Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Colin Kapernick has become face of Nike’s new ad campaign

Comments

• DawginSCDawginSC Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@jay_kubzz said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@jay_kubzz said:
    Under Bill Clinton: highest % of blacks ever incarcerated.

Under Obama: highest % of blacks ever on welfare.

Under Trump: highest % of blacks ever in the work force.

Trump wasn’t a racist until he stated he was running for the Republican Party.

I guess Herschel walker, Yeezy, and mike Tyson are all racist as well.

Great examples, lol. Mike Tyson and Kanye ....GTFOH with that .... how old are you son? Do you have any black friends or any friends from a different culture. You need som culture.

Yes I have black friends. I have white friends. I have Hispanic friends. I have a pakistanian friend. I’ve dated a black girl as well as a Latina girl. My gym partner for the past 6 years is black, my barber is Hispanic, my tattoo artist is black. I go to a church that has blacks, whites, Asians, Indians, Hispanics.

I respect all cultures regardless of differences, but I do not respect the idea of not supporting our military.

Just a point, but nobody who's ever taken a knee for the anthem has ever claimed it was about the military. In fact if you remember when all this started, Kap was sitting, not kneeling for the anthem. A Navy seal talked to him and said it could be seen as disrespectful to the military and suggested he take a knee instead as a compromise... which he did.

The kneeling thing isn't anti-military. It's anti-police.

• DawginSCDawginSC Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pgjackson said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@jay_kubzz said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@jay_kubzz said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@jay_kubzz said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@CharlestowneDawg said:

@jay_kubzz said:
    Just some quick stats
    Cop shootings in 2017:
    457 whites were killed by cops vs 223 blacks being killed by cops.

2018:
    211 whites killed vs 102 blacks.

Another stat, not all shootings by cops are by white cops.

Another shooting stat, in the past 365 days there have been 411 black on black homicides in CHICAGO alone, just one city. Think about that, ONE CITY. More blacks have killed blacks in one US city in the past year vs country wide cops have in a year and a half.

It’s a tragedy for both sides, but don’t for a second be fooled by how bias and manipulative mainstream media are. They’re pushing a certain agenda and fail strongly to bring all the stats into light.

When adjusted for population:

According to Fatal Encounters, the database created by former Reno News & Review editor and journalism instructor Burghart (which tracks all deaths resulting from interactions with police), a total of 1,388 people were killed by police in 2015, 318 (23%) of them black, and 560 (40%) of them white. So roughly 23 percent of those killed by any police interaction in 2015 were black and just over 40 percent were white. According to those statistics (adjusted for racial demographics), black people had a 2.7 higher likelihood of being killed by police than whites.

The grim trend has carried over into 2016. Of the 1,034 people killed and tracked by Burghart’s Fatal Encounters database so far this year, 215 were black while 338 were white, **so thus far in 2016 black Americans have been three times more likely than white people to die in interactions with police. **

@jay_kubzz this is a proper presentation of data. It’s okay you didn’t know any better. Ignorance is bliss, not a jab, just a relavent phrase. @jay_kubzz Did you take statistics ion college?

No I haven’t taken statistics and never will as I’m in nursing school at the moment. There’s really no arguing with someone as close minded as yourself. You’re one of the many unfortunate brainwashed by mainstream media.

On that note, at least we can all come together and support the dawgs.

So I should be more open minded to racist rhetoric. I hope your statistics about black people don’t cause you to compromise their care. The subconscious is a powerful thing.

Racist rhetoric? Those aren’t “my” statistics, they are real statistics. I don’t have a racist cell in my body. I just personally think sitting for the national anthem is so disrespectful for those who lay their life on the line for you and I. It’s ridiculous that everything has to be about race. Out of all the patients I’ve had the privelage to care for in clinical, I’ve had the best connection with 3 whom were all black males.

If you specifically remember three black people, that just shows that you are not around that many. It’s like seeing a unicorn. Go to sleep my child, this is adults conversation. Your cultural exposure doesn’t give you the privilege to contribute at this moment. But, keep living life, hopefully you will get “cultured”. Have you ever left the country?

No in the hospital setting where I’ve only had 10 patients so far I specifically remember all my patients. I’ve had 5 blacks, 4 whites and 1 Hispanic. Just the 3 that I had the best connection with have so happened to be black.

I’m not sure why you’re trying so hard to paint me as a racist just because we have different opinions on standing for the flag.

Never called you racist, you must have assumed that of yourself. I said you might need some cultural exposure. Go check all of the post where I addressed you. Got s link to that patient census? You lost my confidence when you put out those weak stats. Yet again you remember the race of all your patients that is a telling sign. Keep living life young man.

