres a simple fix to help Fromm but I’m not a coach so I trust staff to fix it.

Jake is 100% NOT more comfortable this season. That much is easy to see. The swagger is gone, the fluid motion is not there, the quick release is spotty, he even looks more tense on the sideline.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@706Dawg said:

@DawginSC said:
    "regression"

Jake is 100% NOT more comfortable this season. That much is easy to see. The swagger is gone, the fluid motion is not there, the quick release is spotty, he even looks more tense on the sideline.

Touché. My definition of comfort is understanding the system more. Confidence in knowing what to do equates to increased comfort. Part of what you’re describing above could be a result of overthinking. Could be a result of added pressure and expectations. It could be a few things. We don’t know. I think using tempo, no huddle, in essence simplified the game for Jake. He goes with first read and just plays. That imo could be a simple fix to being more productive. I do feel he’s more comfortable however and his pre-snap command illustrates that.

• Options

@706Dawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@706Dawg said:

@DawginSC said:
    "regression"

Touché. My definition of comfort is understanding the system more. Confidence in knowing what to do equates to increased comfort. Part of what you’re describing above could be a result of overthinking. Could be a result of added pressure and expectations. It could be a few things. We don’t know. I think using tempo, no huddle, in essence simplified the game for Jake. He goes with first read and just plays. That imo could be a simple fix to being more productive. I do feel he’s more comfortable however and his pre-snap command illustrates that.

No doubt he has learned some things, but he's lost more important things. Lost things can often be found though.
    I just hate what I'm seeing, Jake was on course to be a Mayfield type of playmaker, now his future looks murky.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@706Dawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@706Dawg said:

@DawginSC said:
    "regression"

No doubt he has learned some things, but he's lost more important things. Lost things can often be found though.
    I just hate what I'm seeing, Jake was on course to be a Mayfield type of playmaker, now his future looks murky.

Fair enough, I can’t debate what’s more important; too subjective. I’ve never seen anything that suggests he’s a playmaker with Fromm though. He’s not Baker, Tua, or maybe even Fields. He doesn’t have to be. Leverage his strengths and weapons and let the kid play imo. Fromm is a really good QB still developing but we may (Dawgnation) be putting too much pressure on him by comparing him to skill sets he doesn’t possess. JMO.

• Options

@706Dawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@706Dawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@706Dawg said:

@DawginSC said:
    "regression"

Fair enough, I can’t debate what’s more important; too subjective. I’ve never seen anything that suggests he’s a playmaker with Fromm though. He’s not Baker, Tua, or maybe even Fields. He doesn’t have to be. Leverage his strengths and weapons and let the kid play imo. Fromm is a really good QB still developing but we may (Dawgnation) be putting too much pressure on him by comparing him to skill sets he doesn’t possess. JMO.

Wow, you didn't see Jake becoming a playmaker last season ?...ok then.

• Options

@WCDawg said:

@706Dawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@706Dawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@706Dawg said:

@DawginSC said:
    "regression"

Plays within system? Of course. That’s not what I think of when I think of B. Mayfield. I believe in Fromm. I believe in Fields. I’ll leave it at that as I’ve read other posts here and don’t want to be put in a box of choosing sides. Just want our Dawgs to win. Nice chat this morning.

• Options
    donmdonm Posts: 10,241 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawginSC said:
    "regression"

Not sure why folks seem to have a hard time simply saying, "Jake had a bad game". Instead there seems to be a huge over analysis leading to he's regressed to he's too uptight etc. Doesn't Occam's razor tell us to take the simplest explanation?

• Options

@706Dawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@706Dawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@706Dawg said:

@WCDawg said:

@706Dawg said:

@DawginSC said:
    "regression"

Plays within system? Of course. That’s not what I think of when I think of B. Mayfield. I believe in Fromm. I believe in Fields. I’ll leave it at that as I’ve read other posts here and don’t want to be put in a box of choosing sides. Just want our Dawgs to win. Nice chat this morning.

We'll just have to disagree, Jake showed far more than just being ''a system QB throughout high school and last season. I think Mayfield is a very good template for what Jake could be if he'd progressed along the lines he played last season. He's rarely flashed those qualities so far this season though.

• Options
    greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2018

@706Dawg said:

@DawginSC said:
    "regression"

Doesn’t seem more comfortable this year to me. He seems a bit nervous and apprehensive. Something is off, no doubt. He had nothing to lose last year and knew Eason wasn’t getting his job back. This year he has Fields breathing down his neck. Seems to be overthinking things. Now I agree his teammates gotta help him out on the field, but each play begins with him, he’s the captain, and it’s his job to also get his shipmates on board with all hands on deck. I haven’t seen much of that this year. The identity still isn’t quite defined yet. Kinda just going through the motions with attempts to keep the ball moving. I do see one apparent thing that needs to change... we have GOT TO STOP throwing those silly little parallel line of scrimmage passes. We get NO forward movement and it’s gonna get our WR’s killed! Throw the ball down the field for the love of all that’s holy.

• Options
    PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A better explanation is that after a kid sees some success, people begin to respect and study him for weaknesses. They develop the "book" on him. Teams thought Jake couldn't throw last year, and that ended up being wrong. It really helped us and Jake. This year, they are starting to find some weaknesses. Jake has to answer those probes into his weaker areas by burning opposing DCs. Grantham wants him running for his life all afternoon. If he can hit a few big plays, taking advantage of the missing LBs/DBs, he'll be back in the groove. If he can't deal with it, we might see Fields. His legs present a totally different problem.

