Home Diamond Dawgs Baseball
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Diamond Dawgs

Comments

• HornedDawgsHornedDawgs Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

2-1 UGA. The pitching is looking lights out

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited March 2019

Dawgs up 6-1 in the 6th. Cackalack going to the ‘pen again.

• MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jmo of course but I'm not understanding why this comment deserved a dv my man. Just the world we live in now I guess @WCDawg. It's ABSOLUTELY spot on. Best baseball n the country is SEC teams.

They looked good again tonite. We knew our pitching (specifically the starters) were gonna have to pull the load this year. What's great is we have a few guys like Webb, Smith, and of course Wilcox to start when needed, and provide some long relief if our starter that day doesn't have his a+ stuff. I believe Hancock, Wilcox and Webb will be our 123 guys nxt yr.

• WCDawgWCDawg Posts: 17,293 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Mac. it's a home board, there will always be sensitive types who only want to read bland cheerleading posts.

Your right is is a daunting one. The upside to it though is we get the gayturds, LSU, Mizzou, Bama, and Vandy at Foley. But have to go to Starkville, Lexington, Knoxville and awbarn. Sweeps are great of course but if we can not drop more than one series to anyone; we'll be setting ourselves up very nicely to possibly host a regional after the conference tourny.

Like the song said 2 out of 3 ain't bad lol. I can't say enough about what the pitching coach from Michigan that we brought in has done with not only the weekend big boys; but EVERYONE. We have some VERY talented arms that can start each wknd (or spot start when needed), or come out of the pen in relief. Shunk is nearly as good as a college closer can be; and he's our 3 hole hitter lol. Webb, Kristofak, Goodman, CJ Smith, and Glover seem to be for sure professional arms imo. My 1st hit in the minors was off of Pedro Borbon, but these guys have the stuff. It's VERY possible none mentioned here will ever be IN the show; but if they can stay healthy, I personally believe they'll see a few bigger stadiums and getting paid to do it.

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sounds like they just need to stay healthy and the sky is the limit

Except for the walks and more hit batters than we'd like, the pitching in all areas has been as good as I've seen in Athens since we SHOULD have got that ring in 2008. Hancock and Locey specifically have been almost untouchable. Elliot doesn't have as many starts as those 2 yet, but he's got a .50 ERA (with 16 K's in 18 innings, only 3 walks so far, and holding hitters to a .117 average.) I'd say we have the pitching to make a LONG run in '19; HOPEFULLY to Omaha.

Wilcox is coming around. Yea he hit 100 today which of course gets tons of looks from the scouts. But finding his command of the zone and being comfortable enough to trust his secondary pitches is what's gonna get him to superstar status. Good hitters TEE OFF on heat when they see you can't get your slider or change up over for strikes (even if someone could throw 105 mph.) Don't get me wrong; that heater is what makes him special, but without being able to go to secondary stuff and be effective with it has ended MANY careers for guys that I know personally that could hit high 90's or triple digits at times. He's gonna be VERY special, and most likely will be the top pick the year he leaves. But by then, he'll be able to throw his 88mph slider in a full count for a strike where a hitter is sitting on the gas (because he thinks he can only go to his fb when he HAS to throw a strike.) Advantage Wilcox making the hitter look ridiculous in that scenario.

Watch any MLB game and EVERY team (especially in the bullpen has guys that average 96-98.) It has completely changed the game from what it was 20 years ago. The key to hitting is TIMING. The key to pitching is DISRUPTING that timing by changing speeds, spots, arm slots etc. In Cole's case, as long as he works the whole zone; (inside & out, top to bottom) and becomes more comfortable throwing his change and slider (or curve) in hitter's counts such as 3-1 or 2-0, he will be out of this world successful and without question be the best pitcher in college by next season; or the end of it. Call me out if I'm wrong on it lol.

• Acrum21Acrum21 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What's the age distribution look like for the team? Pretty old? Young? Good balance?

edited March 2019

Well as far as STARTING pitching we should be fine. Hancock Wil b our ace again n the 1st slot, Wilcox will be n the 2nd and there's gonna be a battle for the 3rd spot. Webb, Smith, Gowan etc. That's IF the probables Do enter the draft. (Locey, Kristofak, Shunk will almost certainly go n a very high round. )

Offensively we need to sign some bats. Shepard, Shunk, Talley, and Maxwell will probably be gone.) Several RS sophomores that COULD test the waters. But Meadows and our new stud catcher from Tampa are back. And Jernigan ( freshman) will most likely be our leadoff guy in '20. He all but owns the LF spot after the past 10 games or so.

So a few really good position players, and some elite arms to work on the back end of the pen seems like the needs for next yr.

• bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just think if Sasser hadn’t gone goofy and we still had him helping the team out.

• DGD28DGD28 Posts: 200 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Tough loss tonight 1-0 considering we out hit them 8-3. Didn’t get it done with risp. Hopefully we bounce back tomorrow and Sunday.