Man, once again you are looking for racism in everything. Your passive-aggressive BS is childish. You are absolutely calling people racist...but not calling people racist. It’s weak and played-out.

I'm not black... but I think you're racist. Feel free to freak out.

• MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BigDawgEatin said:

@PerroGrande said:
    Big Dawg, sad that your “protests” are worth more to you than the millions of lives that have been given for that flag and anthem. Also sad that you don’t understand why that might be offensive to most Americans. Nobody is endorsing racism. There is an appropriate way to address that—kneeling during the National Anthem is one of the worst possible ways I can think of to address that problem.

So how should black people protest, in order to make white people feel comfortable. Because if you feel comfortable you won’t give a Sh*t. So tell black people what’s a convenient protest. I remember in the sixties black people sat at counters and marched in the street. Yet white men put dogs on black people ,spit on them, busted them in the head with rocks and bottles, sprayed them with fire hoses. What was wrong with that protest ? Some of the offenders are still alive today and some are probably posting in opposition to Nike and akao right now.

Come on Man. There's more to life than bigotry and racism.
    You seem to have a big racial chip on your shoulder. The 60's were a turbulent time and the ugliness and horrific scenes you describe were indeed horrible.
    But times have changed. Time to move on man. That was 50 years ago.
    Maybe you should try to love your neighbor, instead of mistrusting him.

• ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2018

This is filled with a lot of wrong views and false narratives. The ad campaign as a whole (Serena included) has been getting nothing but rave reviews.

The fact that a man from the military met with Kap and said, "please don't sit, kneel. It's what the military does to respect its fallen brethren... But most of all its as if you're taking a knee to pray for both the country and the changes needed."

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/veteran-kaepernick-take-a-knee-anthem/

I dont get how such hate can be spewed out in this forum. I respect all of you but I am African American and I lived 18 years of my life (30 now) in a oppressed society, violent society, and racist world (Im from St. Louis, Mo). But even the simplest person has to see what the ad means. It is the thought that every elite athlete has, "Im willing to sacrifice everything for one thing." These athletes give up time, health, fun, etc for a end goal. Kaepernick had a different end goal. Malcolm X, Ghandi, MLK, etc all caused conflicts in their religion and countries but are now idolized because they had the foresight to sacrifice it all for the greater good. We all live different lives and my struggles arent you guys struggles but what you need to realize is GOD is more important than ANYTHING on this Earth (including a flag). So at the end of the day you shouldn't judge anyone thats God's job.

• greshamdiscogreshamdisco Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2018

The idea that Kapernick has “sacrificed everything” is a joke. It isn’t that most of us don’t realize and aren’t concerned with some over reaches of power or violence against blacks. That’s reality and justifiably brought up. But don’t glorify this has-been who has sacrificed nothing in order to stay in the spotlight. Ok... I’m done and agree that we should focus on what unites us: a love for the Dawgs and a hatred of things orange.

• mqg96mqg96 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited September 2018

Hate to get political here, but there are so many hardcore extreme right people on this forum who are so naive, but that's what you expect from a large portion of the UGA fanbase from the south. I guess everyone forgot how certain people who made sacrifices for our freedom and better equality sometimes had to break the law or get out of their comfort zone in order to address the issues in this country that weren't right at all.

• greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • BigDawgEatinBigDawgEatin Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2018

Time will judge my stance. Time always allows truth and love to rise above hate and bigotry. The only things I hate more than racism are gamecocks, gators, commadors, elephants, tigers, Vols, hogs, aggies,and land sharks ....Mississippi State you get a slight pass, can’t hate a bulldog.

• KaseyKasey Posts: 28,882 mod

I concur. But I would prefer Tillman be the face of the ad bc he actually did sacrifice things. Kap took a stand and has suffered the consequences. None of which was death

• Lefty13Lefty13 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

All I have to say to this is -- ALL LIVES MATTER--! Killing anyone no matter the sex, race, job, sexual orientation, political position or anything else are all equally bad and should be shunned by each and every one of us.

Go Dawgs!

• SoFL_DawgSoFL_Dawg Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

“Sacrifice” is subjective and could have different meanings. Pat Tillman clearly paid the ultimate sacrifice as others who choose to serve, fight, and lay down their lives for our country. There’s no greater sacrifice in respect to that.

Kap is/was a declining QB. I doubt he thought he’d be out of the league when he chose to sit/kneel two years ago but he did donate $1M to community improvement relations even while unemployed, and has been ridiculed more than any player in recent memory. I see that as a form of sacrifice, just lesser in comparison.