• Options

@PerroGrande said:
    A better explanation is that after a kid sees some success, people begin to respect and study him for weaknesses. They develop the "book" on him. Teams thought Jake couldn't throw last year, and that ended up being wrong. It really helped us and Jake. This year, they are starting to find some weaknesses. Jake has to answer those probes into his weaker areas by burning opposing DCs. Grantham wants him running for his life all afternoon. If he can hit a few big plays, taking advantage of the missing LBs/DBs, he'll be back in the groove. If he can't deal with it, we might see Fields. His legs present a totally different problem.

I don't buy that at all.

• Options
    TNDawg71TNDawg71 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think between the coaching change, expanding the playbook for him and losing Chubb and Michel, things are just a little tougher on the young man.

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@PerroGrande said:

I don't buy that at all.

That post was rude as ****. Nobody cares what you buy. Nobody was trying to sell you anything.

• Options

@levander said:

@WCDawg said:

@PerroGrande said:

I don't buy that at all.

That post was rude as ****. Nobody cares what you buy. Nobody was trying to sell you anything.

Sorry lady, get back in the kitchen.

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@WCDawg said:

@levander said:

@WCDawg said:

@PerroGrande said:

I don't buy that at all.

Sorry lady, get back in the kitchen.

Now that response was actually called for. I’ve managed to get you back in your comfort zone.

• Options
    Carlson231Carlson231 Posts: 19 ✭ Freshman

He isn’t regressing. He has good stats on the year, just had a bad game against LSU.

• Options
    PharmDawg2054PharmDawg2054 Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Fromm had a terrible game against LSU, that is no doubt

As others have mentioned on this same thread.... I personally do not think he has "regressed" but rather that he has not progressed this season to the level that we would like to see, but at the same time he is still a top tier SEC quarterback at this moment in time. Other than Tua there is not another QB in the SEC that I would rather have than Fromm or that I think is better than Fromm. So, while he may not have progressed as much as we would like, he has far from regressed or been terrible. (besides the LSU game.... that was terrible)

He has looked comfortable in the pocket and has done a good job of having pocket awareness that has allowed for him to shed some tackles by either stepping up in the pocket or leaving the pocket

His biggest downfalls this year that it is hard to disagree with is the fact that he is simply holding onto the ball for too long. If receivers are not open then either get rid of it or pick us up a few yards on your feet... but don't take the sack. The offensive line is giving him plenty of time to make these decisions, but seems he is making the wrong ones at times.

I believe Fromm may also be worried about Fields lurking over his shoulder and he wants receiver openings to be perfect so as to not make mistakes, leaving him to holding onto the ball longer

That being said receivers have been running the wrong routes and there have been a few crucial dropped passes.

I as well expected to see Fromm take a large step forward this year and even compete for the Heisman. Fromm is not a Heisman trophy candidate this year that is for sure... but saying he "regressed" would be wrong in my personal opinion

If you do think the he has regressed then I would be curious if Coley being the QB coach was not the ideal move

• Options

@PharmDawg2054 said:
    Fromm had a terrible game against LSU, that is no doubt

As others have mentioned on this same thread.... I personally do not think he has "regressed" but rather that he has not progressed this season to the level that we would like to see, but at the same time he is still a top tier SEC quarterback at this moment in time. Other than Tua there is not another QB in the SEC that I would rather have than Fromm or that I think is better than Fromm. So, while he may not have progressed as much as we would like, he has far from regressed or been terrible. (besides the LSU game.... that was terrible)

He has looked comfortable in the pocket and has done a good job of having pocket awareness that has allowed for him to shed some tackles by either stepping up in the pocket or leaving the pocket

His biggest downfalls this year that it is hard to disagree with is the fact that he is simply holding onto the ball for too long. If receivers are not open then either get rid of it or pick us up a few yards on your feet... but don't take the sack. The offensive line is giving him plenty of time to make these decisions, but seems he is making the wrong ones at times.

I believe Fromm may also be worried about Fields lurking over his shoulder and he wants receiver openings to be perfect so as to not make mistakes, leaving him to holding onto the ball longer

That being said receivers have been running the wrong routes and there have been a few crucial dropped passes.

I as well expected to see Fromm take a large step forward this year and even compete for the Heisman. Fromm is not a Heisman trophy candidate this year that is for sure... but saying he "regressed" would be wrong in my personal opinion

If you do think the he has regressed then I would be curious if Coley being the QB coach was not the ideal move

Call it a regression, call it a glitch, a slump, whatever.

He is definitely having problems in some areas where he shined last season.

1. Processing options. He is not as fluid and decisive.
    2. Deep throws, his timing and accuracy downfield has not been nearly as consistent as last season.

I think if Kirby is intent on getting the best results putting Chaney back as Jake's QB coach during this 2 week down period would have been a wise move.

• Options
    mleemlee Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Blame the coaches, receivers, or the Oline but you can’t blame Fields. He isn’t on the field when Fromm is playing and has to this point been a team player. Fromm had bad game and so did the rest of the team. Let’s hope they all play better this week.