Powerful.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@umooner said:
    I wish I could kill this thread so much

Violence only begets violence.

@jay_kubzz said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@jay_kubzz said:
    Under Bill Clinton: highest % of blacks ever incarcerated.

Under Obama: highest % of blacks ever on welfare.

Under Trump: highest % of blacks ever in the work force.

Trump wasn’t a racist until he stated he was running for the Republican Party.

I guess Herschel walker, Yeezy, and mike Tyson are all racist as well.

Great examples, lol. Mike Tyson and Kanye ....GTFOH with that .... how old are you son? Do you have any black friends or any friends from a different culture. You need som culture.

Yes I have black friends. I have white friends. I have Hispanic friends. I have a pakistanian friend. I’ve dated a black girl as well as a Latina girl. My gym partner for the past 6 years is black, my barber is Hispanic, my tattoo artist is black. I go to a church that has blacks, whites, Asians, Indians, Hispanics.

I respect all cultures regardless of differences, but I do not respect the idea of not supporting our military.

I use a Chinese laundry...just kidding, it's Asian though..... :)

• mqg96mqg96 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@pgjackson said:

@BigDawgEatin said:

@Kasey said:
    Bc I agree that Kap is a poor choice for hero. But I still like their shoes the most.

With the phrase they used, Pat Tillman would’ve been a far superior choice

Yet Trump is middle and white americas hero, the person who actually rachetted this rhetoric to a grotesque level .

What does Trump have to do with this? Obama was Pres when Kap started this. And again with your “white” stuff. What did Obama do to try to address the issue?

I keep trying to tell people, we've been in the Trump era from Fall 2015 to present. Trump was already creating division around the country and revealing people's true colors even before he was elected in the primaries. Trump may have entered office in 2017, but he was already stirring stuff up around this country well before then. When Kaepernick first protested during the 2016 NFL preseason in August, Trump had long already been well known and very popular by everyone and the political media despite Obama still being at the tail end of his presidency, and Obama had absolutely nothing to do with the issues Kaepernick was protesting on. Kaepernick even stated that we should be ashamed that both Trump and Hillary were chosen as our candidates when there were so many better leaders out there around the Republican and Democratic parties who could have been chosen. Politics aside, Trump does not act presidential at all compared to all previous presidents in modern history who had heart & class regardless of what party they were in.

@Kasey said:

I concur. But I would prefer Tillman be the face of the ad bc he actually did sacrifice things. Kap took a stand and has suffered the consequences. None of which was death

A Tillman ad would be extremely conservative image wise for Nike, but Tillman was anything but a safe comfortable person for conservatives.
    He was a radically outspoken, libertarian atheist who had no use for people who waved flags while letting others do their fighting.

• PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Thelordjohnson said:
    This is filled with a lot of wrong views and false narratives.

Ok, I agree with your first sentence! Yes, the false narrative is—if you don’t think kneeling at National Anthem events is a good idea you are a racist. Oh, and also because you are from Georgia and root for the Dawgs! Haha!! Interestingly, I happen to agree that the police need to work and train to enforce the law fairly and safely—for everybody. I fully understand why many black Americans believe it isn’t enforced equally and fairly by some officers. And, I support working to eliminate racial profiling and mistreatment by the police. I’m for the stated goals of the protest! I am also very much in favor of supporting good police to enforce our laws. I suspect >95% of us would agree with those statements. All I am saying is that disrespecting our flag, anthem, and all they stand for is one of the worst possible ways to try to fix that problem. I believe it is a horrible mistake that will come back to bite us all. Professional athletes have a big influence on children. What are you teaching the next generation? If you see a problem, reach for the biggest shock you can to make a statement, or are you teaching them that our country, anthem and flag aren’t worth much? I like the former less than the latter, and I don’t like the latter at all. Burning the house down to let your parents know that you think they are unfair is always a bad idea imho. It leads to anarchy because the attitude will spread. I’m not a fan of these political boycotts, but I think the Nike boycott is in order.

• umoonerumooner Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawgNationDaily @JeffSentell @MikeGriffith

I'm not for censoring this kind of conversation, but this is not the place to have this discussion and its divisive amongst the members of this forum, our fanbase, and I'd imagine many of our players as well.

If you want to have this discussion somewhere find a politics forum. If you want to complain about the ad, go to the r/theDonald where there will be many like-minded individuals. No one is changing anyone's mind on this forum, and this will do nothing but drive people away.

I already bumped this thread way down last night only for it to come back to the top this morning. . .

PLEASE DELETE THIS THREAD

• PerroGrandePerroGrande Posts: 6,119 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

umooner, maybe they believe in free speech?